GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Didn't want to hear this

Go down 
+8
sidrat
MalG
paulbrice
waterbottle
Bill Hagan
avgpetro
Pete Roper
Nobleswood
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat May 13, 2017 3:41 am

I'd hazard a guess you're 100% right.......
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat May 13, 2017 5:16 pm

Filled up the oil & went for a ride. The Tappet noise has gone !

Thanks to all for the help getting this puzzle figured out.
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat May 13, 2017 5:23 pm

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat May 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Nah, this is the thing, it wasn't a tappet noise. My guess is that there was insufficient oil being delivered to fill the tensioner reservoirs and therefore the plungers were incapable of pumping up. Result? Tensioners blades threshing about like crazy under the influence of the chains as they loaded and unloaded.

Hopefully there was sufficient getting to the bottom end and cam bearings. It's the big ends that are most critical. Cams run at half crank speed so stresses on the oil wedge are generally lower.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat May 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Hard to tell.

The only further comment is that since replacing the RH camchain plunger, now when I start the bike for the count of 1, 2, 3 there is a hard tap tap noise, which goes away as the oil pump builds pressure. This is different from the problem noise.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat May 13, 2017 5:52 pm

That's just the time it takes for the tensioner to prime up. Some are worse than others. I can only surmise due to manufacturing tolerances.
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat May 13, 2017 6:11 pm

Thats what I believe. However I think it is a different noise to the problem noise.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Glad I found this thread!! Thumbs Up

Have the exact same symptoms on my bike...
Knocking noise when hot after a restart mostly or sitting at a red light.
It's not constant though, so it eventually disappear until I shut it off and restart 10/15 minutes later
The oil light comes on at times (rare) but only stays a second or two max, so I figured it was oil starvation of some sort and blame the oil pump and the fact that the bike hit the ground hard on Dec 2015 during my wreck?
I put 2000 miles on the bike since the wreck and the noise started 300 miles ago. Currently have 14K miles total.

So all I need is the sump gasket?
I want to trade this thing for the rosso one eventually...
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2017 3:04 pm

It's the gasket between the sump spacer & the crankcase.

Wasn't too hard to get to. Took me longer to take the bike to the dealer & then get it back ! Razz
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun May 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Did your oil light ever come on?
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon May 22, 2017 3:36 am

No. The oil light behaved normally.
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon May 22, 2017 4:58 am

Grisonut wrote:
Did your oil light ever come on?

Your oil light should never come on with a running engine, I would want to find out why it lights up before driving the bike again..
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon May 22, 2017 2:52 pm

I kinda feel the same way but I saw it come on 3 times to be exact and it only stays for about a second, almost a blink.
So I'm not worry yet but I just don't like that noise when it comes on so the bike is parked anyway until I get the gasket and if it doesn't cure the problem, I'm trading this thing for sure!
Back to top Go down
WCB
Biondino
Biondino
WCB

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:51 am

Nobleswood wrote:
I didn't realise the tensioner could cause such problems. I'll have a look Monday night.
Thanks

When my right side tensioner went tits, it made it sound like a bearing rap on the right side. It happened especially after the motor was good and hot. Comparing the old tensioner in my hand to the new one was telling. There was very little tension when squeezing it compared to the new part. FWIW, my Stelvio was always noisier on that side, so my thought is that it was probably a weaker tensioner than the left side from the get go.

It's still kind of noisy (more than other new Stelvio's I've listened to) for the first second after starting, and I wonder if my cam chains are stretched out a bit at 85,000 miles.

I'll be doing the clutch over the winter, so I'll check them then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Didn't want to hear this   Didn't want to hear this - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Didn't want to hear this
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3