12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

At the DMV

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fredfrenzy
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: At the DMV   Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:14 pm

So I finally went to register my 1974 Benelli 650S restore.   I bought it at a garage sale for $100 - been sitting in the back of grandpa's garage since 1976 after he crashed. It's long out of the california DMV records, so just I got a bill of sale....my local DMV here is pretty good....file a lost title claim, they inspect the bike and away you go.    

So things go as planned at the DMV, stand inline (despite appointment), show my paperwork to the screener, he says you got to be inspected, go out the inspection lane.   The millennial DMV inspector comes out eventually , kinda wanders aimless around the bike and I have to tell him to look on the headstock for the serial number.  The I told him to look at the front of the engine to get the engine serail number - my Moto Morini didn't have one, so the CHP had to inspect and give me a little metal tag to rivet on to the engine.  Rolling Eyes  

In any case he looks, writes something down.  I go back in the building to get the paperwork processed.  Get a ticket and wait inline.  I finally get to the window, I get more paperwork to fill out: "Statement of Fact" et al.    She's typing things into the computer - stops - gets a funky look and says I can't enter this engine number  Turns out the guy had filled this in:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Instead of putting in the number, he put in the stamped "Benelli" right beside it.  She went back to talk to him - he said he couldn't read it (upside down), and wasn't going to change it.  Anyway, he was just leaving work.   She talks to her boss, came back and suddenly she can't do it and needs to send me off to the CHP for a "VIN" insepction.

Argggggg Your government dollars at work.   I wanna ride legally....

Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:57 pm

That is beautiful.

Back to top Go down
fredfrenzy
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:28 pm

Diablo Loco wrote:
That is beautiful.

A GRiSO of it's day

The engine has got to be the best big-bore twin we have ever experienced. It’s that simple.”
— Popular Cycling, January 1972

“This is the road burner Italian-style: neutral, well-damped, geared high, stiff on the butt, sharp to the ear, fleet and masculine.”
— Cycle World, November 1972

“Without a doubt the Benelli 650 is the best handling machine in its class. A rider new to the Tornado soon settles down to precise tracking and great straight line stability.”
— Motorcycle World, March 1973

“Few bikes we’ve ever ridden are as much fun as Benelli’s 650. It somehow doesn’t matter that it isn’t as fast as some of the oriental multis. And it doesn’t matter that it doesn’t handle as well as a Norton. It’s just plain fun. You get on the bike and ride. And when you get back, you smile a lot.”
— Supercycle, May 1973
Back to top Go down
ronbo10
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:13 pm

Man, they don't make it easy, do they?

Gotta say, gorgeous bike-  barely recall them from the '70's. Those are some pretty low set handlebars for that day, it seems to me. I had forgotten that the Tornado of the 2000's had been named based on its historic predecessor. Pretty bikes, both.

Back to top Go down
fredfrenzy
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:23 pm

ronbo10 wrote:
Man, they don't make it easy, do they?

Gotta say, gorgeous bike-  barely recall them from the '70's. Those are some pretty low set handlebars for that day, it seems to me. I had forgotten that the Tornado of the 2000's had been named based on its historic predecessor. Pretty bikes, both.  

Never seen the new Tornado in the flesh. This is in "S2" trim which is a little sportier than the standard S - last attempt to make it sexy before rolling out the multicylinders:

Back to top Go down
bioman
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Wow, you certainly did an amazing job bringing it back to showroom condition.

I see that you had to add some (rather very large) indicator lights - that the showroom model didn't seem to have.
Back to top Go down
fredfrenzy
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:55 pm

bioman wrote:
Wow, you certainly did an amazing job bringing it back to showroom condition.  

I see that you had to add some (rather very large) indicator lights - that the showroom model didn't seem to have.

They never showed the turnsignals in the day...they were all ugly Smile   These are the correct turn signals, but I put then on short stalks.

It started out like this with a frozen engine:

Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:04 pm

What a beauty, very nice work indeed cheers
Back to top Go down
fredfrenzy
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:22 pm

waterbottle wrote:
What a beauty, very nice work indeed cheers

It's got a really torquey powerband and does handle quite well. It's been basically done for a year or so, but had a nagging problem with the plug on once side loading up. I checked compression and it was low one side - I'd done a full top end rebuild so I was worried I screwed something up. Id spent so much time on it and was ready to be done with it. -So I took a break from it...and bunch of life stuff happened. I finally got back to it and with a fresh look found that the sparkplug threads were so loose, I was getting blow-by out the threads. I dropped in a Helicoil solid insert and my problem went away....90psi to 120psi.

Back to top Go down
Street
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Ghetto cred for you, Fred! Beautiful bike, beautiful restoration, and kudos for having the patience to endure the boneheads at the DMV.

Pete
Back to top Go down
ronbo10
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:57 pm

Fred, I like your stable by the way. Just have a question though. Is the crank on your 650 a 360 degree, or a 180 degree? I believe the Laverda 750 twins were 180, so if I were to guess...

Glad to see you're gonna ride it and not just park it to look at!
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:36 am

I want one.
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:15 am

Beautiful bike and NICE work on your restoration!
Back to top Go down
fredfrenzy
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:39 am

ronbo10 wrote:
Fred, I like your stable by the way. Just have a question though. Is the crank on your 650 a 360 degree, or a 180 degree? I believe the Laverda 750 twins were 180, so if I were to guess...

Glad to see you're gonna ride it and not just park it to look at!

I don't build Garage Queens - why spend all that time/money if you can't ride it??

The engine has a 360 crank firing (like the Brits) with the pistons moving up/down together.  It's over square with a 84x58m bore and stroke.

Back to top Go down
ronbo10
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:09 am

Wow. that's seriously over square, and push rods to boot. To compare, the Bonneville 650 from the same era has a bore and stroke of 71 mm x 82 mm. Reading up a bit, it would seem that this engine has other design features that has it nevertheless  putting out a fair bit of torque, even at low rpm (say, 2500 rpm and up).

Looks like a fun bike to ride!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: At the DMV   Today at 3:42 am

Back to top Go down

At the DMV
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: