GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Loose gear shift lever

Go down 
+4
waterbottle
Steak
beetle
delrey100
8 posters
AuthorMessage
delrey100
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
delrey100

Loose gear shift lever Empty
PostSubject: Loose gear shift lever   Loose gear shift lever Icon_minitime1Sun May 15, 2016 5:30 am

To all

The gear shift lever on my 07 GRiSO is loose. I see no way to get to the threaded pin that attaches the lever(no room).

Does anyone have experience addressing this problem? If so, what's the procedure for tightening the pin?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Loose gear shift lever   Loose gear shift lever Icon_minitime1Sun May 15, 2016 1:54 pm

If I remember correctly, simply removing the two lower screw/bolts with their spacers from the side plate will give you access.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Loose gear shift lever   Loose gear shift lever Icon_minitime1Sun May 15, 2016 2:37 pm

In order to replace my sheared off lever pivot I had to remove the entire "pork chop" to get at it. Easy enough though, just a few bolts to get after.

Not sure what is causing the looseness though, perhaps the pivot has worked it's way out...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Loose gear shift lever   Loose gear shift lever Icon_minitime1Sun May 15, 2016 4:47 pm

They have an O Ring on each side , to keep dirt out maybe ? One of my orings was broken with a bit missing, made it feel loose. Greased up, new orings, like new cheers
Back to top Go down
not-fishing
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
not-fishing

PostSubject: Re: Loose gear shift lever   Loose gear shift lever Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:56 am

My G11 with 46,000 miles became loose so I check this thread out.

Then pulled the pork chop and tightened up the loose shifter bolt.

A few things I noticed / did.

Supported the left side passenger footpeg assembly with a strap before taking it loose from the pork chop because it also supports the muffler.

Backed the upper bolt next to the wheel with a wrench because it's a nut and bolt connection through the pork chop.

Backed the lower bolts with a wrench because it's a nut and bolt connection through the pork chop and spacers.

Last edited by not-fishing on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Loose gear shift lever   Loose gear shift lever Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:06 pm

Thanks not-fishing, for the tip of the strap to secure the passenger footpeg assy.  

I have exactly the same issue with my 1100 with 47,000 km and I tried to take the pork chop off. Seemed a straightforward & simple job until I realised that the muffler is attached to it as well.

One other issue that scared me (and made me decide to bolt it all on again and to let the issue rest until "later") was how to disconnect the tie rod nr 9 from actual gear lever nr 1 (+the pork chop).  How did you do that?  Disconnect it at the top (nr 11) or bottom?  I was not sure how sensitive it all is so I cowardly decided to "wait & see".   Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Loose gear shift lever   Loose gear shift lever Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:51 pm

Disconnecting the rod is very simple. Look at the 'Neck' of the ball joint where it slips onto the ball on the lever. There is a clip. Rotate it off the 'Neck' and withdraw it upwards out of the joint. Once out the joint can be wriggled off the ball.

Pete
Back to top Go down
not-fishing
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
not-fishing

PostSubject: Re: Loose gear shift lever   Loose gear shift lever Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:25 am

bioman wrote:
Thanks not-fishing, for the tip of the strap to secure the passenger footpeg assy.  

One other issue that scared me (and made me decide to bolt it all on again and to let the issue rest until "later") was how to disconnect the tie rod nr 9 from actual gear lever nr 1 (+the pork chop).  How did you do that?  Disconnect it at the top (nr 11) or bottom?   I was not sure how sensitive it all is so I cowardly decided to "wait & see".   Very Happy

I didn't bother disconnecting the shift linkage. I let the pork chop hang on the rod and tightened up the bolt. it's a lazy home mechanic thing

If the shifter comes loose again I'll have to pull the shifter bolt, replace the o'rings, check the shaft and shifter lever for wear then lock-tight the bolt back in.

With all the tap-dancing I do on my commutes the G11 shifts real smooth.  My son and I purchased a V50-III about 6 months ago that we're resurrecting and I'm thinking I need to commute on it for a year to loosen up it's shifting.  It only had 13,000 miles on it.

Mark
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Loose gear shift lever   Loose gear shift lever Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:02 pm

Thanks guys!! Much appreciated. I will try replacing one or both of the 2 o-rings (nr 7 in above diagram) and expect that that will fix the issue.
Back to top Go down
fredfrenzy
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
fredfrenzy

PostSubject: Re: Loose gear shift lever   Loose gear shift lever Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:20 pm

bioman wrote:
My son and I purchased a V50-III about 6 months ago that we're resurrecting and I'm thinking I need to commute on it for a year to loosen up it's shifting. It only had 13,000 miles on it.

The linkage on the smallblocks at the back of the transmission is not very good. A few things can make it much better.  First clean and lubricate the pivot shaft in the frame where the shifter goes through - there is a plastic bush there that gets gummed up.   If you look at the shiftlinkage  on the back of the transmission it has a threaded rod with a ball joint on one end and a spit link on the other (45).  When I replace the split link with a ball joint, shifting on my V65 became much, much better.  Some one sells a kit, I think, but cheaper just to replace the link.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loose gear shift lever   Loose gear shift lever Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Loose gear shift lever
Page 1 of 1