GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fuel Octaine

Go down 
+5
waterbottle
paulbrice
Pete Roper
beetle
Converted Duc
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:35 am

Good afternoon one and all.

I have had a quick search and cannot find the answer so I thought I would just ask. What fuel do people run in their 1200s? EG:Premium 98, 95 etc!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:59 am

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:21 am

Highest you can get. No ethanol unless unavoidable.
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:55 am

Cheers boys, I have been running both 98 and 95 and have noted a couple of times when I fully open the throttle I get a little pinging. I am going to only run 98 and see if that is the cause.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:16 am

I'd be surprised if you could hear pinking/knocking above all the other noise going on and I can't tell the difference in engine performance either, but I go for super unleaded in uK from Shell or BP (98-102 RON depending on supplier in 'tests') as a way to hopefully avoid ethanol that eats the fuel tank.

Underlying all this is fact that UK & Australia tend to just look at RON for quality rather than MON or RON and AKI....in theory you need fuel with a good MON and AKI (average RON and MON) more than just good RON to avoid knocking; in practice you just need to not worry. PS In early 80s I used to take the samples from the refinery FCCU to the knock engine room for testing back in the heady days of having RON & MON Clear and RON & MON leaded......
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:35 am

Believe me, if a GRiSO pings, you hear it.

Duc, I've run 95 without issue. Also 91 when the servo lies and says 'last fuel for 90km'. Rolling Eyes
If GRiSO pings, chances are a valve and throttle body fettling is in your future....

Suspect

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:03 pm

My GRiSO's always have a good Ron , tee hee
Back to top Go down

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:16 pm

I can hear the knocking in your head from here, Ron.
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:53 pm

Hmmm, interesting. Pete rollerised the GRiSO a little while ago and set up the throttles bodies, it might be time a a look at the clearances.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:00 am

They don't tend to change much but if you want to drop back up I'll go through everything again for nix.
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:47 am

Nah Pete, If I drop in at the least I either pay or shout beer.....come to think of it might be cheaper just to pay Smile
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:08 am

98 only ever....
and only Caltex or BP, never Shell, or United or (sorry fellas) an independent.
Shell 98 runs like crap and (I think gums up the injectors), the rest have suspect supply.

but then I get 400 to the tank, so I can shop around Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:58 am

Wish we had 98 here in the US, damn it!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:49 pm

Our 98 is the same as your 94.

alien

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:14 pm

Sort of but not strictly true....our (UK and collonial antipodes :-)) bbls are not same as US barrels; our gallons not same as US gallons; our english not same as US english etc despite we seem to assume that we are 'both' on imperial units...but actually RON (and MON) is a standard ASTM test procedure with a single cylinder knock engine with std parts and std op conditions anywhere in the world. The difference is in what each country/company sets as std & premium grades at the pump (which includes additives and other tests). If the number is different then it is a either different octane measure (RON, MON, AKI...make up your own), or different market definition of the grades...

In practice and depending on available blending components, some (usually Shell, BP & XOM branded outlets where they have spent more on additives) deliver above minimum RON, MON, AKI & have better additive packages for cleanliness etc.

I hear you knocking but you can't come in....

Paul
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Not pedantic enough for you?

Australia's RON rated 98 is approximately the same rating as the US AKI rated 94. It is not exactly the same but it is close enough for the level of discussion here. The fuel is different of course, as Aussie fuel contains Unicorn piss.

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:59 am

Unicorn piss...I knew there was a translation for ethanol. lol
Back to top Go down
Hacky
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Hacky

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:54 pm

98 whenever possible if not 95. Does the outlet brand matter? I thought all fuel in NSW, if not Australia, now came out of the same one refinery.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:36 am

Even from same refineries there are segregated tanks for blending different grades into depending on customer specs (or general market specs for the lower grade fuels). So not all fuels come from the same big tank - Some 'special grades' (in UK at least) have separate tanks to supply branded grades as they have higher/different specs from the general market and need different blend recipe ie use different ratios/type of components. From that point you also get different additive packages chucked in to the tanker depending where it is going (customer spec again).

So I always use premier grade Shell or BP grades in the GRiSO and Tesco junk into the car :-).
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:31 pm

As far as I know, there are 2 in Vic, 1 in Queensland and 1 in WA.

Source: the interwebs, so could be shite.

Suspect

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:43 pm

Mark, I believe you are correct, the rest comes from some refinery in Asia - read Caltex/Woolies, and some of the lesser know outlets, whose fuel is sus on a good day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fuel Octaine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Octaine   Fuel Octaine Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fuel Octaine
Page 1 of 1