GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...

Go down 
+3
sidrat
Motormike
Crazy88
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Crazy88
Carlotto
Carlotto
Crazy88

GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?... Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...   GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:12 am

Hi all, I guess this subject has probably been done to death, sorry about that! I'm looking to by my first Moto Guzzi and recently found a fantastic looking 2010 in Tenni green. We haven't got a Moto Guzzi dealership nearby so i've gambled a bit and put a deposit down, it's coming from a Triumph dealership in Stafford...

I didn't know anything about the cam follower issue at the time and it seems pretty serious/widespread - my bike will likely be affected so shall I call it all off if there's no evidence of it being fixed? What are the risks? I gather it's £££ to upgrade out of warrantee but I really want the bike, there's good service history with it but not full service history, ruling out Moto Guzzi footing the bill.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm new to Moto Guzzi and don't want to be landed with a broken bike before I even start
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...   GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:30 am

Ask for a peek-a-boo under the tappet cover, Mr Roper has posted photos on the subject and there are easy spotable differences.
Back to top Go down
Motormike
Carlotto
Carlotto
Motormike

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...   GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:11 am

As has been said, the only way to be sure is to pull off a valve cover and look. If it still has the flat tappets, then the deal should be priced accordingly. Mileage then becomes important, as damage is progressively worse as the miles pile up. Some tappets wear early, some last for miles, but they all go eventually. My U.S. bike had only 4500 miles on it, showing just the smallest wear through on the tappets when I looked into it. But it was there....
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...   GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:28 am

The Triumph Guys at Stafford a pretty cool, they might even take a look for you?
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...   GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:29 am

Oh and welcome :-)

If you get it all sorted we are having a GRiSO meet in May, take a look at the cabals section
Back to top Go down
Motormike
Carlotto
Carlotto
Motormike

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...   GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:08 am

I hope the bike, and the price, are right for you and it works out. The GRiSO is most definitely a bike worth saving. But then, I like to rescue old motorcycles like most people rescue a puppy!
Back to top Go down
Stu400
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Stu400

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...   GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:19 pm

Forza Italia at Silverstone have a 1200 for sale with some nice extras. The guys there have a good reputation and would be able to tell you if their one has been rollerised. Only downside is the white isn't as nice as the tenni SE colourscheme
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...   GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:22 pm

I love the white ones.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...   GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:08 pm

i like the white ones too, had a white Monster s4rs that i really liked (isabella was her name, as you can see she was a dirty girl bike). In the end i bought a black one locally, it was a good deal for a good bike and black does suit it. I looked at a tenni but the matt paint and wire wheels are not my thing, and the price was not right either. Which ever one you get it will talk to you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...   GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:44 pm

If you like it, get it. Rolarization and its price should be part of the debate with the seller, still, if you like it, get it, knowing that its something that needs to be done.

Bikes ARE like women... Guzzis are the long time relation kind, so get the one you like most, its nice to feel this "something" (lust?) whet you look at it (her) even after one or more decades - even if it (she) makes some scenes from time to time...
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...   GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?... Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Dealers are human beings & purchasers just need to assume the worst (so they never get disappointed)...... I bought my 2009 GRiSO in July 2014 from Forza Italiana & it had already had replacement tappets & they thought the problem was 100% fixed with the new bits + said there wasn't a huge general problem with cams & followers/forums were doomsayers etc....sadly the replacements in 2013 were also FLAT ones & they quickly failed again 6k miles later - I fixed it myself on basis cheaper (labour) and at least I can only blame myself in future.....I'm sure they were in dark same as everyone else back then, but visual checks now have got to be the only way to be sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...   GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO cam followers - shall I buy or run for the hills?...
Page 1 of 1