GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Hello and servus from Austria

Go down 
+11
f-man
Motoguzzimackers
Pete Roper
beetle
Steak
sidrat
NorthernProducer
Papa Lazarou
wardentm
wyno
Il Griso
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

Hello and servus from Austria Empty
PostSubject: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:44 pm

Hello All,

I am new on this forum and therefore want to introduce myself:
My name is Ralf, 60 years young and driving bikes since 1974, thus 42 years now.
I am married and we have son at the age of 20.

My current bikes are a BMW G650 Challenger and since October last year a GRiSO 1200 8V SE.

I work as manager in a company, designing and manufacturing internal combustion engines for 2, 3 and 4 wheel vehicles.

My location is in the heart of the Alps in Austria (nothing to do with Aussie-land) and have all the great opportunities for motorcycling in the mountains on curvy roads. That's what I like most of all!

Currently, I am a little be frustrated about the hugh amount of snow and the cold temperatures (this morning minus 16 deg. C). As mentioned above, I bought the GRiSO in October last year, as the GRiSO is not longer sold in Europe due to the new Euro 4 emission stage and cannot wait for the first rides!

So, I look forward for good and interesting discussions with you in this forum.

Ralf
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Welcome to the forum Ralf. Sounds like for half the year you're in the the perfect spot for riding the GRiSO. Pity about how cold it is there now though.
Lots of good information and very helpful people here. Sometimes we're a bit rude but we're a cheerful bunch.
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:29 pm

G'day Ralph
Welcome from us all down under in Tasmania.
Summer here in Tas at this time, great riding weather.
Stay warm and safe
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Hi Ralf, I intend to ride to Basel this summer.
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Welcome Ralf!
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:05 am

Welcome Ralf, nice riding in the mountains :-)
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Welcome to the ghetto Ralf!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Thank's guys for the warm welcome to the ghetto!
I envy Nibbio for living in Tasmania. I just googled for the temperatures there.
Min 5 deg.C
Max 22 deg. C

You can bike all over the year....unbelievable.
My GRiSO is freezing in the garage since 4 weeks now

Min minus 18 deg. C
Max. minus 8 deg. C

What happens to the global climate warming?
This year it doesn't work as it should!

Waiting for spring and summer!
Ralf
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:01 pm

Climate change doesn't mean it won't get cold....
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:06 pm

Ralf, when climate change makes the summer temps downunda rise above 50 degrees, we're all moving to Austria.

Very Happy

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:52 pm

Welcome all to Austria!
Can show you the best pass tours for bikers in front of my house!

However, excuse me my little joke!
Nobody (including myself) wants a change in climate.
Also winter has its charm!
I am an excellent skier and enjoy the situation.

But understand my frustration: In my garage is a brand-new GRiSO with only 120 km on the tachometer waiting for me to get run-in. and since 4 weeks now temperatures down to minus 20 deg C.

However, for next week the macro weather situation may change if a typical "Föhn" wind will be established. This phenomenon causes an immediate rise in temperature up to plus 15-20 deg C within some hours. A lot of people get head-pain of this...

Greetings to you guys in down under from the upper hemisphere,
Ralf
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Summer in Oz has its down sides. I live right at the top of the dividing range in one of the 'Cooler' areas and we're expecting to be pushing 40*C a couple of days next week. Where Mark lives out in the Riverina it can stay in the high thirties and forties for weeks on end! Believe me, that's a miserable climate to be riding in!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi Pete,

I agree completely to your statement.

I have never been to Australia up to now, but 40 C is for me the same nightmare then our -20 C.
I would prefer more moderate temperatures all over the year like Tasmania.

In any case, cold temps are much better for max. performance then hot ones!
PS: Do you have good beers in down under?

Ralf
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:25 pm

There has been a recent explosion of microbreweries in Oz so our beer choices are rapidly expanding, (A bit like my girth! I fear the two may be connected!) but our major breweries produce some acceptable lagers, (Carlton draught, Melbourne bitter.) and some good black beers for those who like such things, (At Gheto Australis Cabals it is not unusual for Charlie, Mark and Tony to drink the black beer dry!) and also some dreadful ones like Fosters, West End Export and Swan lager!

Australians are famous for liking beer! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:08 pm

I think, I have to visit your continent once.
The western part of Austria prefers beer (to cold for wine to grow there)
People in the east and south parts prefer more wine to beer as this is the typical wine area.

Australia is a little strange for us. Much too far away and people stay on the earth with her head below Smile All the documentations about your spiders, crocodiles, snakes and sharks and whatever else tell me, that surviving in Australia is not so easy...
That's what we definitely not have in Austria. Especially no kangaroos. However, most time I stay in US, people mix-up our country with your's.

Time to go there to fight against preconceptions. And I think you are more relaxed then some European countries. I mean people have a more open mindset than "analytic people" in Germany and Austria
Rgs from the other side of the earth,
Ralf

Back to top Go down
Motoguzzimackers
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Motoguzzimackers

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:33 pm

60 members of the Moto Guzzi Club of Victoria came through Austria last year, on their way to Mandello from Nijmegan.  Perfect weather for 6 weeks. (Photo by Brian McKinnon).

Back to top Go down
http://motoguzzimackers.com/
f-man
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
f-man

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:12 am

Hello Ralf;

welcome to the ghetto.

Sven
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Welcome, Ralf. Here on the West Coast of the U.S. we can generally ride year-round and we do have some beautiful mountains too. Not the Alps, but pretty nice for riding a GRiSO.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:21 am

Wilkommen Ralf. You are in the right place for making your GRiSO happy. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Down under guys,

today I will show you something, which I'm not sure to find it in your area.
Click to the following link and then to "Ja, ich bin älter als 16 Jahre" (Yes, I am older then 16 years) and the click to "Weiter zur Webside".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It is a very small but even more excellent beer brewery close to my home town in Tyrol.
The brewery is located since 1880 in an old robber-knight castle.

Over the past 30 years, Starkenberger beer was rewarded with 40 gold medals at the Monde Selection in Bruxelles.

Up to know it sounds good.
The best at the end:

Click to "Biermythos":
There is a big pool inside the castle filled-up with good beer...and you can sit/swim/dive or just drink.
The castle is located in a small town named Tarrenz at the east-ramp of the Hahntennjoch, one of the most famous biking routes in the alps.

After a hard day on the GRiSO on all the curvy alp-tours a well-deserved end.
Ralf
Back to top Go down
Stu400
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Stu400

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:37 am

Hi Ralf
Welcome, i too bought one of the last SE's in the UK. It's wet and horrible here. I'm assuming you work for Rotax? The company I work for have a factory in Lienz (and another in Brixen). I often dream of riding the roads there that I drive in by hire cars in Austria.
Back to top Go down
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi Stu,

your assumption is not so bad!
And riding in the Austrian and Italian alps is gives you the right kick for the work at Rotax!

From Lienz, it's a short way to the Italian dolomite's. If you are there for business, add the weekend to your trip and rent a bike there. Biking with a GRiSO in this area is like heaven on earth!

I terms of weather, it's a nightmare currently.
After 4 weeks of coldness close to minus 20 C, we got warm weather today (mins 5 C) and strong rain. The north/eastern parts of Austria are covered with ice! There was partly no public traffic possible this morning. They put tons of salt on the roads, but it was really severe.

And if Austrians have issues with keeping the roads ridable, you can image what it means.

Congratulation, that you too could get a GRiSO.
It's the most emotional bike I ever owned in my life...
... and I can't wait for spring
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:41 pm

Well, rats, I missed welcoming you in a timely way.  Apologies.

In any event, herzlich willkommen.

Kathi and I visited Lienz a few years ago when we stayed a bit down the road in Toblach ... and where she tried to kill me by hiking nonstop in the Naturpark Fanes-Sennes-Prags and other nearby torture sites.  This was in early June and the weather was quite fine for what she wanted to do. queen

Anyway, you do live in stupendously gorgeous country, with all sorts of roads.  We will be back in Germany (to visit family) and Italy (to hike!  Crying or Very sad ) in September, but won't be near enough to say hi.

If your travels bring you anywhere near the top of Virginia, let us know, as we always have a spare bedroom (and Guzzi) for such guests.  If you like to hike, I also think I can recommend a guide.  Wink

Best wishes,

Bill
Back to top Go down
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:48 pm

Thank's Bill for your welcome and your offer!

Currently, there is no trip to Virginia planned.
Between Christmas and New Year, I spend a few days in Seattle for vacation with my family.

We loved the landscape and the mentality there. Within the short stay we have been to mt. St. Helens (by the way, much more snow there then in Austria), Olympic park, the mountains east of Seattle and of course a whale watching tour (have seen some orcas in close distance - great moments!).

Next trip will may be Route 66...

I am living with my family in a house close to linz (in the mid section of Austria) due to my profession. The area is very nice near to the lake district and the alps.

However, I own a second house in western part of Austria in Tyrol in the mid of the Austrian alps.
From end of July till mid of August I stay there with my bikes for endless curvy tours...

So, if you will come close to me, just contact me, a room for you and a garage for the GRiSO is reserved!

PS: Why is your nationality shown as Poland?

Take care, Ralf

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Cool.  

A few comments in response to yours.

We, too, have family in Seattle (Edmonds).  Spent 15 - 26 December there.  We may have passed you in the airport.   Very Happy

Some super Grisisti out there.  And, one of the great Guzzi shops, too.  My brother and another buddy recently bought new Guzzis from Moto-International, and had the shipped, respectively, to Georgia and Pennsylvania.  

More on my trip here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks for the invitation, and I renew mine.

The roundel?  I am married to a Polish princess (from Erie, Pa.  Wink ) and count myself lucky for that every day.  It's a way of showing my gratitude.   queen

Every now and then, tho, just on whim, I change it to Germany, for my birth, and Ireland, from where my American side came in 1662.  

Best,

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello and servus from Austria   Hello and servus from Austria Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Hello and servus from Austria
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next