GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

SE tire pressure

Go down 
+11
kiwi dave
Brent S
cognosticator
Dave R
bahamazoo
Grisonut
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
Papa Lazarou
Bill Hagan
Dilliw
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:42 am

I've been running 33psi front and 36psi rear on my SE and have had no complaints. However, the manual says for the SE you should run higher pressures at 36psi front and 42psi rear.

I assume there's a reason to run them this high. Is it the spoked wheel or is it the Scorpions that came on it? Should I consider higher pressures given the SE wheel?

Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:10 pm

Dilliw wrote:
I've been running 33psi front and 36psi rear on my SE and have had no complaints.  However, the manual says for the SE you should run higher pressures at 36psi front and 42psi rear.  

I assume there's a reason to run them this high.  Is it the spoked wheel or is it the Scorpions that came on it? Should I consider higher pressures given the SE wheel?

Thanks.

Maybe they know your "fighting weight?"  jocolor

I cannot imagine any variations between any GRiSO models that would warrant that sort of difference.  

I use the under-the-saddle numbers, i.e., 2.3 & 2.6 BAR (splitting the solo v. with pillion pressures).  Sure seems fine to me with the MPR4's I use, and also for previous tires.

See you at Pipestem?

Bill
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Most big bikes run 36 front and 34 rear.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:49 pm

2.3 and 2.5 in the hills. 2.5 and 2.8 for the long haul.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:24 pm

36 psi front, 39 psi rear
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:26 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
36 psi front, 39 psi rear

This is my set up as well^^^^^^
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:38 am

and there I was reaching for the calculator..... curse this metricity!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:59 am

Don't know if this topic is still open, but I'm looking for opinions / advice on this.  As the O/P says, there's conflicting pressure recommendations (I expect it from different sources - but two different pressures from the manufacturer ??)

I'm fitted with Metz Roadtec Z8 Interact & found (after playing around) that  36 / 39 "feels" right to me - handles better, more stable.  But I've just checked the Metz "Motorcycle Fitment" chart (extremely comprehensive) & that says 2.5 bar (36 psi) front & rear !!

So what do you do ?  Stick with one of Guzzis recommendations , plump for the slightly bizarre Metzeler pressures, or go for one that seems to feel better, but is not quoted ?  Is it really that critical if you're not riding to extremes, or where the weather is not "average" (ie always very cold or very hot)
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:50 pm

I run 36 psi F and 38psi rear on every tire and every bike I have owne and that has been quite a few.  That works for me YMMV

Last edited by cognosticator on Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:46 pm

35psi front and 38 rear for me. Tried dropping the front to the low 30s but found it gave a “squishy” feeling that was slightly unnerving in the corners, hence 35 feels about right for me.
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:57 pm

So I'm in the right ball park with 36 / 39.  If that's the case, are manufacturers recommendations so critical or is it OK to rely on instinct / playing around (within parameters) ?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:03 pm

If you are going on a trip with a big load, maybe up it by 1 or 2 lbs - otherwise leave it there. Depending on the tyre, and the associated sidewall thickness, you will notice some degradation when you go a tad below your numbers.

Currently I have PR5 Michelin, and front down to 30 and rear down to 35 is as far as I want to go. The PR4s were woeful even at these numbers, and the PR4 GTs were excellent even lower.

However, if your pressures are varying by more than 2 lbs, you are not checking them often enough - remember these are the devices that allow you to ride like the wind with only a little sticky pad between you and the road. Pressures matter.
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:28 pm

I noticed over winter the back lost a couple of psi whereas the front was down by 15 - 17 pounds. Need to keep an eye on that
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:32 pm

I'm running Michelin PR4GTs and prefer pressures higher than those mentioned here so far. 36F & 42R.

Bike is easier to get around corners. Previously with the lower pressures and Metzeler Sportec M3 originals, I had to fight it to lie into the corners. All good now.
Back to top Go down
zebraranger
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
zebraranger

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:17 pm

I usually run about 1.5 to 2 lbs higher. Just about all my bikes handled better with a little more pressure, especially my heavier touring bikes.
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:39 pm

After finding no less than three different tyre pressure recommendations (owners manual - 33/36, owners manual for SE - 36/42, sticker under saddle - 33/38), I checked out what Metzeler had to say - on their website found a downloadable chart listing just about every bike / tyre combination.  Checking mine (Roadtech Z8 Interact), it says 2.5 bar (36 psi) for both front & rear !!!  I have never had a bike where the front & rears are set at the same pressure.  So that made it four different sets of pressures.

So I phoned Metzeler (well actually Pirelli, in Burton On Trent, about 20 miles down the road from me.  Never realised that Pirelli own Metz).  Had a chat with a nice bloke, who initially couldn't find the chart I'd found.  He then told me he was going to have a chat with his technical manager.  After being on hold for a few minutes he came back on & told me he was going to have to speak to their legal department in Germany & he'd call me back the next day - what !!!

He did phone me back the next day & after a long chat told me that pressure recommendations are only that - a recommendation.  There are no hard & fast rules, they're merely guidelines & to "try & see what works best for you, within reason".  

What did make me laugh was that he said that what they do is read through forums & see what owners say they set their tyres at.  He then went on to quote (almost word for word) this post !!

So we have an influence on Metzeler !!!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:20 pm

Dave R wrote:

What did make me laugh was that he said that what they do is read through forums & see what owners say they set their tyres at.  He then went on to quote (almost word for word) this post !!

So we have an influence on Metzeler !!!

That’s Funny Laughing
What I’ve found is that tyres can develop a weird wear pattern if under inflated. Too much or too little Compression and Rebound setting also influences this wear pattern. Unless your riding stupidly fast all the time the higher pressures mentioned above will give you a longer tyre life .... me thinks
On a trip, loaded up I run 36F 42R
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Yeah, I'd never go under inflated. It certainly seems happier with the higher pressures. So for the time being I'm going with 36 / 39, maybe try it a pound either side, but I'm happy that I'm doing nothing wrong
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:49 am

36/39 psi on mine.
I don’t get back home as often as would like at at the moment work commitments and other responsibilities frequently get in the way of bike time. This weekend it looked like everything was going to plan, back home Thursday evening, wife had made plans Friday morning so took the opportunity to get the bike out. It felt very difficult to push so knew something was wrong. 0 psi in the rear thanks to a nail.
Up early this morning, got the puncture fixed and wheel back on by 9:30. Then bike put away and tied up with family duties.
Maybe tomorrow..........
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:33 pm

another set of numbers for tyre research.....

36F 38R for normal road activities
38F 40R when fully loaded and long 'high speed' runs

I've run 34/36, but feel 36/38 is better.
Rossi runs his in the the mid 20's, but I'm not that brave Razz
Back to top Go down
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:16 pm

Dave Moss recommends 34-36psi on the front and 37-39 on the rear for the Metzler Roadtec Z8. One of the videos on his website lists pressures for a range of tires commonly used. I might have the number wrong but the right cold pressure is having a 4-5 psi increase after a long ride. He also has a GRiSO suspension setup video in his premium section
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:34 am

I'm off for a run round Melton & Rutland today. Running at 36 / 39, so this will be the first longish run for me try. Next time I'll drop to 35 / 38
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:57 am

Some nice roads in that area. The Harley dealer at Oakham usually has a cafe open at weekends - Great bacon sandwich.
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:00 am

Thanks for that - we were trying to think of somewhere to aim for
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SE tire pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: SE tire pressure   SE tire pressure Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

SE tire pressure
Page 1 of 1