12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Red Wine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
wyno
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:22 am

I had a Graham Stevens 2006 Cab Sav when we visited Heather's sister in Millicent last week. Definitely the best wine I've had for about 10 years. I checked their website but they've only got 2011 and 2012 available now. Bummer.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:36 pm

Picked this one up in Root-A-Rower ..... or Rotorua. Very nice
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:39 am

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:47 pm

I love that movie, but it's unfortunate that it nearly wiped out Merlot. It's just in the last couple years that the Santa Ynes growers have quietly started growing Merlot again. The grapes do really well there and many of them switched to Syrah because of this movie's influence on demand. Many people failed to realize that Miles was completely full of shit! I love going into hip wine bars and ordering Merlot! Razz
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:49 pm

This movie nearly wiped out Merlot? Awesome! I hate Merlot. Death to Merlot. Might as well drink tap water.

Cabernet Merlot. One step up from tap water. I have two bottles of The Butterfly Effect Cab-Merlot. Who wants 'em?

Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:26 pm

LBC Tenni wrote:
I love that movie, but it's unfortunate that it nearly wiped out Merlot. It's just in the last couple years that the Santa Ynes growers have quietly started growing Merlot again. The grapes do really well there and many of them switched to Syrah because of this movie's influence on demand. Many people failed to realize that Miles was completely full of shit! I love going into hip wine bars and ordering Merlot! Razz

Yeah, but it was a boon for the Willamette Valley as sales of Pinot Noir went through the roof!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:29 pm

To whom it may concern...

If I retract my statement, will you give me back my cred?

?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:34 pm

There is only Shiraz (old, brown tinged, and most excellent) and other "pretenders" - just saying!
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:52 pm

Merlot can be excellent in the hands of the right winemaker. The trouble is most of it is mass-produced swill. I think this is true of all the grapes though. There is a small winery in Los Olivos called Dreamcote, that has a "secret weapon" red wine they call Goat on a Rope. It's the last one on the tasting list and it's really excellent. After you try it, they ask you to guess the grape. It's hilarious watching all the aspiring wine snobs sing its praises, only to be told it's... Merlot.  Shocked  You really can't judge a wine by the label or the grape. drunken
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:45 pm

Sideways is on Presto. I might watch it.

Suspect
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:11 am

A&R "Boy Meets Girl" Shiraz Viognier

Mild nose, low acidity & very smooth. Mild bitter aftertaste is awesome. Needs a few minutes to air, but otherwise, I can't fault it.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:16 pm

Penfolds Grange 2012. Just released. If I hadn't spent all my map money on Estonian hookers and blow, I might be able to buy one. Estimated cost ~$920 AUD.

Any takers?

Back to top Go down
wyno
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:24 pm

Not yet. I haven't won tattslotto.
Back to top Go down
bioman
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:29 am

beetle wrote:
Estimated cost ~$920 AUD.

Any takers?

Good suggestion!  I will sell my 2007 GRiSO and buy 5 bottles of Penfolds Grange instead.

Seriously though, I like my wine but how do they dare to ask such prices? Do they cut each bunch of grapes with a silver pair of scissors? Do they polish each grape before gently squeezing it? Do they hand-carve each mediterrean oak barrel?
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:13 am

bioman wrote:

Seriously though, I like my wine but how do they dare to ask such prices? ............

It's called going after the market of people that have more money than brains.
Which is mostly rich dumb ass Snobs, same people paying $8.00 for coffee at Starbucks. LOL

I NEVER pay more than $12 for a bottle of wine and that includes French wine or any other...
I'm a Malbec/Cotes du Rhone kinda guy and you'll find very good wine for less than that price in the US.

Too lazy to post a picture but Costco has a very good wine for $9.00 right now... Lopez de Haro 2010 from Spain.
Also a few Argentinian Malbec in the $10/$11 price range etc...
If Total Wine is in Canada, check those guys out as well...good wine for a good price.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:23 pm

We pay a tad more here 'cos, you know, the Aussie dollar is worth about 5¢ US, but irrespective, I agree with you Pascal. The wine wankers will be waxing lyrical about its notes of dog's arse and pine forrest mulch, flavours of pig's swill and tepid offal, and will get woodies when offered a taste. I doubt I'd get any more enjoyment from it than a $15 Shiraz.

I love you
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:38 pm

We had some really quite acceptable DOC reds we bought at supermarkets in small towns in Italy that cost €4.00! No, they wouldn't set the world alight and none of them had that, "Smack around the taste buds with a cricket bat" depth or richness of a good *Cheapish* Aussie Shiraz or Cab but they were quite drinkable.

The thing with Grange is its like any other 'Status Symbol'. It isn't bought to drink. It's bought to say you are so rich that you can waste a grand on the frivolity of a *Name* wine.

Sadly, my red drinking days are going to be seriously curtailed. My gout has gone beserk the last few times Jude and I have shared a bottle. I fear that on my return to Oz I may have to go on the wagon for six months to flush the system. What a waste! Sad
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:59 pm

Penfolds Grange - this is one of the few wines worldwide that does not have a RRP! Why, because Penfolds don't want it to be like any other wine on the market, despite it consistently taking out the best red award year after year, and that is globally.

I have drunk it (well, the odd vintage and none of them are bad, else it wouldn't be on the market in the first place) and despite it regularly getting 100 points (is there collusion with tasters and Penfolds?), you can buy a $20 bottle that will get in excess of 90 points and most people could not tell the difference anyway.

Grange will come into a retailer at around the $300-$350 mark, RRP whatever they can get.

I remember when my dad was turning 80, and I gave him an $80 bottle of St Andrew's Shiraz. He waited till there was an auspicious occasion to crack it and I was there (luckily, or there would have been trouble). He was quite excited and presented the bottle out of the fridge! I nearly spewed the contents of my guts onto the dinner table - sacrilege I say! Had it been kept horizontal, carefully righted, opened to breathe (or even carefully decanted) I would have enjoyed it immensely. However on this occasion, it left a bad taste in my mouth. It sat in front of me in a glass for about an hour, with comments like "don't you like it". I was letting it breathe and assume a normal temperature. Sheesh!

No wonder I turned out to be a bogan black beer drinking type person
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:00 pm

Pete you can flush it out with beer at Lue - no harm in that I think.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:20 pm

Tony, my sister mistreats reds like that too, and I thought I was a bogan...

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:26 am

beetle wrote:
We pay a tad more here 'cos, you know, the Aussie dollar is worth about 5¢ US, but irrespective, I agree with you Pascal. The wine wankers will be waxing lyrical about its notes of dog's arse and pine forrest mulch, flavours of pig's swill and tepid offal, and will get woodies when offered a taste. I doubt I'd get any more enjoyment from it than a $15 Shiraz.

I love you

Yeah, that's the point I tried to make Mark, and I was speaking in a general sense as I have no clue of other market's pricing.
Even back in the days in France, I always got the "non-snob" wines.
Also, and it's a very important point...when a season turns out mediocre, say lots of rain etc... all wine production will be mediocre including Chateau Lafite and all the flamboyant names out there. lol It's physics so a $1000 should be reduced to $5.00 because it's redden piss in that year, not wine.
So it pays to do some research about what year was good or not.

I'm speaking France since it's the Country I know and was born there but the city of Nimes is on average the sunniest city in the whole Nation...so it means that wine is more likely to turn out above average there even in a bad year. It's essentially Cotes du Rhone wine because of being in the South by the Rhone Valley.
See is you can grab some wine from there in your area, (any domain name) and report back... It's called Costieres de Nimes and it's priced cheap in the US and even in France.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:50 am

Permit me to differ apropos the "refrigerator thing."

Those of us who do not have dedicated wine cellars or coolers have challenges in serving reds at (what I believe  scratch  are proper) temps.

In summer, we keep our better wine downstairs in our basement "mechanical room" (long story, but think various utility controls) where it stays mostly in the upper 60's(F).  

In winter, we have to bring up to the laundry room, which is only theoretically heated, i.e., rarely hits 70F.

So, we do occasionally refrigerate even quite fine wines for a brief period before meals.   Shocked

And, lest some cringe too much from that, we also bring them out before the meal and allow to come up a bit before decanting and serving.

I find such way preferable to how, e.g., my (detestable pig ) s-i-l serves reds in the "80's" (F!) on the theory -- usually pompously announced -- that "everyone knows that one only chills whites, but serves reds at room temperature."

Cannot believe I am writing about wine at 7:45 in the a.m. Rolling Eyes  Off now to walk around the place with Kathi and a hot cup of coffee.  queen Very Happy

Ciao!

Bill
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:55 pm

the ideal temperature to cellar all wines (colour is ignored here) is 12-14 degrees C. If outside these temperatures some things might happen, namely too warm and the wine will age prematurely, too cold and it will go into hibernation and maybe never come out. We keep ours in a cupboard that seems to stay fairly constant and I haven't lost a wine yet. There are a few that are getting to the stage of "better drink it soon or it might be vinegar" so I need to make an effort. Damn shame!

But serving at 2 degrees is RONG!

I have seen people with a vintage port leave it in the sun for a whole day and then drink it, especially if the year was a dodgy one. Don't love port so I didn't try it.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:09 pm

Port! Vintage/Tawny, of course. None of this Ruby shit. I see another thread appearing.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:45 pm

throw in Tokay and a few of the other "varieties" like chocolate port (can't stand the stuff), pyjama port (Yeah drink it you pass out so better be in your jimjams).

Tia Maria and Kahlua I can partake in, but, hey, a good black rum after copious back beers, with a good bottle of Shiraz thrown in over dinner does me (actually it does me in these days - and is not compatible with my blood pressure medication - don't ask me how I know)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Wine    Today at 3:42 am

Back to top Go down

Red Wine
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: