GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Hi from Wales

Go down 
+8
sidrat
anguscameron1966
Papa Lazarou
Street
Pete Roper
beetle
Clancy
RIKBRIANT
12 posters
AuthorMessage
RIKBRIANT
Carlotto
Carlotto
RIKBRIANT

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi all,

New GRiSO owner from West Wales NR Aberystwyth.

This is my 4th Guzzi,... so I really should know better by now Very Happy

I came to guzzi ownership via a T3 Cali in the mid '80s followed by a Cali 2 and LM3.

I have always prefered the styling of the older 2V models, but there was just "somthing" about the GRiSO that kept nagging at the back of my brain, to cut a long story short,.... I was recently made redundant and found myself with more cash than sense ... hence my hasty purchase of a 9 yr old sub 4000 mile 2008 GRiSO 1200 8V.

The first owner had it serviced and stamped up...

The second owner was a bit of a knob and kept it in a garage managing to rack up a mahusive 2600 miles in 5 years.

Que me...
First impressions...
Absolutely nothing like any other Guzzi Ive ever ridden, sharp handling, instant throttle response and hooligan inducing waves of power... Shocked

however...
once warmed up it sounds like someone has chucked a couple of hammers into a cement mixer which prompted me to look at the cam followers... both inlet followers and cams show wear marks and the left cam was so tight in the bearings that it required lots of force to turn it.
I'm hoping that I can get it roller-ised without too much hassle, it would be nice if Piagio donated the cam boxes to me,... bearing in mind that the engine has done less than 4000 miles im shocked at the amount of noise and wear to the top end, surely the components are not fit for purpose and show poor workmanship...?

So to sum up... am I pleased... hell yes,... this thing rocks Thumbs Up
Am I pissed off...hell yes the sub standard engineering from the factory blows.. WTF?

RUBBER SIDE DOWN,

RIK
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Welcome!
You've come to be right place to get it sorted.
The experts will chime in shortly.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:53 pm

The flat tappets may not be fit for purpose, but if you're thinking some sort of legal action, save yourself the hassle. It'll get you nowhere.

The good news is you have a service record. Did the 2nd owner have it serviced? If not, that 5 year gap may prove an issue. If you can get a dealer to go to bat for you, you may well get the roller kit gratis. You will still need to pay the labour.

Welcome to the madness!

ghetto

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:26 pm

I'd say it'll probably be difficult to get a kit out of Piaggio. It's a nine year old motorbike with a five year break in its maintenance records. Look, try by all means but if someone bought something off you and you clearly instructed them how it should be treated then they reappeared nine years later complaining it was broken but with no record of how it had been looked after you'd probably think that a bit unreasonable too!

As it is even if you have to do it yourself the cost isn't astronomical. Buy a 'B' kit and the extra bits needed to make it into a 'C' kit or go the route outlined in my post in the technical section on best options for rollerisation. Make sure you give the sump a good clean out after the rollerisation and you'll be pretty much certain of a good outcome.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I recently assembled all the other guff needed for Klaas to rollerise his shitheap and I think that it all came to about $320AU including postage so if you do the job yourself you should still get out of it for under a grand in UK£. Yes, it sucks. You're not Robinson Cruesoe on this though and it's much better to just roll yer sleeves up and get stuck in than bemoaning the situation because that won't get you anywhere.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Welcome, Rik. The sages have spoken.

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 am

Welcome Rik. I come from near Aber.

THERE WAS A GRiSO that belonged to the ST David's MCC.
Back to top Go down
anguscameron1966
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
anguscameron1966

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:58 am

Welcome Rik,

Recently had my bike rollerised, so much improved for it. Smile

As far as warranty parts - I had a two year gap in the service record and got the parts free - if you don't ask you don't get. You just never know.

It did take almost 6 months from first raising the claim at a dealer to having the work done. Three months of which were down to "complications caused by a new online system the dealers use" or so I was told.

Good luck and enjoy Smile

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:02 am

anguscameron1966 wrote:
Welcome Rik,

Recently had my bike rollerised, so much improved for it.  Smile

As far as warranty parts - I had a two year gap in the service record and got the parts free - if you don't ask you don't get.  You just never know.

It did take almost 6 months from first raising the claim at a dealer to having the work done. Three months of which were down to "complications caused by a new online system the dealers use" or so I was told.

Good luck and enjoy Smile

Oh look! A fucking unicorn! What a crock of shit!
Back to top Go down
RIKBRIANT
Carlotto
Carlotto
RIKBRIANT

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:44 am

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies.
I have already sent a letter and accompanying photos of my woes to Fowlers of Bristol.
The warranty chap there said there might be a chance of a warranty issue on the cam boxes.
Thanks Pete for the link, I had been searching the interwebs for just such a beast...

If Fowlers say its a no go I will of course just roll up my sleeves and get on with it, the bike is just too good to ignore a fault of this magnitude.

RUBBER SIDE DOWN,

RIK
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:45 pm

welcome Rik, this is the rollerised centre of the universe.

As you have seen, now you have ridden the bike, they are well worth saving

You live at the end of one of my favourite routes, we try and ride it once a year the A44 that is, its a nice round 500 mile trip from here and home again. I will let you know when we are due to run that way again and maybe hookup, you probably know some other great roads in the area.

Get on with fixing your bike, ask lots of questions everyone is happy to help

Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:08 am

Welcome to the forum, Rik...keep us posted on your rollerization project.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:13 am

Welcome to the ghetto

Even if you have to chuck a few more Pounds at it, and get your hands a little dirty in the process, there is help here to get your GRiSO well sorted.

Best of luck, and enjoy that GRiSO!

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:00 pm

G'day Rik
Welcome from us under down under in Tasmania
Enjoy the great GRiSO
Stay safe
Back to top Go down
RIKBRIANT
Carlotto
Carlotto
RIKBRIANT

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:29 pm

Yay...
Had a phone call from Fowlers today... warranty claim has gone in.. just waiting to see if Piagio
take it up.. or blow it out..
Fingers crossed Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
RIKBRIANT
Carlotto
Carlotto
RIKBRIANT

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:41 pm

sidrat wrote:

You live at the end of one of my favourite routes, we try and ride it once a year the A44 that is, its a nice round 500 mile trip from here and home again. I will let you know when we are due to run that way again and maybe hookup, you probably know some other great roads in the area.

A44 is indeed a fab road SIDRAT , apparently the Aberystwyth to Llangurig stretch is "The Most Dangerous Road in Wales" lol... only if you're a knob and got your license from a cereal packet.... !

You should also try the A470 to Builth Wells from Rhyader - A483 to Llandovery where there is The owls Nest cafe and the West End Cafe , both of which cater for Bikers.
The Owls Nest is , however , devoid of Power Rangers... which makes it a better bet in my book.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:26 pm

The A470 is a beauty. Mind you, I did crash rather badly near Llandovery in 1980.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:19 am

RIKBRIANT wrote:
sidrat wrote:

A44 is indeed a fab road SIDRAT , apparently the Aberystwyth to Llangurig stretch is "The Most Dangerous Road in Wales" lol... only if you're a knob and got your license from a cereal packet.... !

You should also try the A470 to Builth Wells from Rhyader - A483 to Llandovery where there is The owls Nest cafe and the West End Cafe , both of which cater for Bikers.
The Owls Nest is , however , devoid of Power Rangers... which makes it a better bet in my book.

All those roads are now on my list!!
Back to top Go down
RIKBRIANT
Carlotto
Carlotto
RIKBRIANT

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:56 am

Good news.....!! bounce

Fowlers came up trumps on a C kit , which was delivered mid week. cheers
I have just come back from a 25 mile "shake down" ride following rollerisation, and what a difference the roller tappets make to the sound of the engine...!

No more horrid knocking noises, and I'm now happy that the DLC isn't coming off and trashing my bearings.

Ive got a "Beetle Map" to go in when my Arrow pipe turns up next week.

All in all its taken from the end of July 'til now (3 months) to get a warranty re-opened on a 9 yr old bike and  for Piaggio  to honour the claim.

Of course none of this would have been necessary if they had just "spec-ed" the engine correctly in the first place.

Happy bunny  Thumbs Up  

RIK

Last edited by RIKBRIANT on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:15 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Good grief.

When I next come home, we should meet.
Back to top Go down
RIKBRIANT
Carlotto
Carlotto
RIKBRIANT

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Papa Lazarou wrote:
Good grief.

When I next come home, we should meet.

The kettle is always on mate.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:16 pm

Fucking A!!!
At least Piaggio still honor the roller kit after all these years.
Welcome to the nut house Sir...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi from  Wales Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Wales   Hi from  Wales Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Hi from Wales
Page 1 of 1