GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Ripping a new spark plug hole

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Ripping a new spark plug hole Empty
PostSubject: Ripping a new spark plug hole   Ripping a new spark plug hole Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:33 pm

Well, not really. However in the past I have cross threaded the R/H inner plug on my Sport, though it is back in now but the thread is probably not pristine. I do need to do some rectification works on this, and I need to pull the head off to do it.

Question to gurus:
Is a TimeSert the best option for this and what would be the best length (unless I need to remove the head first, and measure it, timesert have a 23mm length, which I think could be right). Should I do the other side on principal?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Ripping a new spark plug hole   Ripping a new spark plug hole Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:59 pm

How many km on your bike now Tony?

Pete
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Ripping a new spark plug hole   Ripping a new spark plug hole Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:45 pm

94,000 give or take a few...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Ripping a new spark plug hole   Ripping a new spark plug hole Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:56 pm

In which case I'd say don't bother right now. If you can live with it for another 25K, (Probably won't have to change the plugs again before then anyway.) you can combine it with a complete top end freshen up. Chances are it'll be time for some K'Lines in the guides by then and possibly new valves and rings, plus a cam chain most like. Leave it and do it all at once, or do it early. Anywhichway don't pul the heads just for a timesert unless you're really afraid its going to blow out.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Ripping a new spark plug hole   Ripping a new spark plug hole Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:53 pm

Seems all good right now Pete, and I am planning ahead. Tried to remove said inner plug the other week, while I was doing throttle bodies, and she was "reluctant" to even turn a little. So, methinks, I should do something about it.

More than happy to leave it for a bit longer, but I take your advice on a complete freshen up of the top end. Time for some investments, bit by bit.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Ripping a new spark plug hole   Ripping a new spark plug hole Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:27 am

Forgive my ignorance ( all posts , not just this one ) but what is the theory behind the two plugs on these  models. Aircraft engines, ( piston ) run twin plugs per cylinder for safety, two separate ignition systems, if one side fails you can still get home type of thing ( You don't want to be stuck up there Laughing )  so is there any real advantage here ...........
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Ripping a new spark plug hole   Ripping a new spark plug hole Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:47 am

combustion chamber is not optimum so twin plugs for better ignition of the fuel/air mix to ensure complete combustion (and more bang for your buck). Couldn't fit them into the 8V engines (or the heads anyway).

If I have this wrong, Pete will name and shame me forthcomingly...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ripping a new spark plug hole   Ripping a new spark plug hole Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:07 am

There was a theory bandied about a few years ago that with bores near 100mm, the flame spread from a single central spark plug was too slow for complete burning of the air/fuel mixture. Could be smoke and mirrors from the marketing dept.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ripping a new spark plug hole   Ripping a new spark plug hole Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Ripping a new spark plug hole
Page 1 of 1