GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Lightened Flywheel

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

Lightened Flywheel Empty
PostSubject: Lightened Flywheel   Lightened Flywheel Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:27 am

So I got a mini catalog from Brian-Ghezzi after inquiring about a carbon fiber front fender.

He has a lightened flywheel for the 1100.

I've seen this as a mod for Ducati's but never a guzzi. What is the benefit of doing this? Faster revving?
Back to top Go down
http://jasonedwardphoto.com
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Lightened Flywheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightened Flywheel   Lightened Flywheel Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Assume here (until Pete chimes in...) that yes faster revving. However, the mass of the flywheel also gives the incredible torque effect we so much like in our bikes. Like everything, tradeoffs are just that.
Back to top Go down

Lightened Flywheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightened Flywheel   Lightened Flywheel Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:14 pm

MK111 Le Mans with the clunky 5 speed box, lightening the flywheel 25% made a huge difference to smoothness of gear change. Didn't notice loss of torque but rebuilt top end at the same time.
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

Lightened Flywheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightened Flywheel   Lightened Flywheel Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:46 pm

Birch wrote:
So I got a mini catalog from Brian-Ghezzi after inquiring about a carbon fiber front fender.

He has a lightened flywheel for the 1100.

I've seen this as a mod for Ducati's but never a guzzi. What is the benefit of doing this? Faster revving?

Yes, faster revving, including faster acceleration. But the 1100's already is much lighter than, say a Tonti's.  4.27 pounds for the 1100, versus 7.29 for a LeMans III. Not much metal left to remove, I think.

For big torque [really, inertia] effects, the Ambassador's 12.8 pounds or the T3's 9.4 pounds are where it's at.

Moto

(See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for a table of flywheel weights.)
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Lightened Flywheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightened Flywheel   Lightened Flywheel Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:15 am

In theory you can go to an alloy flywheel and then slot the ring gear but the reduction in rotating mass is really going to be pretty minimal. Although I've used alloy flywheels many times over the years with older bikes with good results, (In fact, strangely, the alloy wheels seem on the whole to last better than the steel ones! I have no idea why!?).

The flywheel is basically simply a 'Battery' for kinetic energy. There are always trade offs going either heavier or lighter. I personally like a bit of weight in the flywheel and find the slightly heavier single plate clutch/flywheel assembly used in the 8V to be a well nigh perfect compromise for me. This isn't to say it is/would be ideal for everyone.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lightened Flywheel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightened Flywheel   Lightened Flywheel Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Lightened Flywheel
Page 1 of 1