12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Prodigal son returns

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Prodigal son returns   Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:11 am

My older brother Steve hasn't owned a bike for 25 years.
At 62 he decided it was time to return to the fold, lots of emails, phone calls and a few late nights chatting with a rum or coffee.
Bought the riding gear - booked in for a re-fresher riding course one on one, budget set and an idea of what he wanted.
Naked bike, normal riding position of European origins.

The short list, Aprilia Shiver, Ducati Monster, Triumph Street Triple, and a V7. MV out of price range and owners I know recommended look elsewhere.
After locating a dealer with examples of each he tested the first three, before he could ride the Guzzi he was encouraged to ride a Yamaha MT09.

This was the bike that captured his heart but a little above the budget limit. Shopping around he found the Tracer variant but hard negotiations failed to net a result.
Alan (the Saint) drops in for a beer and says Guzzi are pushing deals here at the moment. New is still to expensive.
Then we find a second hand private sale only 2 suburbs from Steve's place, price is right.

So I sent him off with the explicit instruction, don't buy a Guzzi because it's cheap and I like them, if you hate it we'll keep looking till you find something cheaper and better than the MT09 Tracer.
He just rang, the V7 ii Stone fits and feels just perfect. Loves it!
He said the suspension is crap but hey, he is my brother.

MalG - Steve is looking for luggage tips, I liked the solid rack you had on yours.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biketowbrisbane.com.au
Papa Lazarou
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:14 pm

Yamahaha triples have really awful finish problems. I'd avoid a Tracer.

MV's need riding at high speed.

Monster-great bike. What size?

Street Triple-great bike and tiny.

V7-will need a suspension upgrade.

Shiver-a very sensible machine. Friendly.

Why such a different range of choices?
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:30 pm

Actually, what I should have said is this:

Your brother has a bike license but has been away for a long time. refresher is good but he has to relearn the lot, pretty much.

I'd advise buying used and my short list would be:

V7, Bonneville, Sportster 1200, Monster 800, Shiver, MT09, SV650.

And I'd incline toward the SV650. Shit suspension, though. Budget for new fork springs and a new rear shock.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:50 pm

Papa Lazarou wrote:
Yamaha triples have really awful finish problems. I'd avoid a Tracer.
Not the ones I looked at.

MV's need riding at high speed.
Not on the list

Monster-great bike. What size?

Street Triple-great bike and tiny.
Steve's a short arse, this bike is perfect.

V7-will need a suspension upgrade.
So will most other bikes.

Shiver-a very sensible machine. Friendly.
He just didn't like the feel.

Why such a different range of choices?
From his last SR500 to now, the world has changed

When you think of it in terms if weight / size / power, SR500 to V7 is very similar.
The MT09 was a little bit overwhelming power wise, yet very smooth and linear.
Ducati had a clunky noisy gearbox, salesman said they're all like that, so he walked away.
Triumph was too busy (revvy).
Shiver was jerky/abrupt on the throttle.

It is all about personal perceptions, some bikes may have needed servicing but that is the salesmans responsibility.
The V7 from seat height to power was all linear and non threatening which means his confidence is up and that equals a comfortable feeling.

Steve knows he may upgrade in a year or two, meanwhile he also knows he has contacts for suspension upgrades if he desires.

MalG, where are you?
Back to top Go down
wyno
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:15 am

Before the GRiSO, I had a Breva 750. Pete put Ikon suspension front and rear and I had Hepco and Becker pannier rack and top box rack. The Ikons transformed the bike's handling. The only problem with the top box rack was changing the tail stop light bulbs. I don't know if the V7 would be the same, but if he does get it, the Ikons are a must.
Back to top Go down
wyno
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:17 am

PS, I had to resit my license because I let it lapse in 1984, so the relearning and having to ride a low powered bike, was a good thing and a great lead in to the GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:03 pm

I'd still go with a nekkid SV650.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:04 pm

Papa Lazarou wrote:
I'd still go with a nekkid SV650.
How dare you come on here and even suggest a Harley Evil or Very Mad Razz

Papa Laz, you've missed the point entirely.
The whole exercise was based around Steve finding the bike that suits HIM best. Not you. Not me. HIM!

1. Riding position - upright
2. Seat height - he's a short arse with a dicky right knee
3. Looks - like a real motorcycle, not a transformer.
4. Euro - not Jap
5. Budget etc etc.

He searched and came up with a list, we did some research and culled a few.
I suggested a V7 purely for comparison purposes and if anything, to magnify all the pluses of the Street Triple R.

On paper there are hundreds of bikes that out shine the little Guzzi, but under his ass this is king of the crop.
I applaud him for resisting all the pressures of the salesman, who incidentally, steered him away from a V7 and lost a sale.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Can't really go wrong with the V7, even for a returning rider. It's not demanding, it's light & flickable, works well in town & on the open road. The rear rack is an OEM item - there are 2 available now, but the smaller one is rubbish, the larger very solid. For suspension, check out Gazi (they are in Brisbane) - better than the Ikons. A Racetech (straight) spring in the forks is an improvement as well. The solo cafe seat is surprisingly cheap at present $179 in AUS & around $120-130 delivered from TLM - he'd save that cost by going solo rego in Qld. The only other essential are the mufflers - Agostini, Staintune, Mistral, Arrow, perhaps even Pipemasters - but that's a serious investment. The II has the 6 speed gearbox (supposed to be delightful) with ABS & TC. The metal tank has around 450k range, which is a serious plus.
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:23 am

Well he's got the bike.
First service was done at 2,800k ............... by a Yamaha dealer.?????

I think we might do it again, properly.
Open to advice
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:38 am

Don't fill the engine oil past the 3/4 mark.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:51 am

And whatever you do don't try and *Physically* adjust anything on the throttle body!

With the six speed gearbox I strongly recommend dropping the oil by not only removing the drain plug and filter gauze but take off the filler cap, (There is no level plug.) and drain it fully and then rock the bike from side to side and see if you can squeeze any more out!

Both Michael and I have had an issue with draining the box completely and then filling it with the prescribed 500ml only to have it blurt some out afterwards! On draining it a second time, in both cases, 650ml came out! I have no fucking idea??? Just a word of warning. If it blurts some out it will be because it's over full!

Pete
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Now, I assume we use the same 10w/70 Semi synthetic Penrite 10/Tenths as the big blocks.

If V7 only holds 1.6 litres of engine oil, should I not at least fill it to the top level?
Sump extender is a serious consideration for us.

Tappet clearances?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:21 pm

ghezzi wrote:
Now, I assume we use the same 10w/70 Semi synthetic Penrite 10/Tenths as the big blocks.

If V7 only holds 1.6 litres of engine oil, should I not at least fill it to the top level?

No. Unless you want the TB to take a big drink of oil. Do NOT fill it to the top.

Quote :

Sump extender is a serious consideration for us.

Tappet clearances?

0.15 & 0.2 IIRC.

cheers
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:25 am

On the 1TB Special I'm putting in 1.9L of oil (10 Tenths 10w60) instead of the specified 2L. So far there's been no oil in the airbox since then. The valve clearance on mine are both 10mm inlet & 15mm exhaust. The Classic didn't seem to move until after 90,000k & then not much. The Special has been more volatile.

The Yamaha dealer who did the first service may not have know about tightening the heads at that time. Pete wrote a brief but complete instruction, including the appropriate tools & posted it to Wildguzzi. I'll send you a copy. Another useful source of V7 info is the MG750 Yahoo site & its "Files" section. The manuals are there too.

The clutch adjustment is delicate & crucial. It's a pain when it won't go into gear easily, but straightforward to fix. Hopefully they solved this problem on the V7II - they did make it easier by repositioning the clutch operating arm. I'll send you Pete's instructions there too, just in case.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:41 am

I'm using 10 & 15mm for the clearances, Beetle is saying 15 & 20. Needs checking. Whoops, the V7S manual says .15 & .20mm. Go with that.

Do you thing we might be graced with a photo or 2?
Back to top Go down
ghezzi
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Steve and his 62nd birthday present to himself.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Thanks to Mal for email with head re-tension settings, I didn't know it needed doing.
So, oils & filter changed, 1.8 litres of oil added, registers half way between the marks with stick only "dipped", not screwed in.
Head tensioned and then tappets reset at .006" & .008", they were tight and quiet but now you can here a faint tickety tickety.

Next will be a rack and Beetle map.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:39 pm

Tell him to go for the OEM long rack

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A Racer rider showed me a plate addition for the rack he picked up from MCAS that I shall have to investigate. Not a big as Tony's slab carrier.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:51 pm

BTW, the OEM tankbag is also excellent. Well made, good size & shape. The waterproof plastic bag cover wont last all that long, but do as I did & have a motor trimmer make up one in vinyl with a window on top. It may seem a bit expensive - but worth it. Available from Moto Guzzi & dealers here & also from Agostini Mandello (agostinimandello.com) cheaper & faster.
Back to top Go down
techman-001
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:42 am

ghezzi wrote:
Steve and his 62nd birthday present to himself.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Thanks to Mal for email with head re-tension settings, I didn't know it needed doing.
So, oils & filter changed, 1.8 litres of oil added, registers half way between the marks with stick only "dipped", not screwed in.
Head tensioned and then tappets reset at .006" & .008", they were tight and quiet but now you can here a faint tickety tickety.

Next will be a rack and Beetle map.

A nice neat, solid, Italian V twin, and the easiest bike on the planet to service, what's not to love ?

p.s. My GRiSO ate three sv650's a few weeks ago and it was still hungry afterwards.

Cheers,
Terry
Back to top Go down
http://portertech.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=65&p=73&am
Clancy
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:49 pm

I've got the same bike.

I installed a sump extender and run the oil level at the bottom mark of the dipstick (without screwing it in).
You will always get some oil mist in the airbox.....however I recently installed an aluminium oil catch can between the oil seperator chamber (in the top frame rail) and the airbox.
This has recently proved to work well. I bought the catch can on ebay.au
See this thread for pictures.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For luggage I went with the Hepco & Becker rear rack & C-Bow side bag racks.
I like the rear rack as it has small riser on it that makes a nice 'handle' when pushing the bike backwards (it also gives my pillions a more secure feeling).

Use Guzzidiag to download a BeetleMap and enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prodigal son returns   Today at 6:16 am

Back to top Go down

Prodigal son returns
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: