GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

You Dipstick

Go down 
+15
2highlander
Grisonut
paulbrice
sidrat
sideshowbob
beetle
Bill Hagan
odder
guzziownr
Bulldog9
Papa Lazarou
Pete Roper
Steak
nev
waterbottle
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:01 pm

Shocked  Did the full service the other night and discovered something,  After adding my normal 3 litres of chosen engine fat, I discover it's nowhere near the low mark on the stick. It appears the Rosso's dipstick is quite a bit shorter than my 09 model.  I'm a bit slow but I worked out that it's fine on the side stand. This may have been covered here before so apologies if I'm going over old news. Can someone confirm that the 2015 models are checked on the side stand. I bought this bike with no manuals so can't check the books. 
Signed... Perplexed
Back to top Go down
nev
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
nev

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:53 pm

just changed mine this morning too Waterbottle, did it upright  so I just checked my book

the main points are ,

1. shut off the engine.
2.keep the vehicle upright with both wheels on the ground.
3. clean dipstick and replace without screwing in
4. pull it out again
5. oil level is correct when close to max mark .

that's what my book says,

I had to deal with the last numb nuts not lubing the rubber gasket  grrrr .
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I put 3 1/2 lts and its at the top of the marks  going back to shed to let a bit out .

nev.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:15 am

Nev, that works good for the old bike, not so much for the red one confused
Love your filter removal tool by the way Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
nev
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
nev

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:25 am

Cough splutter I cant afford a new unit Waterbottle this is my latest , oct 2015 Very Happy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

nev
Back to top Go down
nev
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
nev

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:22 am

Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:36 pm

Dipstick comparo
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:05 am

I'm a big fan of the Stelvio dipstick, and thanks to Pete Roper, I have a world traveled one in my GRiSO.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:19 am

One thing I wonder about is the later bikes with the Cali 14 sump still specify the same amount of oil as the earlier ones with the deeper sump and spacer arrangement. Looking at the sticks you can see that the later bikes will have the oil closer to the crank than the earlier ones and my guess is that this will increase problem of oil expulsion.

Once I get back to Oz and clear the backlog of work I'm hoping to get stuck in to the 1400 engine. One thing Mark and I did a while back was purchase all the bits needed to swap our engines over to the later sump system and I'll be doing this with the 1400 motor but I'm also thinking that designing and building some sort of 'Sloppage Sheet' such as I did for the V11 'Broad Sump' engines might be a good idea to combat oiling/expulsion problems.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Oh, stuff that, just get a Japanese bike.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:31 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
One thing I wonder about is the later bikes with the Cali 14 sump still specify the same amount of oil as the earlier ones with the deeper sump and spacer arrangement. Looking at the sticks you can see that the later bikes will have the oil closer to the crank than the earlier ones and my guess is that this will increase problem of oil expulsion.

Once I get back to Oz and clear the backlog of work I'm hoping to get stuck in to the 1400 engine. One thing Mark and I did a while back was purchase all the bits needed to swap our engines over to the later sump system and I'll be doing this with the 1400 motor but I'm also thinking that designing and building some sort of 'Sloppage Sheet' such as I did for the V11 'Broad Sump' engines might be a good idea to combat oiling/expulsion problems.

Pete

I've noticed that my Norge (8V) will spit oil into the airbox if the oil is above 1/2 full mark on the dipstick. The GRiSO (4V) seems to be fine. Not wanting to have to play around with trying to balance the bike and try to measure the oil, I made a mark on the dipsticks so I can check on the side stand. Mr. coordination I am not...........
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:14 am

Steak wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Stelvio dipstick, and thanks to Pete Roper, I have a world traveled one in my GRiSO.

Hmmm, $50ish from AF1...
Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:18 am

I think my '12 is the size of the top one. Does that mean I need medication? Sad

Will look into the stelvio stick
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Continuing this thread -- which, yes, I have read, a fact that may seem incredible after I post my question. Embarassed

Here goes:

Which dipstick in the photo below is the right one for my (2010) GRiSO?

Many thanks ... and apologies for having to ask.  Embarassed

I promise to mark the right (and wrong) one to avoid asking again.  cheers

Grazie mille.

Bill

P.S. I "think" it's the longer one. scratch
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:44 pm

I pick the longer one, too.

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:53 pm

Sloppage sheet= windage tray?
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:56 pm

its always the longer one

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:59 am

Use the yellow one in the middle; more accurate & even adjustable Wink

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:03 am

Pete Roper wrote:
One thing I wonder about is the later bikes with the Cali 14 sump still specify the same amount of oil as the earlier ones with the deeper sump and spacer arrangement. Looking at the sticks you can see that the later bikes will have the oil closer to the crank than the earlier ones and my guess is that this will increase problem of oil expulsion......

Pete

I did ask that question when I got my 2017 but got no answer...
I just did the 6000 miles service yesterday and adding 3.5 liters is too much indeed.
The 7100 Motul that I use has graduations on the can so I stayed about half inch bellow the 3.5L mark and now the deep stick shows half way between the two marks with the bike on its side stand and the stick unscrewed. I did fill the filter up with oil before pouring the rest of it in the engine...
I believe the 2015 and up require only about 3.4 Liters of oil.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:01 am

paulbrice wrote:
Use the yellow one in the middle; more accurate & even adjustable Wink

But then you have to remember if its in metric or imperial!

Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:10 am

As Beetle said, take the longer one, my 2012 carries the same.

Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:22 pm

2highlander wrote:
As Beetle said, take the longer one, my 2012 carries the same.

^^^^^ Same

Back to top Go down

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:29 pm

I just dropped the sump, changed filter etc. Put in correct amount of oil, ran it.
Then marked my dipstick with a 'nick' at the side stand level for future reference.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:10 pm

Grisonut wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:
One thing I wonder about is the later bikes with the Cali 14 sump still specify the same amount of oil as the earlier ones with the deeper sump and spacer arrangement. Looking at the sticks you can see that the later bikes will have the oil closer to the crank than the earlier ones and my guess is that this will increase problem of oil expulsion......

Pete

I did ask that question when I got my 2017 but got no answer...
I just did the 6000 miles service yesterday and adding 3.5 liters is too much indeed.
The 7100 Motul that I use has graduations on the can so I stayed about half inch bellow the 3.5L mark and now the deep stick shows half way between the  two marks with the bike on its side stand and the stick unscrewed. I did fill the filter up with oil before pouring the rest of it in the engine...
I believe the 2015 and up require only about 3.4 Liters of oil.

My 2015 Giso only takes 3 litres of oil, including that prefilled in the oil filter.  This is to get it up the the halfway mark on the dipstick (bike vertical).

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:20 pm

Dip stick screwed in or just resting on top of the threads?
Back to top Go down
allen
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
allen

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:35 am

My 07 Gris has oil pooling in gearbox and in the throttle bodies. She starts, runs fine, idles great.

But now, fellow grislings, I am sorely confused. Where did I fack up? Did I overfill (Im pretty sure I filled er up with 3.6 L, as measured by my trusty BMW funnel) or should I have filled with some lesser amount? Please help Mr. Wizard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

You Dipstick   Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Dipstick    You Dipstick   Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

You Dipstick
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next