GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish

Go down 
+4
waterbottle
beetle
Street
Bill Hagan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish Empty
PostSubject: Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish   Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:59 pm

So, you may recall my lengthy post  Sleep and resulting thread about my “challenges” in getting some (worthless) conspicuity lights mounted on my Norge.

No? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Anyway, part of the difficulty then was that I had somehow along the way mucked up the POS plastic shell/bucket that houses the headlight and innards.

Well, I finally got around to R&R’ing the new ($116 delivered!  affraid ) replacement.

Oh oh.  

I then saw what likely caused that “mucking up” to begin with, i.e., installing the OEM wind screen.

The bracket is “not quite right.”  I did not notice that when I happily and too eagerly installed that #$%^&.   Sad

The result is that the fasteners that run thru the w/s and headlight mounting brackets do not line up. That is what caused my original damaging of the bucket and I don’t wish to repeat that.

See pix.

So, all of those words to ask if you folks think that I might be able to widen those lower holes on the w/s brackets such as to permit the bolts to go through it, the headlight frame bracket, and into the shell?

I don’t know what material the w/s bracket is, but presume I can fix it into a vise and widen the existing hole?

Thoughts on that?  Other ideas?

Grazie.

Bill

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish   Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:07 pm

Bill,

Looks like stainless steel to me. If so, there's no reason you can't "wow" those holes out a bit except that obviously, if you remove too much material you'll be into the slotted portion above. Perhaps you can split the difference and elongate both the lower and upper holes enough to get you where you need to go.

Pete

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM

PostSubject: Re: Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish   Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:08 pm

A file is your friend.
Unless you're from NZ, then you have a "frund un the frudge".

Actually Bill just thinking, the headlight mounting bars are connected to top and bottom triple clamps.
The bottom holes (to lower triple) are usually slotted, to allow for steering head bearing adjustment and top triple clamps final resting position.
Check it out.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish   Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:29 pm

I feel your pain, Bill. I generated numerous expletives when I installed my OEM screen. I found I had to loosen almost every screw and bolt in the vicinity of the headlight bracket, including the instruments. I left them all loose while I fitted the brackets loosely until every screw thread had found purchase, then carefully nipped them up, starting with the ones onto the bucket.

You shouldn't have to modify the brackets.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish   Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Yes, just slot top and bottom, use a penny washer or body washer to cover slotted hole, it will still look good. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish   Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:13 am

I give up.  

Have tried all of the above suggestions -- many thanks -- and some of my own.  Looked up some foreign curse words, and even the Aussie ones didn't help.  Wink

What a $300 POS.  Sad  Mad

I remain so annoyed with the fitting of this OEM screen that I am going to “retire” it and get — I think, thus this continuation of my thread of frustration — one of the Dart versions.

Looking at these:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Understand that the classic provides little rider assistance, but I want something for the pod and am less interested in keeping the breeze and more off of me, so I am leaning toward that version.

The mounting system appears to be the same, and I post this to ask if those who have tried it have encountered any sort of the cursing and forced attachment issues that the OEM has given me (& beetle, at least).

Grazie mille.

Bill
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish   Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:02 am

Hello Bill
The PO of my 1100 gave me one of these with the bike when I bought it .....
I experienced no real issues fitting it up, this one looks the same, not sure what is happening with yours
Sorry I cannot add any more than this
Hope it eventually turns out ok for you
Cheers from Tasmania
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

PostSubject: Re: Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish   Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:24 am

Bill...I have used both on my 2015 GRiSO without any mounting issues. I am currently running the Marlin and like it. In my estimation, the Classic is a bit too small for the GRiSO at least from an esthetics viewpoint and for what little protection it provides (I know your interest is only for the instrument pod, but the Classic still didn't do the job from my perspective here in bug-heavy Tennessee... Very Happy ). Though it works well on my wife's V7 Special...but, to each his own. Let us know what you decide.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish   Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:46 am

Bill, I'd love a spare. I'll buy it off you if you don't want it.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish   Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:32 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Bill, I'd love a spare. I'll buy it off you if you don't want it.

Pete

Done.

Check PM's.

Bill

NorthernProducer wrote:
Bill...I have used both on my 2015 GRiSO without any mounting issues.  I am currently running the Marlin and like it.  In my estimation, the Classic is a bit too small for the GRiSO at least from an esthetics viewpoint and for what little protection it provides (I know your interest is only for the instrument pod, but the Classic still didn't do the job from my perspective here in bug-heavy Tennessee... Very Happy ).  Though it works well on my wife's V7 Special...but, to each his own.  Let us know what you decide.

Interesting.  Appreciate that counsel.

wardentm wrote:
Hello Bill
The PO of my 1100 gave me one of these with the bike when I bought it .....
I experienced no real issues fitting it up, this one looks the same, not sure what is happening with yours
Sorry I cannot add any more than this
Hope it eventually turns out ok for you
Cheers from Tasmania

You obviously have led a sin-free life.   Wink

Mine has been an evil creature proving metal can harbor malice.   Twisted Evil

I like its looks and limited but effective functionality, but Lordy, what PITA and destroyer of headlight buckets.  Sad

Bill
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish   Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:43 am

Hi Bill installed the Marlin on my 1100 No issues at all , THe screen works well keeps the bugs , rain etc off the instruments and deflects air stream fairly well.i think it suits the GRiSO well and went with the clear version .Quality is great and it mounts up in an hour or so with a beer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish   Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Mucket Bucket: The Headlight & Windscreen Skirmish
Page 1 of 1