GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

2nd ride 715 mile with pillion

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
boxerscott
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
boxerscott

2nd ride 715 mile with pillion Empty
PostSubject: 2nd ride 715 mile with pillion   2nd ride 715 mile with pillion Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:19 pm

So before our Iberian tour in October we (the missus and I) tested our GRiSO with all luggage fitted, comms, sat nav, hipster riding gear etc. 715 mile round trip down to Surrey and back on Fcukin shxte UK motorways in the main, Blocked each and everyone of them, loadsa filtering between tankers, car transporters and drunken man running in and out of traffic on the M18 causing a rolling traffic stop. So a mega return journey today, thankfully no rain but dazzling low sun at 9pm just as we turned west off the motorway for the generally fantastic b road from Northumberland into the Borders.

Two up with luggage on the b roads not good. I suspect my bike is completely standard and has never been tinkered with, low mileage now 6K. So the shocks are not knackered. The bike juddered on every abrupt mis alignment of road surface and wallowed on undulations steering like a cow when unsettled. I am now comparing with my BMW R1100s BCR which handled the twisty stuff 2 up with luggage very precisely even when things got out of true with the road surface. I suspect I need to set up the suspension front and rear for two up riding even though our lass is definitely not a salad dodger and neither am I. Joint mass with kit on 21 stone.

I hope my bike has been tinkered with and there is room to stiffen thing up but at the moment change is required and before someone sez buy some Ohlins my answer to that is F.R.O.

Next we both noticed resonance in our feet, Today I was wearing race boots, first ride I wore BMW riding sneekers which cushioned things to the point of unnoticeable. I suspect the metal footpegs do help by conducting resonance, so this may be a footwear issue rather than an oversight at MG.

Other issue was the seat, both of us felt it was hard. Noticing numb bum app. after 80 miles.

In fairness this was an endurance test on shxte roads, boring and fatiguing mentally and physically. We wanted to eliminate issues before we set off for our tour.

However on the B roads we were both slightly disappointed with the handling. Any helpful suggestions other than buying Ohlins, another Bmw or a proper touring bike will be gratefully appreciated. BTW It pulls like a train in top on the " clear section" of motorway. I so do love this power plant.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 2nd ride 715 mile with pillion   2nd ride 715 mile with pillion Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:40 pm

Buy Wilbers. Or Matris. Or Penske. Very Happy

What exhaust does it have?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: 2nd ride 715 mile with pillion   2nd ride 715 mile with pillion Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:23 pm

Beetle map will make all things smoother.

Your suspension has pre-load, compression and rebound damping at both ends.
Have you tried setting it up, adjusting things?

What tyres do you have? What pressures are you running? And their condition?

After that, check here.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Orange column, rate number, -54 = 800lb spring might be what you need.
Back to top Go down
boxerscott
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
boxerscott

PostSubject: Re: 2nd ride 715 mile with pillion   2nd ride 715 mile with pillion Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:37 am

Tyres? Good point. Front is I believe original, Metz.sptec M3 6k miles with legal tread but lost it`s profile and needs changing, that will not help no doubt and was conscious of that being iffy if it rained or being pushed enthusiastically. Rear is a Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 11. That is as new, I am sure of that when I bought it and I believe I am the only person to have put any miles on it so less than 900 miles. I have not checked the pressures and I should have done Embarassed The wallowing could be related to deflation, I hope it is. It came with a very tired battery so maybe other checks were not done at point of sale.

Never even read the manual so would not know how to adjust the suspension or check if it was stock setting or even what the correct tyre pressures for two up are. Not planning any wholesale changes, I know I have bought a roadster and not a tourer but with our lass weighing less than 8 stone felt I could get away with buying something I like the look of.

Standard zorst (I like) Engine is no better or worse than all my other lumpy twins so no plans for spending money in that department. looking for a wee bit firmer ride and comfort in the posterior.

Will check the tyre pressures though that is an obvious starting point I bypassed.

Chris.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 2nd ride 715 mile with pillion   2nd ride 715 mile with pillion Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:47 am

Tyres are a good starting point. The stock spring is under sprung and over damped, so replacing the spring would be the cheapest option.

Stock zorst isn't vibey. I was just looking for a source of vibes. Another thing you might consider is replacing the pegs with 1100 units. They have a rubber foot pads.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: 2nd ride 715 mile with pillion   2nd ride 715 mile with pillion Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:18 am

Chris, this was written by my mate Dave in 2009, (early 1100 GRiSO suspension settings for fat geezers)
could be a good starting point, others please chime in .................... is this still relevant to Chris's 1200?

Finally got sick of my suspension assaulting my spine so on the weekend i paid someone to set it all up for me, and the change is :woohoo: .
The settings were done based on 110kg.

All settings are from fully wound in, hardest settings.
Front.
Sag 33mm
Comp 2 turns
Rebound 3/4 turn
Tyre Pressure 33lb

Rear
Sag 32mm
Comp 3 Turns
Rebound 15 clicks. When 2 up, 11 clicks
Tyre Pressure 36lb

This guy is an ex racer who now runs Q-ride diding school. He really explained in simple terms how it all works and how much the tyres play a part in the whole process. By looking at my back tyre he was able to tell how i rode, which is hard into a corner, backing off a little and then hard out. So i am tearing up the edges. And he was right :blush: .

I have always run my pressures at 38-40 psi so when i went for a test after he made some adjustments and i could really feel the pressures were to high. He then set the pressures as above once the tyres had cooled off and i went for another test. When i got back he checked them again and the pressures had gone back up to where they had been.

So it turns out i have basically been cooking the tyres, therefore reducing the life and the handling capabilities.
I also had mismatched tyres, a 55 profile front and a 60 rear at 170 wide. This means that when the rear is at it's edge the front still has some way to go. I am changing the rear to a 180/55.

So on the 80klm ride home i was able to make some findings.
1. No more spine assaulting. Nice and smooth with plenty of feel.
2. Heavier steering, but very stable through the corners.
3. No more scary diving when front braking.
4. The whole package is easier to ride which means i can probably ride quicker.

So, if you're about my weight give these settings a go, i'm sure they will work for you.
Now i can't wait to get my new tyre and go for a blast.
Back to top Go down
boxerscott
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
boxerscott

PostSubject: Re: 2nd ride 715 mile with pillion   2nd ride 715 mile with pillion Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks for all that, very interesting. As it transpired the tyre pressures were all to cock. 30 psi front and wait for it...18psi rear. That ride did the rear tyre a load of good then. I am so embarrassed and ashamed that I sat my missus on a badly prepared bike. Trusted the dealer implicitly but I should Know better the bike has been stood doing f.all for months. My fault. The 1100 pegs sound a possibility for the missus her soles are quite hard. I would not describe the peg thing as vibey, it was something we both commented on but it turned into an endurance test and we would not want to ride so long on motorways ever again on any bike. Niether of us are having second thoughts about the bike cos we spent ages looking at everything out there from sport adventure to cruisers. We never ever read a bad journo report on the GRiSO. I am sure we will get the balance right. We both think the seat is a must for her though.

Thanks for the input gentlemen Smile

Chris
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: 2nd ride 715 mile with pillion   2nd ride 715 mile with pillion Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi Chris, You said : Next we both noticed resonance in our feet. I had a similar feeling with my 09 GRiSO. As this was my first guzzi I thought it was quite normal, No it's not.
My feet and hands would get numb on long rides. I had the long Stucci head protectors fitted at the time and the Left one would vibrate so bad at 100 kph you couldn't put your hand on it, and it cracked a couple of times requiring removal to re weld. The Right one would vibrate at around 120 kph as the left one smoothed out.  Same with the mirrors, blurring out at different speeds, I could actually tell my road speed by what parts of the bike were vibing.
What cured it was a good tune up. Setting the valve clearances and synchronizing throttle bodies very accurately got rid of most of the Vibes,  and a Beetle map made it even smoother. I guess bikes can be different too, My 15 model is glass smooth while the 09 is ok.
When you get to where you think it's smooth and acceptable, load up a new map, you will notice a difference.

(OH. Only One air bleed should ever be open, mine had both open from new)
Also, check the exhaust where it runs past the side stand, Mine was rubbing there and caused more niggling vibes.
Safe riding Smile
Back to top Go down
Ekimyrf
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Ekimyrf

PostSubject: Re: 2nd ride 715 mile with pillion   2nd ride 715 mile with pillion Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:46 pm

Hi Chris the only way I can get my wife on the GRiSO is with an airhawk,  I also fitted a peg lowering kit,  but all in vain as I have also got an R1100S (mandarin silver bumble bee not a lush BCR) and that is all she will go on now.   The S is in a different league to the GRiSO handling wise but it dosent come close for character.

If i could only keep one it would have to be the Beemer it is just so accomplished but the GRiSO gets under your skin.
Back to top Go down
boxerscott
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
boxerscott

PostSubject: Re: 2nd ride 715 mile with pillion   2nd ride 715 mile with pillion Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Yeh, know exactly where you are coming from. I loved my 1100s but it has gone and life moves forward. It too had it`s issues and character. Always wanted a guzzi. The GRiSO was my guzzi intro as I suspected that I could get away with convincing my missus it was a two up bike, just like when I bought the bcr. Guzzis are special and you get it or you don't. I love my GRiSO as I do all the bikes I choose. Warts and all. The build quality however far exceeds that of the noughties bmw`s. The GRiSO is well made a solid bike that will last and the styling is just superb. I love the detailing on this bike everywhere you look there is typical Italian designer style. It is an overt collection of components and genres of bikes, you can envisage cruiser,roadster sports bike, retro,muscle at every angle. A work of art in a class of one.

Guzzi is living proof that God wanted us to be happy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2nd ride 715 mile with pillion   2nd ride 715 mile with pillion Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

2nd ride 715 mile with pillion
Page 1 of 1