GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Broken Throttle Cable

Go down 
+3
Conor W
Pete Roper
McCarthy1983
7 posters
AuthorMessage
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

Broken Throttle Cable Empty
PostSubject: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 2:18 am

Hi All,

My throttle cable seemed to have broken last night when blipping the throttle on downshifts. I have searched the site and looks like this is a very UNCOMMON problem, especially on a bike with just 17,000 miles on the clock. However, it needs replacing. Does anyone in the UK know of any good Guzzi parts suppliers I can source these from.

Thanks
Andrew
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 3:27 am

Very rare! I haven't ever replaced one apart from for cosmetic reasons. Mind you the rubber boots on mine are long gone and the throttle looks like it's been gnawed by rats! Bloody UV!
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 4:01 am

Perhaps its just disconnected. Its the throttle opening cable thats the issues. I also notice that the throttle closing had one thread come lose at the hand grip end, so thinking while I have the bike apart to potentially fix a disconnected cable, I may as well just order replacements
Back to top Go down
Conor W
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Conor W

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 4:44 am

Andrew

For info - I broke one at thread on throttlebody end at one point. Bought some non oem spares which seemed ok quality wise but didn't quite fit the same as oem's at the hard tube section at tb end. Pete unearthed his guzzi spare for me and it fitted perfectly.

Conor
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 5:33 am

Thank you Conor, just out of interest, who made the OEM spare part, just so I know to avoid
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 6:38 am

For OEM spares I have used Fowlers of Bristol & TLM in Netherlands for lots of stuff including cam kit for rollers (euro forex is poor at moment).....as always choice is mainly a question whether they have some in stock at the time of need.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 6:50 am

Forgot to add that in these IOT days; postage costs are no longer proportional to the size of the package or the distance across the world (in fact often the inverse)....so it always pays to look wide.

Back to top Go down
GR1064
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GR1064

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 4:37 pm

As mentioned by another poster, in addition to Fowlers and TLM you could try the following:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ebay?

I looked up the part numbers, the opener is 978743 and the closer is 978744.

Brian
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 12:27 am

Or if you are really stuck, then Venhills make will make one to measure
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 2:27 am

Thank you all, I managed to purchase a pair of cables from Gutsibits...Jeez, there not cheap are they!!!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 2:39 am

No. Pity you had to buy them from thieves.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 2:43 am

Pete Roper wrote:
No. Pity you had to buy them from thieves.

That is an interesting comment Pete? Is there more we should know?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 3:07 am

A decade or more ago I designed, manufactured and marketed a baffle plate for V11's. They stole the design and doppeled it and sell it with no credit as to source and certainly no royalty.

When queried about this their response has always been that they don't respond to Internet rumours.

This product isn't 'Similar' it is an identical copy of my design even down to the thickness of the plate which was chosen simply because the people I get them made by had some plate in that thickness. It's actually not a 'Standard' plate thickness but in their eagerness to copy a known good design they obviously decided it had to be identical!

Thing is, if they'd approached me and asked I would of said sure, go ahead, but add an extra five quid and donate that to Medicienes Sans Frontiers and we'd be golden.

Fat chance. A mob of cunts I'm afraid. The one thing I like is that I wake up every morning and look at the beauty of the hills outside my home. They wake up and look at Huddersfield!

Pete
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 3:13 am

Ah, i can understand now the resentment
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:10 pm

When tightening the cable at the throttle body end be very careful, the fitting male thread is only brass although it looks like steel, perhaps a drop of blue thread locker.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken Throttle Cable   Broken Throttle Cable Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Broken Throttle Cable
Page 1 of 1