12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Am I allowed to ask this , Import 2010 Calif 1100 from UK

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Barney21
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Am I allowed to ask this , Import 2010 Calif 1100 from UK   Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:14 am

I am trying to research the possibility of importing a 2010 Cali 1100 from UK. I understand ?? that the Very late model Cali 1100 was not imported to Auz??
I have looked at the Govt web site and am non the wiser so I thought someone here may know.
The Bike I am looking at is in the UK. it was first registered and built in 2010. The Govt web site tells me that someone? has had a import licence to import a bike with the 4th digit in the vin #is "K" ,thats helpfull" Not"!
Here is my theory because the importer never imported that model into the country ( As far as I can ascertain)I could apply to import it in a limited # as a "special interest, exclusive ,of interest" MC. If that wont work does anyone have a RAWs certificate for this bike? Do you know?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Am I allowed to ask this , Import 2010 Calif 1100 from UK   Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:03 pm

Rules on personal imports changed recently so I'm no wiser than you.

Pete
Back to top Go down
GUZ21
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Am I allowed to ask this , Import 2010 Calif 1100 from UK   Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:24 pm

As Pete says, the rules are going to change, but don't know if they have yet. As it stands you must have owned the bike for 12 months, AND lived in the UK a couple of months when you owned it. You will pay 5% duty + 10%GST.

You can import a motorcycle built before 1989. The taxes payable to customs are 0% Duty + 10% GST
The GST is charged on the figure you paid for the bike plus all shipping charges, which are probably about $2500+ with agents fees.

Whether the rule changes, if and when they happen, allow you to bring any bike in, I don't know, but its bound to be an expensive exercise that is prohibitive. AFAIK the rule change is only to update the 1989 date to 25yo machines, no date.

There must be different rules with grey imports from Japan, but I've never heard of anyone importing a modern bike privately. There are likely to be ADR compliance reasons, too, especially if the model wasn't imported here.

You could contact Get Routed, who ship container loads of bikes for customers, and may have experience of this problem.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Am I allowed to ask this , Import 2010 Calif 1100 from UK   Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:55 pm

I imported my US Sport 1200 a few years ago... above is correct... you must own it for 12 months -and 'live' there... as for ADRs, all bikes after 2006 are globally homogenous and therefore require no modification -this from the peeps in Canberra. I was told this repeatedly, as I kept asking about the speedo being in mph... even Mr plod didn't care "if you can't tell how fast you're going.... we soon will".
There is a fair bit of paperwork involved, you'll need to jump through some hoops, and get a compliance plate (sticker) made up by the one place in the country (in Vic). At the roadworthy before registration, I cranked the headlight all the way to the left just to be sure, but no one seem to be worried about that, or anything really, just sign this and give us some $$... maybe due to the cp sticker???
I did it all myself.... some of the 'import agencies' require you to change tyres, fluids, and hand over lots of $$$. I didn't do any of that.... just washed it very well at the other end, quarantine here can be finicky I believe but my guy just checked the numbers matched and had a quick look at the shiny redness...
Maybe I was lucky....
Cost me $3500 to get it from riding in Florida to riding in Queensland....... initial cost $9500 in the states, same time was $22000 here (back when the dollars were 1:1) affraid
New rules are coming in, but I believe they will make it easier to bring homologated vehicles in....
google is your friend.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I allowed to ask this , Import 2010 Calif 1100 from UK   Today at 11:16 am

Back to top Go down

Am I allowed to ask this , Import 2010 Calif 1100 from UK
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: