GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Dash LCD Fail

Go down 
+2
MalG
bahamazoo
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 4:39 am

Greetings gents!

I have just had the LCD dash do the intermittent fail dance.Shocked
After a rousing Cabal at the Budgie, cheers the day after returning home, my bro-in-law borrowed Big Red to - this is a long story, those at the Budgie have some of Mikes back story, he also destroyed his chain and sprockets (apparently its an important part of the drive train???) to go borrow a chain breaker (I offered my Fleetwood Mac collection, but was refused...), and upon his late return (he got lost...nessuna sorpresa Rolling Eyes ) and says "your dash just went blank." affraid

Mmm. Turn on and off, all working as it should. Go for a lap around, all good.
Fast forward to today, dash went blank as we went off for a blat around the hinterland.
Came back on at stop /start, but disappeared after 2 or 3 minutes. 
Repeated this all day.
It's holding the information between hiccups, and the backlight is still glowing.
I know I'm not the first for this, but what is the consensus gents??

-and yes Tony, I know, don't let Mike (aka Jonah) ride my bike.... oh, and he managed to break the breaker.... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 2:18 pm

That explains it - Mike parked next to me at the Budgie, and on the way back the Engine Management System light (orange) goes on, then off occasionally. And last night the shift lever came off the the gear selector spline. It's all Mike's doing. And that just being in his vicinity. I don't know what your sister would say if the root cause was removed/eliminated.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 2:27 pm

Quote :
I know I'm not the first for this, but what is the consensus gents??

It's a witch! Burn it!

Suspect

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Ha ha, I shall consult with the sister, I believe he is quite heavily over-insured!!!! Twisted Evil

hope you get those gremlins out Mal.

Aaaaand Beetle, do you mean we should burn the 'Scarlet Putta' (also known as Aprilia RST Futura), or are you alluding to..... Shocked
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 pm

You know what to do....

...especially if the Sport starts by itself....

Twisted Evil

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 pm

Sport is alive and well, and actually starting to transform into a GRiSO!!! -well, she now has GRiSO rear brakes... post pending.
She has also recently morphed from a Goose into a Toucan... post also pending.
Just has a blank expression on her face Razz
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 4:11 pm

On a more serious note, the dash (I prefer to call them 'instruments'), has multiple power connections and several ground connections. It would be worthwhile to pull the connectors to reseat them, plus check for corrosion.

Suspect

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2017 4:20 pm

let me go and check my instrument... 
and her connections bounce
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 9:26 pm

update: pulled all the connection plugs at the back of the dash, sprayed contact cleaner into the holes, and polished the spades with 1200 w&d, and put a dab of dielectric grease on them, same with all the auxiliary fuses and the 2 main fuses. No corrosion noticed.
Went for a 15 minute hillside tour Smile

Result.
= Same. Sad

LCD comes on with key and start up dance, and lasts for a few minutes before going blank, but comes back on with key off/on with change in time and distance done.... so it is functioning as it should, just goes to sleep whilst underway.
next move...scratch???

-maybe go back in and look for these ground connectors of which you speak... I pulled reseated the 'master' plug, and clipped the cable tie holding the bunch on the LHS and sorted those - is/are there others??
might also pull the ECU plug....
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 9:48 pm

Mayhap the LCD module is rooted.

Grounds are on pins 17, 19, 20 & 29.

Suspect

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 9:55 pm

thanks, hopefully I got them in the general clean up Shocked  

mmm si, but why would it work on start-up, be happy at idle, then disappear when rolling....
I've just pulled/cleaned/replaced the speed sensor, am off for another blat...
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 10:12 pm

well, speedo still works Very Happy
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 10:30 pm

If the LCD module connections inside the instrument cluster are loose or dirty, it could be causing the problem. Unless it's soldered directly to the circuit board. You might be looking at a dry joint. I've not seen inside a Guzzi instrument cluster, so it's all speculation.

Suspect

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 10:42 pm

These are repairable, and others have had issues with itinerant moisture. Not done it myself mind...

Come to think of it, there are ants in mine that maybe should not be. Spose I could pull it apart while waiting for my other bits to arrive (first I need to strip and determine what is needed to get the oil leak to not), but, as always, requires some planning and thought...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 10:47 pm

Google is our friend. Turns out, wet speedo sensor can cause blank dash. There's even a couple of threads on the Ghetto about it.

Rolling Eyes

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 10:57 pm

Yeah, that's why I did a number on that. It's currently very clean and by no means wet...
I'm agreeing with Tony on the dry joint idea. LCD happy on key on and idle, but when you are rolling it disappears... vibration driven?
Currently doing wind tunnel testing to see if it's time or bump related.

(Note the dead 'Scarlet  Putta' in the background....)
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2017 11:49 pm

doesn't appear to be time related...
tank off, did upper end of speed sensor. ride tomoz.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Fri May 26, 2017 1:04 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
These are repairable, and others have had issues with itinerant moisture. Not done it myself mind...
Come to think of it, there are ants in mine that maybe should not be. Spose I could pull it apart while waiting for my other bits to arrive
yes, yes you could  cheers cheers  and do a yootoob vid, or at least a photo expose' while you're at it!!!!

or I can blindly pull mine apart and really screw the pooch Razz Razz Razz

I do think the dry joint is the likely the fault.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Fri May 26, 2017 8:51 pm

Hate to say it, but start with a known good sensor. Don't ask me how I know...
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Sat May 27, 2017 3:21 am

soooo, does that mean you now have a "known good sensor'???

and I'll bite, how do you know jocolor
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Sat May 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Fitted and staying that way. The original one I recently threw out at work as I was unable to get into it - potted too well to pull apart, but not enough to allow moisture ingress. Just costs $$
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:51 pm

ok, status update....
spoke to a 'local' MG dealer who informed me that my dash "is fooked, and a new one is about $1000, six weeks to get"
spoke to a non-local wizard who said, "mmm, maybe buggered, but pull and clean every connection. If the computer is working (it is) then it sounds like a connection issue."
so did that, with help of spare parts harness pics, pulled and cleaned every plug. 
there are a lot of plugs.
no change to issue, but all my plugs are like new Razz 
Further studies noticed the dash fail at +/- 3000rpm... regardless of speed.
More googling, found photo expose' of dash pull apart, so, armed with that and fresh shiraz (well, 2014) and a couple of screwdrivers...
chrome bezel = easy off.
dig out silicone sealant surrounding perspex 'glass' = easy enough.
lever and prise glass off the base.... mmm not so good. 3/4 lifted easy, top row across idiot lights would not budge.
put tools down, refilled shiraz after tiny crack appeared mystically above tach... Shocked   reassembled dash and back on bike, all as it was, kinda almost.

Stewed for a day, then contacted Carmo Electronics in Holland. 
"The LCD is a weak part of the Moto Guzzi dashboards.
I could test it for you but in 99 of the 100 times it is the LCD itself, what is defect. 
We have searched many hours to find a supplier of the LCD's. But still without any success. "

So I'll be sending my dash to them, and they'll recode a refurbished dash to my code and mileage, with a 3 day turn-around (plus postage time) for about AUD$200....
Sounds like a plan.

or I could save my 200, and ride like the old days, without the new-fangled time teller (I could wear a watch), and fuel burn calculator (pencil and paper at fuel up) and player comfort metre (shit its cold/hot)...

EDIT: we'll see what the Koen the tech says, but it seems that Beetle may have been on the money...
"Mayhap the LCD module is rooted" 

I hate that.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:00 pm

If Carmo can't fix it I can get you one for about $800

Pete
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:29 pm

post script edit...

All CARMO will do is try find another one off a wreck and swap it into yours for a healthy fee.....
There, as of early last year, no intel as to where Guzzi sourced its LCDs (please correct me if something has surfaced since) could be found.
But I did find a gentlemen from a time when they didn't have 'click purchase', and they so fixed things rather than replace them....
He saw my dash work, then not work, and he gave me a 50/50 chance.
I printed out what I could find, pictures from others delving in, and from the parts cat.

He fixed it.
Its been a while, and its still going strong (touch wood). Storms, hours riding in the rain, wash downs...

Apparently, the ribbon cable that connects the circuit board to the LCD has a ridiculously sharp bend as it enters the LCD, and he described the fix as "like acupressure". If he pushed "here" it worked.... so he basically packed the cable against the side of the housing so that it is constantly "pushed here"... He was not keen to attempt to replace the ribbon cable, it is basically part of the LCD, and not really repairable. His guess was that there was/is a break in a wire, and the pressure connected the circuit. He gave me his ATC* warranty...

The gentleman works with scientific instruments, and importantly, LCD dashboards in BMW, Audis, Rollers, Jags, Astin Martins, in fact any $$$$$ vehicles...he could not locate a matching LCD anywhere.

Definitely worth the $140 labour charge.

*Around The Corner. Said it might last a day, a week, possibly 5 years.Maybe more.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:45 pm

So, sort of a win, eh Pat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dash LCD Fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dash LCD Fail   Dash LCD Fail Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Dash LCD Fail
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next