12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Fucking BMW's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Fucking BMW's   Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:44 am

Not the fours or the parallel twins but the Boxers. I'm currently in Austria and the fucking things are omnipresent! Apart from being ugly as a sack full of farty arseholes I simply can't understand the attraction of things so vast!

The 'Wasserboxer' with its DOHC heads and downward exiting exhausts has to have a huge airbox in the tank space. This means the whole top of the bike in front of the rider is VAST! They look like a huge blancmange with a wheel at each end! Does anybody actually know how much one of these bits of shit weighs?

On a happier note I have to say I saw many more Guzzis in Italy on this trip than any of my previous ones. Despite my surprise at the small number of Grisos at the 'Open House' I actually saw, well? If not a huge number at least some on the roads of their own county of birth. Similarly Norges and Stelvios were around in countable numbers. Sports and Bellagios? Not so much. FI Tontis were also comparatively abundant as we're both early V7, twin TB, smallblocks in both 'Classic' and, (Shudder!) Nevada forms!

What were curiously invisible were Spineframes! I saw probably three outside of the open house weekend! Odd. It also seems that older, carbureted, bikes are now weekend bikes or collectors items. They were few and far between.

So? What does that say about Piaggio's decision to axe the CARC/1200 platform?

Answers on a postcard to Noale/Pontadera. Not that they'd listen. We aren't hip enough..........

Pete
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Fucking BMW's   Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:16 pm

I'd happily tour on an old big block, Tonti again. reliable, so long as the electricals are sorted.

Trouble is, there now seems to a be a collectors' market for them and prices are nearly up there with old Brit bikes.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Fucking BMW's   Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:33 pm

Yes, odd that you didn't happen across more V11's. Would have thought they were ideal for the long trips. Perhaps their riders weren't keen on birthday bashes or just got lost in the hills.
Back to top Go down
techman-001
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Fucking BMW's   Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:54 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Not the fours or the parallel twins but the Boxers. I'm currently in Austria and the fucking things are omnipresent! Apart from being ugly as a sack full of farty arseholes I simply can't understand the attraction of things so vast!

The 'Wasserboxer' with its DOHC heads and downward exiting exhausts has to have a huge airbox in the tank space. This means the whole top of the bike in front of the rider is VAST! They look like a huge blancmange with a wheel at each end! Does anybody actually know how much one of these bits of shit weighs?

On a happier note I have to say I saw many more Guzzis in Italy on this trip than any of my previous ones. Despite my surprise at the small number of Grisos at the 'Open House' I actually saw, well? If not a huge number at least some on the roads of their own county of birth. Similarly Norges and Stelvios were around in countable numbers. Sports and Bellagios? Not so much. FI Tontis were also comparatively abundant as we're both early V7, twin TB, smallblocks in both 'Classic' and, (Shudder!) Nevada forms!

What were curiously invisible were Spineframes! I saw probably three outside of the open house weekend! Odd. It also seems that older, carbureted, bikes are now weekend bikes or collectors items. They were few and far between.

So? What does that say about Piaggio's decision to axe the CARC/1200 platform?

Answers on a postcard to Noale/Pontadera. Not that they'd listen. We aren't hip enough..........

Pete

Hey Pete, you said that the hardest part of the LH 8V cam sprocket removal was using a scredriver to compress the internal chain tensioner, but using your video as a guide, I found it really easy ;-)

Compare that to this LH cylinder tensioner replacement job on a Boxer 'oilhead', what a friggin nightmare, and the mechanic isn't impressed.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm *so* glad I didn't buy a Beemer instead of my GRiSO, but I had help from friends who have owned Beemers, and one who is a automotive electrician, and they all threatened to never speak to me again if I was stupid enough to buy one. The automotive electrician actually approved a GRiSO when I suggested one.
Back to top Go down
http://portertech.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=65&p=73&am
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Fucking BMW's   Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:39 am

Be warned, if you bust the tensioner it's an engine out job! Ask Mark III who posts here. I fucked up on his bike. I learnt the hard way. Glad it was me not some poor sap with no idea and no help though. I don't mind being the Guinea pig as long as I learn something.

Pete
Back to top Go down
techman-001
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Fucking BMW's   Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:13 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Be warned, if you bust the tensioner it's an engine out job! Ask Mark III who posts here. I fucked up on his bike. I learnt the hard way. Glad it was me not some poor sap with no idea and no help though. I don't mind being the Guinea pig as long as I learn something.

Pete

I read your article where you busted the tensioner plastic chain slipper and was very careful, good lighting helped and I even poked a tiny electronic endoscope down into the chain tunnel but didn't get very good pics. Overall tho it was very easy to slide the screwdriver between the plastic chain slipper and the chain to lock back the tensioner.

It's also a engine out job on a Beemer oilhead if you bust the same item.

Back to top Go down
http://portertech.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=65&p=73&am
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fucking BMW's   Today at 11:17 am

Back to top Go down

Fucking BMW's
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: