GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Stelvio Shock

Go down 
+3
paulbrice
guzziownr
sidrat
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:32 am

So if i get a Stelvio shock to replace the standard GRiSO one, i have three questions, that after searching i cannot find an answer too.

1/ I assume that the adjustment is rebound only? however are the rebound and compression linked at a set ration, like the Hagon shocks?
2/ Is the spring rate the same? I have not ridden a Stelvio, but i would guess they are softer than a GRiSO? although the spring wire looks thicker
3/ Any problems with the original sidestand being too short?

All input welcome :-)
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:20 am

There are two adjustments.  The big knob at the top and a smaller one at the base barely visible in this picture.  I assumed the top one was rebound and the bottom compression but your post now has me doubting that.  Could someone more knowledgeable please comment.

I think the Stelvio spring is more robust in addition to the extra travel.  It has never bottomed significantly where the GRiSO shock had destroyed it's bump stop from bottoming.

The sidestand is obviously a bit shorter due to raising the rear but it is still usable.  I pick and choose my spots when I park in awareness of this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I now weigh 220 lbs with no gear but that could change since I have started making doughnuts with my breadmaker and electric fryer.

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:11 am

The top knob (pun intended !) is for pre-load and does same as the two rings at the top of the GRiSO shock. (twist it for sag, passengers etc).[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:27 am

Thank you Gentlemen, I would be upset Paul if you missed an opportunity for a knob Joke :-)

I wondered if the rebound damping also altered the compression at the same time, quite often they are on a 1 to 3 ratio?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:55 am

I'm looking forward to hearing how it rides - should get twitchier than a birdwatcher with all the extra rear height (especially if the front is lowered as well)......

....will let you know if I ever get my Matris sorted as currently with preload almost non-existent (adjuster rings up at the top); the bike (240kgish) gives me 14mm rear sag & I can only add an extra 6mm with my weight. Bouncing the back still feels like there isn't any suspension
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:01 am

Paul maybe you should take a leaf out of guzziownr post and start on the donuts. If i put it on i will raise up the front probably back to just one or two lines showing and start from there. At least the sag can be set really easily with the the "little Knob" :-)
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:35 am

Ok, so being the impetuous person that i am i have pressed the button and got a second hand stelvio shock winging its way to me from Germany. Guzziownr tells me the stand will be ok, so i will work the rest out when it arrives and write up my thoughts.

As its an inexpensive change i will be interested to know if the improvement solves my problems without having to spend a serious wedge. They are stronger spring, ride height increase and more travel without spoiling any damping settings.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:04 am

I did not lower the front and I found the balance of weight between front and rear to my liking. Now I know how to set rear preload so something to do!
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:47 am

guzziownr wrote:
I did not lower the front and I found the balance of weight between front and rear to my liking.  Now I know how to set rear preload so something to do!

Preload setting will be a piece of cake with the adjuster, there is no excuse now. What ring did you leave the front forks on?
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm sorry, what's a knob and why is it so funny?
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:24 pm

sidrat wrote:
What ring did you leave the front forks on?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:58 pm

Knob is a way to adjust your pre-load on your bike; there's also one in your underpants but you need to be careful not to turn that one too far or too quickly or you'll really upset the handling; especially when you're on a bumpy ride (going up and down too much).

Keith has kindly introduced how much ring is exposed as well; but I think we've already taken double-entendres too far already on this thread :-)
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:48 pm

Front sag is at 1.5 CM

Rear sag 3 cm

Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:39 am

Paul, Guzziownr and I am setting them up for you, what with Knobs, rings and now front and rear Sag, you just have to knock them over :-)

guzziownr, thanks for the pics :-)
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:56 am

I am going to give that knob a twist and put in a little more rear preload.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:06 am

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:48 pm

2.5 CM at max preload so there you go.
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:23 am

I did this shock last year on my GRiSO 850. For the first time the front and rear ends talked to each other. Bike was so much more sure footed and the slight height increase stopped me scraping pegs and bottoming out.
My mate Gregg and I swapped it out in about an hour maybe a tad less. Went straight in, no wrestling the carc etc.

Good call.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:26 am

GHTE wrote:
I did this shock last year on my GRiSO 850. For the first time the front and rear ends talked to each other. Bike was so much more sure footed and the slight height increase stopped me scraping pegs and bottoming out.
My mate Gregg and I swapped it out in about an hour maybe a tad less. Went straight in, no wrestling the carc etc.

Good call.

Now that is what i like to hear :-)
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:46 am

Didn't see a definitive answer to question 2; whether Stelvio spring rate is different to GRiSO ??. It certainly looks like it has more travel so could take a lighter spring rate before bottoming out.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:05 am

Paul, with a little bit of investigation, the standard GRiSO spring rate is 9.0kg/mm and the stelvio 11.0kg/mm. From reading the comments on this forum, 11.0kg seems to be a good start.
Back to top Go down
rudolf35
Carlotto
Carlotto
rudolf35

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:32 am

It is a bit late, the Hyperpro spring is underway, but anyone install one on a GRiSO? Per Hyperpro the rate for there progressive spring is 10.7Kg/mm - 16.8Kg/mm. With my 220lbs I am at the limit of the stock 9.6Kg/mm spring so right off the beginning rate of the Hyperpro is better.
FYI, my GRiSO is used as a mild touring bike so track performance is not my goal, just a nice non-bottoming out ride.

Back to top Go down
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:38 pm

I went from a 9.6kg/mm to a 11.7kg/mm on my 2010 8V SE for 220-225lbs but did have the shock reshimmed and 5W oil. Not progressive though so don't know if that helps.

Scratching my head with Matris (like some others) at the moment, they sent me (and insist it is correct) a 13.7kg/mm for my Norge 2 up. Is very stiff 1up or 2up. Likely going to try the 12.7kg/mm.
Back to top Go down
rudolf35
Carlotto
Carlotto
rudolf35

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:09 pm

Any info is good! But never the less, it is on the way and worst case, I get to lube the swing area and linkage bearings.
Back to top Go down

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:24 pm

ecs, I think the idea is to have a hydraulic pre-load adjuster on your shock.
Chose a spring based on the ratio of one up : two up riding.
ie. for predominant single riding, it should feel just a little firm with the pre-load wound off. Then for two up crank up the pre-load and a little bit extra compression damping.

I have a spare 12kg Matris spring that I'll never need, free to a good home .......................... + shipping.
I have a spare 11kg spring that I may need if I get any fatter, I could be persuaded to sell it.

Last edited by ghezzi on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stelvio Shock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stelvio Shock   Stelvio Shock Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Stelvio Shock
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next