GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?

Go down 
+5
Papa Lazarou
Brent S
Steak
Pete Roper
Tommy-S
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Tommy-S
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Tommy-S

Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:08 am

Recently i bought my GRiSO and for a while had no problems with it until i notcied the tyre kept loosing air very slowly. I took it to get checked out at the tyre place and the bucket of water and soap trick revealed air leaking from where the spokes meet the rim!!
I put some bead sealer along the inside of the rim, to cover where the spokes come through the rim, but it hasnt worked.   Question  Question
Has anyone else had this issue, or know a fix that may help me out?

Many thanks!
Tommy -S
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:56 am

Replace the o-rings on the offending spokes.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:49 pm

Yup.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Make sure that the offending spoke is adequately tightened. I had one come loose on the front wheel when my GRiSO was only 6 months old. Went for a ride, all good. Came out to the garage next day and the front was dead flat. The leak was so bad I thought the spoke o-ring had completely shat itself, so I took it back to the dealer and all they had to do was tighten the spoke, and problem gone. 3 years later and no more dramas.
Back to top Go down
Tommy-S
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Tommy-S

PostSubject: Re: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:24 am

Thanks folks!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:49 am

Also, if it's a GRiSO still under warranty, PIAGGIO will replace said offending nipples, including labor. At least that was my experience.

Once fixed, I've never had a recurrence on either the GRiSO or the Stelvio.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Tommy-S
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Tommy-S

PostSubject: Re: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:23 am

I have just tried tightening the spoken on the front wheel, hopefully this will solve the leaking issue without having to replace any o rings.
Also, do Grisos with spoked wheels all run tubeless tyres? or can you run them with tubed typres? as this would solve the issue completely and she will need a new tyre soon anyway.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:26 am

You can run anything with tubed tyres. This may cause friction between tube and outer carcase at higher speeds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Adding a tube will make your wheel heavier, but I can fix that. pirat
Back to top Go down
oldandgrumpy
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
oldandgrumpy

PostSubject: Re: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:40 pm

Rear wheel air leak. I bought a set of jack stands, wrapped tape around a length of 3/4 “ black pipe (to protect shiny frame hole entrance bling) and removed wheel, which I then dunked in a tote full of water. Located the leak, like a string of small pearls. Tightened the nipple but was only able to reduce the flow to a fine silver chain. I marked the spoke and took it to the local dealer, and the service guy I talked to told me there were no o’rings in a wheel. I made him look it up and then he told me there were none available within several days. Eight days and four phone calls later I drove over to be informed that had now dismounted the tire and were trying to source an o’ring locally. This in a city 70 km. from the heart of Vancouver, a city with a 2 million plus population. This is not acceptable because I have owned this machine for 8 months, and due to circumstances (continuous rain, snow, ice, and health problems ) I have ridden it less than 500 km. and now it’s raining again. I have a continuing health problem that makes it nearly impossible to do my own repairs. It took nearly 2 days to get the rear wheel off. My thoughts are to bypass the local twit show, buy a set of cast wheels and have them fitted with a set of nice Michelin tires, and go riding with whatever time I have left. Any thoughts on a source of wheels.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:07 am

I'm running 09 wire wheels and despite thinking they were leaking air; it hasn't really got to point that I need to re-pressure that often; but I have cast wheels waiting in the wings; I haven't tried the Silicon approach; and the 'o ring' replacement sounded way too much risk and pain from previous threads.

There's loads of stuff on you tube that varies between Outex tape & straight caulking the inner diameter with 100% silicon . I think a few people on forum claim good experience of going this route but not clear how long it lasts....

For inner tube the 'hole' is 8.3mm btw

You could go Kineo or equivalent if budget isn't a limit and you want to keep wire wheel look

If you go like me for std cast wheels (lot cheaper than Kineo) you'll have to buy different front axle (I bought disk rotors, spacer/washer & end nut just to have fast switch over) - see below.

So far I'm working to wear down the tyres on the wire wheels and then switch to cast with new tyres

Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:44 pm

If using the silicone approach, get a stick of Sikaflex marine 591. Far more durable than run of the mill silicon sealants and maintains elasticity in high vibration joints. I not a Sika rep Thumbs Up

My spokes have been good for years and would fit new O rings if a problem.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:28 pm

oldandgrumpy wrote:
Rear wheel air leak.  I bought a set of jack stands, wrapped tape around a length of 3/4 “ black pipe (to protect shiny frame hole entrance bling) and removed wheel, which I then dunked in a tote full of water.  Located the leak, like a string of small pearls. Tightened the nipple but was only able to reduce the flow to a fine silver chain.  I marked the spoke and took it to the local dealer, and the service guy I talked to told me there were no o’rings in a wheel. I made him look it up and then he told me there were none available within several days.  Eight days and four phone calls later I drove over to be informed that had now dismounted the tire and were trying to source an o’ring locally. This in a city 70 km. from the heart of Vancouver, a city with a 2 million plus population.  This is not acceptable because I have owned this machine for 8 months, and due to circumstances (continuous rain, snow, ice, and health problems ) I have ridden it less than 500 km. and now it’s raining again.  I have a continuing health problem that makes it nearly impossible to do my own repairs. It took nearly 2 days to get the rear wheel off. My thoughts are to bypass the local twit show, buy a set of cast wheels and have them fitted with a set of nice Michelin tires, and go riding with whatever time I have left.  Any thoughts on a source of wheels.  

I have a 2007 in New Westminster with the cast wheels, perhaps we can swap
I'm not afraid of spokes leaking, I converted my 72 Eldorado wheels to tubeless.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?   Slow Puncture Fix-  Any Ideas? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Slow Puncture Fix- Any Ideas?
Page 1 of 1