12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Improving exhaust note by opening up air box?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Improving exhaust note by opening up air box?   Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:48 am

Hey all,

As I will be using the oem exhaust on the GRiSO for some time to come now that I have updated the map with one of Beetle's designed for that pipe, I am wondering if opening the airbox may add a slighhtly meatier grunt to it's note as shown in this video. If so, are there any drawbacks for the engine in doing this or should it be safe?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks,

Beetle, if you read this, I will post again soon with my thoughts on the map you created and sent to me last year for the oem can / rollerized GRiSO.

For now let's just put it this way - cheers
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Improving exhaust note by opening up air box?   Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:22 am

You won't change the exhaust note. What you will do is increase the intake roar. Thing is that buggering about with the intake is, basically, counter productive performance wise. Yes, if you are only interested in peak HP and couldn't give a shit about fuel economy or a decent torque curve you can open everything up to the max and turn it into an incredibly wasteful and inefficient pump rather than just a moderately wasteful and inefficient one. It will be loud as a very loud thing and have an awesome top speed but it will also be a complete pig to ride!

Mark's maps are all built for the stock airbox and filter and in the case of the GRiSO the snorkel on the airbox is removed. If you change things from those specs efficiency and performance will be sub-optimal.

From a personal point of view I find the intake *Honk*, (I can't hear my exhaust with ear plugs in.) quite satisfying and wouldn't want anything louder. Do bear in mind though that my dislike of almost anything noisy is well known and I have been labeled a 'Grumpy Old Man' by at least one panel of internationally renowned experts!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Improving exhaust note by opening up air box?   Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks Pete, I appreciate your feedback. I didn't know the snorkel should not be in when using Mark's map. I'll pull it prior to my ride today or tomorrow.

At least you are not considered a Grumpy Old Sheila  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio

PostSubject: Re: Improving exhaust note by opening up air box?   Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:15 pm

Tee, Hee. From memory, mine could be considered "too" loud, so I try and run at the back of the line of bikes - unless there is an awesome chance of overtaking someone and scaring the bejesus out of them. I can't catch Pete anyway because his bike has far more mid range than mine as well as double the valves.

Incidentally, removing the snorkel allows a slightly better midrange, with associated induction roar, and this applies to all the later 1100s, 1200s (2V) and the 1200s (8V) - probably there for EURO something initially...
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Improving exhaust note by opening up air box?   Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:31 pm

Just got back in from an afternoon run. I removed the snorkel and immediately noticed the increase in the exhaust roar right off the bat in the midrange as mentioned thru the gears. Not quite a Termi or Zard etc. but it is louder than before and I think pretty well perfect at this point.

I also felt that the bike wanted to accelerate a little easier and or quicker? Not 100% sure on that but that was my initial impression as I set off and hit the hwy..

Damn happy with the way the bike is running and sounding now! Thank you both for the feedback and tips!
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Improving exhaust note by opening up air box?   Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:58 pm

I like my snorkel...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Improving exhaust note by opening up air box?   Today at 5:28 am

Back to top Go down

Improving exhaust note by opening up air box?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Inspiration-
Jump to: