12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...
 
HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Stelvio (I need one)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bioman
Tiradritto
Tiradritto


Posts : 348
Join date : 2014-05-06

PostSubject: Stelvio (I need one)   Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:38 pm

I have realised that I need a Stelvio, to keep the GRiSO company and for future long-ish trips across the continent.  

I know that some of you own or have owned a Stelvio, and was hoping that you could give me some tips, pitfalls and do's & dont's when looking for a good deal for a '12 or later model.  For example: this seems a good one (apart  from the fact that it is has a respectable mileage and is parked 4000 km away...): LINK.  

What can you advise a potential Stelvio buyer?


Last edited by bioman on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato


Posts : 1904
Join date : 2013-05-28
Age : 51

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:08 pm

Buy one.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO


Posts : 3767
Join date : 2013-05-29
Age : 59

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:22 pm

Usual caveats. Buy a roller tappet model, (Mid 2012 is supposed to be the changeover but anything 2012 I'd be insisting on having a peek under the rocker cover.) grease the swingarm bearings and shock linkages on purchase. Go ride.

Good maps are available for both 1L and 2L models but 2012 on will all be 2L.
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato


Posts : 1904
Join date : 2013-05-28
Age : 51

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:35 pm

1L and 2L? What's that all about? I'm not aware of that designation.

All of the Stelvios are 8V motors, roller lifters came mid 2012 with the NTX changes which also included 8.5 vs 4.5 gallon fuel tanks, improved fairing configuration, spoked wheels in the ADV standard configuration.

You should be good to go with any NTX model.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
bioman
Tiradritto
Tiradritto


Posts : 348
Join date : 2014-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks, guys, for the comments! Much appreciated.

Question: the bike in the link in my original post has its original clutch replaced by a California 1400 clutch. What is that all about? Is that a good thing?

Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
Grignapoco
Grignapoco


Posts : 178
Join date : 2014-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:06 pm

Steak wrote:
1L and 2L?  What's that all about?  I'm not aware of that designation.

You should be good to go with any NTX model.

1L (single lambda sensor in exhaust system) found on older model with small fuel tank, I think

2L (twin lambda sensors) for better fuelling in newer models with large fuel tank,

Bioman, I think the Stelvio is a great companion for the GRiSO, The Stelvio for bad winter weather and long journeys and the GRiSO for nice sunny dry days,

Im not sure about the difference in the California clutch, a lot of the Stelvio clutches give a little groan when first moving off from cold but not a problem.

I'd just make sure the proper oil was used and that it definitely is rollerised, all the better if it has a service history. It is a big top heavy tall bike when at a stop so you need to eat your porridge if you are moving it loaded around aparking lot Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
bioman
Tiradritto
Tiradritto


Posts : 348
Join date : 2014-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks Guzzi Cat.

In the mean time I have realised that the Stelvio I was looking at in my first post above is in fact the bike that is described by the very brave owner in this thread on WG.  Fascinating and scary reading, starring some famous GRiSO-actors like Pete and Phang, but luckily with a good ending!

I will continue looking for a more nearby Stelvio though, so I can at least check it out before buying.
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato


Posts : 1904
Join date : 2013-05-28
Age : 51

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:38 am

Guzzi Cat wrote:
Steak wrote:
1L and 2L?  What's that all about?  I'm not aware of that designation.

You should be good to go with any NTX model.

1L (single lambda sensor in exhaust system) found on older model with small fuel tank, I think

2L (twin lambda sensors) for better fuelling in newer models with large fuel tank,

Bioman, I think the Stelvio is a great companion for the GRiSO, The Stelvio for bad winter weather and long journeys and the GRiSO for nice sunny dry days,

Im not sure about the difference in the California clutch, a lot of the Stelvio clutches give a little groan when first moving off from cold but not a problem.

I'd just make sure the proper oil was used and that it definitely is rollerised, all the better if it has a service history. It is a big top heavy tall bike when at a stop so you need to eat your porridge if you are moving it loaded around aparking lot Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up

THANKS!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
bioman
Tiradritto
Tiradritto


Posts : 348
Join date : 2014-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:54 pm

So today I tested a nice rollerised orange 2012 Stelvio with 30,000 km that is for sale from a local MG enthousiast a few towns down the road.  

First impressions: totally different from my GRiSO.  I liked the engine: of course an 8V, so quite a bit stronger than my 4V.  I also liked sitting up straight.  The screen did a very good job blocking the wind.  And the gearshifting is buttery smooth.  Suspension is more relaxed than the GRiSO.
I didn't like the fact that the bike seems a bit top heavy.  The GRiSO is so well planted and stable so I had to get used to this high "topple-feeling".  The Stelvio is also more sensitive to these big logging trucks that drive around in my area.  The GRiSO cannot care less about these trucks ("Bring'em on!!").  Throttle is very sensitive so driving at low speeds is a bit jerky.  Perhaps a Beetle map can fix that issue?
My main issue however is the heat that radiates from the left cylinder to my (left) knee. Is that normal? How can people ride across the world with a slowly roasting knee?  

Other than that, very nice motorbike. Price is very reasonable so I am tempted...
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato


Posts : 1904
Join date : 2013-05-28
Age : 51

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:39 pm

Don't worry about the "top heaviness" of the Stelvio, it disappears at any speed over parking lot waddling. You'll find that where you wrestle the GRiSO through turns, the Stelvio just falls into them, surprising for sure. Apples and oranges, but I prefer to wrestle the GRiSO.

The Stelvio is broad and tall like a barn, and the windshield is ample, so truckwash has a lot to blow against.

Low speed throttle spasms disappear with a Beetle map.

The cylinder heat is real vs the GRiSO, but it's due to the bodywork on the Stelvio, it traps much of that heat in the knee pockets. Whereas the GRiSO is just freeballing out there.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
bioman
Tiradritto
Tiradritto


Posts : 348
Join date : 2014-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Thanks a lot, Steak, for the info.  


Steak wrote:
Low speed throttle spasms disappear with a Beetle map.

That's what I hoped for.  Perhaps it also gets rid of the popping at decelerating.


Steak wrote:
The cylinder heat is real vs the GRiSO, but it's due to the bodywork on the Stelvio, it traps much of that heat in the knee pockets.  Whereas the GRiSO is just freeballing out there.

Mmm... So that is something I would have to get used to.  On an other site I saw a post of a Stelvio owner who attached the cylinder shields of the Norge, with some improvised brackets.  If I buy the Stelvio I may try to copy that solution.
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
Grignapoco
Grignapoco


Posts : 178
Join date : 2014-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:34 pm

bioman wrote:
So today I tested a nice rollerised orange 2012 Stelvio with 30,000 km that is for sale from a local MG enthousiast a few towns down the road.  

First impressions: totally different from my GRiSO.  I liked the engine: of course an 8V, so quite a bit stronger than my 4V.  I also liked sitting up straight.  The screen did a very good job blocking the wind.  And the gearshifting is buttery smooth.  Suspension is more relaxed than the GRiSO.
I didn't like the fact that the bike seems a bit top heavy.  The GRiSO is so well planted and stable so I had to get used to this high "topple-feeling".  The Stelvio is also more sensitive to these big logging trucks that drive around in my area.  The GRiSO cannot care less about these trucks ("Bring'em on!!").  Throttle is very sensitive so driving at low speeds is a bit jerky.  Perhaps a Beetle map can fix that issue?
My main issue however is the heat that radiates from the left cylinder to my (left) knee. Is that normal? How can people ride across the world with a slowly roasting knee?  

Other than that, very nice motorbike. Price is very reasonable so I am tempted...

I would echo all the points that Steak has pointed out except for the fact that I have never had an issue with the heat from the left cylinder (I must have a knee like an anvil) Very Happy When the big goose is moving the weight is no problem and suspension handles corners brilliantly!

Havent noticed the bike to be jerky but I still plan to get a Beetle map as I love it in the GRiSO, I need to sort my screen buffeting problem first.
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato


Posts : 1904
Join date : 2013-05-28
Age : 51

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:05 pm

bioman wrote:
Thanks a lot, Steak, for the info.  


Steak wrote:
Low speed throttle spasms disappear with a Beetle map.

That's what I hoped for.  Perhaps it also gets rid of the popping at decelerating.


Steak wrote:
The cylinder heat is real vs the GRiSO, but it's due to the bodywork on the Stelvio, it traps much of that heat in the knee pockets.  Whereas the GRiSO is just freeballing out there.

Mmm... So that is something I would have to get used to.  On an other site I saw a post of a Stelvio owner who attached the cylinder shields of the Norge, with some improvised brackets.  If I buy the Stelvio I may try to copy that solution.

Yeah, Dick Guthrie here in Seattle did that (Norge guards), I don't like the way it looks, but he likes it. Honestly, I don't even notice it on my Stelvio (the heat.) I might notice it a little when idling in traffic, but then I just spread my knee out if it is uncomfortable.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
bioman
Tiradritto
Tiradritto


Posts : 348
Join date : 2014-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:36 pm

And then there were 2...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CPB
Grignapoco
Grignapoco


Posts : 144
Join date : 2014-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:49 am

Nice! Congrats. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO


Posts : 1015
Join date : 2014-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:00 pm

Oh man, the orange one! The more better good looking one... Very Happy
Congrats.
Back to top Go down
bioman
Tiradritto
Tiradritto


Posts : 348
Join date : 2014-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks for the congrats!!  This bike is quite something.  The torque and power is incredible!  (mind you, I have never ridden a GRiSO 1200)

Now ... why is there no [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] !!!  Surprised Sad
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato


Posts : 1904
Join date : 2013-05-28
Age : 51

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:40 pm

Because it doesn't deserve one...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO


Posts : 1015
Join date : 2014-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:21 pm

And because the Stelvio isn't a Hooligan bike! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
bioman
Tiradritto
Tiradritto


Posts : 348
Join date : 2014-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:35 pm

Steak wrote:
Because it doesn't deserve one...

Grisonut wrote:
And because the Stelvio isn't a Hooligan bike! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil


All good and very valid points.  I don't think I would still be riding my GRiSO if it wasn't for all the invaluable advise from fellow Ghetto members!!!  cheers

Remains the sad fact that for any Stelvio-matters I now have to rely on questionable sites like WG and !!gasp!! GT.   Then there are the generic & mostly useless ones like ADV-rider.  

I guess that is one of the flaws of the Stelvio: unlike the passion that is evoked by the Mighty GRiSO, the Stelvio is more of a reliable friend to bring you (in Guzzi style!) from A to a very far B.


Last edited by bioman on Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO


Posts : 1015
Join date : 2014-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm 5.7", so these bikes are too tall for me...unless they're super light like a 250 dirt bike which isn't the case.
Still if I was in that style bike, I'd go for it over a boring GS or more expensive Multistrada etc... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato


Posts : 1904
Join date : 2013-05-28
Age : 51

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:49 pm

bioman wrote:
Remains the sad fact that for any Stelvio-matters I now have to rely on questionable sites like WG and !!gasp!! GT.   Then there are the generic & mostly useless ones like ADV-rider.  

I guess that is one of the flaws of the Stelvio: unlike the passion that is evoked by the Mighty GRiSO, the Stelvio is more of a reliable friend to bring you (in Guzzi style!) from A to a very far B.

Actually, there is about all the Stelvio advice you'll ever need from the Moto Guzzi brain trust over at ADV Rider. Over 1000 pages worth...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And I think Doug from Salem, MA (Witch City/WCB/etc.) maintains some sort of Stelvio owners Faceplant™ page. I'm not on NSAbook, so I can't give you a link.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Stelvio (I need one)   Today at 11:51 am

Back to top Go down
 
Stelvio (I need one)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: