12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Battery Reco...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WCB
Biondino
Biondino

PostSubject: Battery Reco...   Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:32 am

So, I forgot to pull the main fuse out of Jacquie's GRiSO so that the battery wouldn't run down over the winter. Usually we get more riding in during the winter so it's never been an issue before.

I went to put the Battery Tender on it the other day and it wouldn't come up past 12.3 so that's the end of that I guess. Anybody got a battery that they've used that they like? I typically use Westco's on the bikes, but looking at their site, it doesn't appear they really have a good replacement as they one's listed for the "1200's" are only 14 ah, and if I'm not mistaken, the Stelvio and GRiSO use an 18 ah battery.

Thanks,

Doug

Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:11 am

motobatt MBTX16U is a good non leaking choice

Back to top Go down
WCB
Biondino
Biondino

PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:08 am

Awesome. Thanks. Is the Motobatt an AGM battery?
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:59 am

WCB wrote:
Awesome. Thanks. Is the Motobatt an AGM battery?
it is a factory sealed agm type, the size is just a little off but it works out ok, been using one in the Stelvio
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:29 am

Yeah, those yellow MOTOBATTs are a good value.  I put one in my little Suzuki, good stuff.  The only issue for the GRiSO vs. the YUASA for eg., is that the MOTOBATT doesn't have a recess in the top to accommodate the locking bracket in the GRiSO's battery box.  It's no big deal as that battery isn't going anywhere, snugged in there.  Just make sure you store the "battery fixing plate" somewhere you won't lose it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:19 am

To be honest I have never had a problem with the standard batteries. Yes they aren't the cheapest but they fit, do the job and as long as they are put into service as per the instructions they will last very well. The biggest problem they have is that goons insist on simply pouring in the acid, flinging them in the bike and pressing the starter button. You have to let them sit for a period of time, (the manufacturer says a couple of hours but I always leave them overnight.) to allow the acid to be absorbed by the mats. Then they should be given a charge for a couple of hours before being put into service.

If they are used before the acid has a chance to be absorbed it just gets blown out of the cells all over the bike and the plates warp and short greatly reducing both the efficacy of the battery and its lifespan.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:02 am

In the us another alternative is the cycle gear blue gel batteries, they cost more like $200 but they have a goofy long lifetime replacement warranty (which they never make) so it is a buy once for life thing...if cycle gear has annoyed you, they are all over the place so that can be helpful.  I do not do this as I hate getting stranded CG batteries tend to die suddenly.

For really good Batteries Hard to beat Deka is hard to beat Better than yuasa (even the yuasa from japan factory)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery Reco...   Today at 1:42 am

Back to top Go down

Battery Reco...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: