GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Wilberized

Go down 
+7
Lemppari
waterbottle
whitmire
beetle
Steak
CPB
fishbulb
11 posters
AuthorMessage
fishbulb
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
fishbulb

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Wed May 18, 2016 1:49 am

Although I told myself I was not going to pour lots of money into a shock and pipe on the GRiSO like all my other bikes, well you know how that goes.
I have bought both Ohlins and Wilbers in the past, I went with the Wilbers for several reasons.  

The shock looks beautiful with rebound and both high and low speed compression damping
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Next to the stock piece

Seems a shame to have a nice upgrade hidden under the bike

For those wanting to teach themselves about suspension tuning the book Wilbers puts out is highly recommended.  A lot packed into one small book.

Why I went with Wilbers rather than Ohlins
I recently bought an Ohlins for my Versys and when I called the importer to find out what spring they would be installing based on rider weight I was told that nearly everyone gets the same spring as it comes from the factory unless the rider is very heavy or very light. The tech support guy named the range of weights which I don't remember but was a very wide range, at least 100 lbs.  So the Ohlins is a mass produced piece (nothing wrong with that) and the Wilbers is made to order with, according to the importer, a wider selection of springs. When shock came it was screwed up.

Not that hard to see something is wrong.  I sent pictures and explanations but was told repeatedly (through the retailer from the importer) that nothing was wrong.
Thankfully the retailer, SoloMoto exchanged it for me.  I know that Ohlins is a quality shock and this was an anomaly but to be told several times not to believe my lying eyes pushed me to the Wilbers for the GRiSO.

Still dialing it in but so far am happy, the shock is more compliant yet controlled over bumpy roads.  I would rate this an expensive ($1000 USD) but worth while upgrade.

But nothing has been as big an improvement to the bike as Mark's map.  Can't let the opportunity pass to publicly thank him for his efforts for us.

cheers,
Tod

beetle and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Wed May 18, 2016 4:21 am

Tod, congrats on the purchase.
Took me six months to get my head around how Hi & Lo speed work in conjunction with each other.
Read the book, and ask lots of questions. Once you make sense of it all and find the sweet spot there will be no turning back.

Downside is you'll never settle for stock suspension ever again.
Back to top Go down
fishbulb
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
fishbulb

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Wed May 18, 2016 3:24 pm

ghezzi wrote:
Tod, congrats on the purchase.
Took me six months to get my head around how Hi & Lo speed work in conjunction with each other.
Read the book, and ask lots of questions. Once you make sense of it all and find the sweet spot there will be no turning back.

Downside is you'll never settle for stock suspension ever again.

Agreed. I must have read that book a dozen times over the years.  Lots of sources for suspension information but I like this book the best although it is getting a little long in the tooth.
Back to top Go down
CPB
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
CPB

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 pm

looks great! My main (probably only) dislike of the GRiSO is the stock suspension. Will certainly consider an aftermarket suspension in the future.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Wed May 25, 2016 2:35 am

Fantastic! Now to find $1000...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Wed May 25, 2016 2:51 am

RIP Wilbur - Alan Young 1919-2016

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, unless the horse is Mister Ed.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
whitmire
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
whitmire

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:57 am

So who would be the preferred Wilbers/GRiSO distributor?
Back to top Go down
fishbulb
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
fishbulb

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:03 pm

whitmire wrote:
So who would be the preferred Wilbers/GRiSO distributor?

Ted Porter from the Beemer Shop in California is the US importer and very knowledgeable.  The are built to order in Germany so it takes some weeks to get one.
Cheers,
tod

PJPR01 likes this post

Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:49 am

Hey FishBulb ( how the ffff did you come up with that Razz ) just ordered the same wilbers shock, with a hydraulic preload adjuster, they sure are pretty. I like the idea of the hi and Low speed compression damping.
Back to top Go down
Lemppari
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Lemppari

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:36 am

waterbottle wrote:
Hey FishBulb ( how the ffff did you come up with that Razz ) just ordered the same wilbers shock, with a hydraulic preload adjuster, they sure are pretty. I like the idea of the hi and Low speed compression damping.  

Pictures in high demand when you get the shock . I ride with pillion every weekend and have thought about the same shock absorber. The difference in price over the 'basic' model is not that big .
Back to top Go down
fishbulb
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
fishbulb

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:25 pm

waterbottle wrote:

I kind of wish I had gotten the one with remote preload as changing it for a passenger is too much trouble to bother with.  Don't expect night and day differences to the stock right off the bat.  I found the as delivered preload used up half the shock stroke with my weight on the bike and I am light (150lb) so follow all the usual advice on setup starting with sag.  The high and low speed adjustment is nice once you understand what they do.  And, as you say, they sure are pretty.  We kid ourselves sometimes by saying all we care about is function but when the upgrade looks nice as well it just encourages popping a beer and just looking at it sitting in the garage.  BTW, what spring did they supply with yours (and what is your weight).  Fishbulb is a Simpsons reference, from one of my favorite episodes.  Please let us know how it goes.
cheers,
tod
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:22 pm

Tod: It will be a couple of weeks before I see it, I ordered it to cater for my dressed riding weight of around 92 kg/ 203 lb., so it's coming with a 600 in lb spring, and I can wind it up a bit when touring with baggage. GRiSO standard spring is supposed to be around the 543 in lb rating, Your 150lb ? did you have a leg taken off Shocked
Cheers
Back to top Go down

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:24 am

Ron, its not wise to refer to Jan as ........."baggage". Razz
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:37 am

ghezzi wrote:
Ron, its not wise to refer to Jan as ........."baggage". Razz

Ohhh Maaa, I'm telling No
Back to top Go down
fishbulb
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
fishbulb

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:28 am

waterbottle wrote:
Tod:     It will be a couple of weeks before I see it, I ordered it to cater for my dressed riding weight of around 92 kg/ 203 lb.,  so it's coming with a 600 in lb spring, and I can wind it up a bit when touring with baggage.  GRiSO standard spring is supposed to be around the 543 in lb rating,  Your 150lb ? did you have a leg taken off Shocked
Cheers

"did you have a leg taken off"   My wife and I laughed our asses off over that.  Thanks for a laugh.

The spring on my  Wilbers is progressive (which is different from Ohlins which uses straight wound springs) and is 100 to 150 N/mm.  Force per unit length.  I don't understand in lb as your spring rate.  Please help me convert.

tod
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:51 am

Tod, Mine is coming with a 105 N/mm or 10.71 Kg/mm Boing
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:54 am

Well, thanks to Pete Roper and his best boy Izzy, a new Wilbers has arrived, with a windy bit to adjust the spring pre-load.  The box, daughters bitch Molly and Pepperjack, always Christmas at Ron's place cheers

The Shock

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:10 pm

Phwoooaaar!

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:29 pm

Nice tits, bits. Damn that predictive text.
Back to top Go down
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:58 pm

Big.
Back to top Go down
Lemppari
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Lemppari

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:27 pm

I'm sold
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:05 am

Noice.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:00 pm

Waterbottle, please post a few updates as you go with this. It's a magnificent looking piece of kit!

I'm about 75kg myself (165 pounds), and the stock rear suspension doesn't work well for me at all. I find it very harsh, even with the damping backed way off. Really keen to see what you think of it, and where you got it/who you contacted.

Thanks,
Brent
Back to top Go down
Tricksteur
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Tricksteur

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:12 am

waterbottle wrote:
Well, thanks to Pete Roper and his best boy Izzy, a new Wilbers has arrived, with a windy bit to adjust the spring pre-load.  The box, daughters bitch Molly and Pepperjack, always Christmas at Ron's place  cheers

The Shock

How’s it working out water bottle? I’m about to upgrade mine on a 2010 GRiSO 1200.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wilberized Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilberized   Wilberized Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Wilberized
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Inspiration-
Jump to: