GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What to do with the battery

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

What to do with the battery Empty
PostSubject: What to do with the battery   What to do with the battery Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:21 am

I picked up a Li Ion battery which I love. Should I yank that thing and put it on my workbench in the house on the charger for the winter, or just hook up the charger in the freezing garage for the winter?

Back to top Go down
http://jasonedwardphoto.com
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What to do with the battery   What to do with the battery Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:57 pm

LiFePO4 hold a full charge for up to 12 months. Simply charge it, or not (charge it later, when ready) and keep it in a safe place until the riding season starts. No need to trickle charge it, these batteries are good - as long as you don't use a charger with de-sulphurising!

The worst thing about these batteries is if you let it get too flat - sometimes they don't recover. If you need to know anything else about LiFePO4 batteries, just ask...
Back to top Go down
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: What to do with the battery   What to do with the battery Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:58 pm

Safest place is in the bike, right?
Back to top Go down
http://jasonedwardphoto.com
Motormike
Carlotto
Carlotto
Motormike

PostSubject: Re: What to do with the battery   What to do with the battery Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:02 am

I'm curious as to which brand Li-Ion battery you bought, and how well it mounted under the seat. I have a couple of Shorai batteries in my modest collection of bikes, and have been very pleased with them, despite their higher initial cost. I was going to put one in the GRiSO, but due to that bikes unusual battery "clamp" I decided against it and stuck with the AGM style. As far as cold weather is concerned, I know the biggest complaint against Li-Ion batteries (Li-Iron, really, I think) is they don't like to crank over in cold weather. You have to "pre-heat" the battery with the lights on or similar for a few minutes to get the electrons flowing in the cold. Doubt if I would use one on a full-on touring bike that might sit out in the cold overnight on a trip somewhere. I did buy one of those small "micro-start" battery kits that I carry with me on overnights trips, just in case a cold snap gives me battery troubles. Here's the one I use: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I just take it into my room on an overnight on a bike with a Li-Ion battery. They are pretty slick, and will even start a car! Cold thick oil and a cold battery can be a frustrating morning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do with the battery   What to do with the battery Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What to do with the battery
Page 1 of 1