GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100

Go down 
+2
GNORTS
tjo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tjo
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tjo

Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100  Empty
PostSubject: Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100    Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100  Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Hello fellow GRiSO riders

well, I was watching the GRiSO ever since its appearance in 2005 but never really thought I would own one myself one day.
But now there was a way too good oportunity and wow, I am already a fan.

Only issue is really the absurde thing that the dash reads 0.5 to 0.8V less than there is in reality on the battery and that the ECU does not activate the starter if the dash shows less than 12.1V.

I searched and studied for days on the issue and I came to the conclusion that I install the kit developed by some Italian fellows in the AnimaGuzzista.com forum. It's basically the same as the simple relais-bypass method but with a suplementary, so called maintenance starter-relay added. (See image below my post). Apparently anyone who installed this kit had the problem resolved and the starter engages even at as low as 11.7V (on the battery).

The kit is already on its way from Italy but the installation instructions are for the Breva so I had a look under the seat of my GRiSO to try to locate the starter relay. Couldn't really see it. Did a google search as well but results are all for the Breva (Norge, 1200 Sport) series.

Can anyone please tell me where I shall look for the starter relay on a GRiSO 1100?

Many thanks in advance.

Tom

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
GNORTS
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
GNORTS

PostSubject: Re: Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100    Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100  Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:42 pm

There's a row of relays under the forward end of the right side of the seat cowl - approximately opposite the lock for the seat latch.  Not sure which of them is the starter relay.
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100    Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100  Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:14 pm

G'day Tom
Whatchya pay for this kit ? And where from
Only problem I've had with my 1100 is 'startus interiptus'
Have a great day
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100    Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100  Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:20 pm

GNORTS wrote:
There's a row of relays under the forward end of the right side of the seat cowl - approximately opposite the lock for the seat latch.  Not sure which of them is the starter relay.

It's usually the one closest to the front of the bike.

alien

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
tjo
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tjo

PostSubject: Re: Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100    Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100  Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi wardentm

the kit costs on ebay.it EUR 35.00 delivery included within Italy.
Paid an extra EUR 10.00 for delivery to the UK.

The seller did not relist the kit since I bought it but I am sure you can contact him via email: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The topic's link is here, but it's all in Italian (I do speak Italian so I read through all the posts on all the 22 pages):
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Basically it seams that this is the solution the engineers at Moto Guzzi (or Aprilia/Piaggio) came up with when they won a tender with the German Police of Berlin that bought 35 pieces of Norge 850 bikes and obviously they had to come up with a 100% reliable solution in that situation (why not doing a proper job right from the beginning, Luigi!?)

The other main reason I went for this kit is that it's Plug & Play, no need to cut any wires in the original loom.

But as far as I have understood the situation it is also fine if you just wire the '87' position of the starter relay (I think yellow on most CARC bikes but green-red on the GRiSO 1100 ! but please check yourself) directly to the + of the battery (with an in-line fuse of course) and replace the wire that goes from the '30' position of the starter relay (orange-yellow) towards the Solenoid of the Starter motor with a thicker (12 gauge) wire. These two modest interventions shall resolve the problem both at cold and warm engine conditions. The Italian kit I bought does all this (hence the 12 gauge wire to solenoid is also included as you can see it on the photo) but for some reason it also has got a second starter relay, called 'di mantenimento'. Both solutions seem to work though.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes
Tom

wardentm wrote:
G'day Tom
Whatchya pay for this kit ? And where from
Only problem I've had with my 1100 is 'startus interiptus'
Have a great day
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100    Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100  Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:39 am

Thanks Tom, appreciated
I know I should get to it and correct, but more than likely I will get caught out again before I do
I am a clutce were wiring is concerned and because I cannot see or understand what's happening I avoid at all costs.
But, I will have to have to have a go ..... or, get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for me .....
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Motoguzzimackers
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Motoguzzimackers

PostSubject: Re: Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100    Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100  Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:27 am

Try Rob at Guzzi Spares Australia.  I've heard of several Breva 1100 "Startus Interruptus" problems that he has sorted out.

Back to top Go down
http://motoguzzimackers.com/
tjo
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tjo

PostSubject: Re: Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100    Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100  Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:14 am

wardentm wrote:
Thanks Tom, appreciated
I know I should get to it and correct, but more than likely I will get caught out again before I do
I am a clutce were wiring  is concerned and because I cannot see or understand what's happening I avoid at all costs.
But, I will have to have to have a go ..... or, get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for me .....
Cheers

well, in this case one more reason to take the kit from animaguzzista.com as it is 'plug and play'. They also send you a complete installation manual with diagrams and photos (for the Breva - but it's almost the same). Get this kit and give it together with the printed-out installation manual to any motorcycle mechanic and it's done in 30 minutes if he doesn't know where to look for the relay and 10 minutes if he knows.

you can also take a similar 'plug and play' kit from a US based dealer:

but I find that price exaggerated as it is really just 3 wires 2 connectors (no earth to battery; no larger wire to Solenoid; no extra relay) but according to reports it works as well.
Back to top Go down
tjo
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tjo

PostSubject: Re: Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100    Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100  Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks to everyone.
Indeed the starter relay is on the right side under the side cover a bit hidden by the frame if you look from the inside (with seat off). Easy access.
The previous (and first) owner of my GRiSO took off the original bulky air filter housing and mounted two single K&Ns. Therefore I have a lots pf room left below the seat and most things are nicely visible and accessible. (I know, I know, a proper airbox is a good thing, but the machine seems to be running alright with the K&Ns too).
Many thanks again.
Tom
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

PostSubject: Re: Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100    Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100  Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:20 pm

take a look at this : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100    Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Position of Starter Relay on GRiSO 1100
Page 1 of 1