GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake?

Go down 
+2
MrGPz
not-fishing
6 posters
AuthorMessage
not-fishing
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
not-fishing

Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake? Empty
PostSubject: Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake?   Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:28 pm

Another day with a 120 mile run for work in California, another driver making a left hand turn from a right hand lane.

"They" missed me again and once again I was spending to much attention on keeping the rear straight while releasing rear brake pressure.

My problem isn't with the front brake, I've done the panic stop practice thing and have been riding for to many miles for it to be a "newbie" problem.  So now I'm looking for a mechanical way to reduce my power on the rear brake.

Options that I can see are a stronger return spring, less leverage or a larger master cylinder.  It's funny how I don't have this problem with linked brakes.

Has anyone come up with a fix for this problem?

Mark
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake?   Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Harder brake pads?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake?   Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Hi Mark,
I would have thought a smaller master cylinder piston/less travel would give less power/efficiency.
But, I have made a mod to Bella for this same reason and it reduces unsprung and rotational weight.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I drilled (actually milled), the existing holes to 13mm, you may not wish to drill the inner row so large but I have had no issue.

Need to stand on the pedal a lot harder now as there is less surface area for the pads to bight on.
Alternatively, you could butcher a set of pads by removing a portion of the material, a cheap trial and error method.

If you find a disc like such that fits the Guzzi, let me know.

Wayne.

Last edited by ghezzi on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake?   Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:45 pm

Another option;
Adjust lever, or add a lower "toe" piece to the brake pedal.
Such that your ankle runs out of rotational movement, hence lack of foot pressure to overcome the lead in your boot (or head).  geek

This can be a real bugger tho, especially if you are prone to trail braking during maximum lean angle, corner attack.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake?   Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:43 pm

I first encountered this problem when the CARC bikes were introduced. I locked up the rear on my Breva 1100 coming from being accustomed to using a heavy foot with linked brakes on other Guzzis I owned or have ridden. The rear brake is simply too effective.

My solution was to change the pads for organics. My choice is the Premier P114.

They list their competitors as:-
Ferodo FDB2018
Vesrah VD-947
Dunlopad DP617.

BTW, I wouldn't recommend a harder pad. They tend to be more aggressive once they've warmed up.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake?   Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Modulation over modification...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake?   Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:35 am

Cheap pads work good for me... you have to press hard to lock 'em up, perfect! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
not-fishing
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
not-fishing

PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake?   Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake? Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Well I might have come up with a fix. Put stock (or Rizoma) pegs back on. I bought my GRiSO used with 1" drop pegs on it.

After putting stock pegs on the G11 and a few panic stops no lock-up.

I realize now it's basic ergo metrics. With the pegs higher you have limited ankle strength to press on the brake lever.

With the pegs lower you can basically lock your ankle and stomp the brakes which produce a lot more pressure in a panic.

Also the bike shifts easier and better. There's not as much piegon-toe action going on for each shift because the 1'+ heel offset is no longer present.

Now on to lowering the handlebar.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake?   Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:36 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
I first encountered this problem when the CARC bikes were introduced.  I locked up the rear on my Breva 1100 coming from being accustomed to using a heavy foot with linked brakes on other Guzzis I owned or have ridden.  The rear brake is simply too effective.

My solution was to change the pads for organics.  My choice is the Premier P114.

They list their competitors as:-
Ferodo FDB2018
Vesrah VD-947
Dunlopad DP617.

BTW, I wouldn't recommend a harder pad.  They tend to be more aggressive once they've warmed up.

Does the Breva 1100 use the same rear brake pads as the GRiSO 8v? I'm asking because I hate the rear brake on the GRiSO. There is like 3 centimeters of free play where nothing happens, then a zone of like 3mm that controls all the brake action, which means in any realistic panic stop the rear locks up (happened a couple of times now) which means I'm now not ever using the rear brake unless its to hold the bike in place while standing still on an incline.
Since I noticed my current rear brake pads are rusting where they meet the pistons I thought it would be a good moment to change them out for some really soft ones. Ideally I'd like braek pads that won't ever lock the rear wheel even when I'm jumping on the lever. bounce
Would the Ferodo FDB2018P work for the GRiSO? (Couldn't find the P114's anywhere) And would these be 'softer' than my current pads (EBC FA181)?
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake?   Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Yes, the Breva 1100 uses the same pads.

Dunno about the Ferodo FDB2118P, you should ask your supplier what the "P" suffix means. I've only used the Premier P114, and can attest they're woefully pathetic which is exactly what you're looking for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake?   Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Any Suggestions on Mod for locking rear brake?
Page 1 of 1