GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Hello from "thekiwiguy"!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
thekiwiguy
Carlotto
Carlotto
thekiwiguy

Hello from "thekiwiguy"!  Empty
PostSubject: Hello from "thekiwiguy"!    Hello from "thekiwiguy"!  Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:54 am

Hey everyone! My name is Angus. I have been living the States for 12 years, and am originally from NZ. I have been riding for 23 years (give or take!) and currently have V11 Le Mans (2004), Triumph Sprint GT, Triumph Thruxton, and am THIS CLOSE to buying a new GRiSO! This weekend i plan to test ride one for an entire day. I am trying to decide if it could potentially be a decent touring bike, and replace my Sprint, or if i will need to break my "only 3 bikes allowed" in the stable rule and keep both! I love the look of the GRiSO without being fully loaded with gear, and i shudder at the thought of a center stand on it! Smile Anyway, i hope to meet you all soon, and will keep you all in the loop on my decision!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Hello from "thekiwiguy"!    Hello from "thekiwiguy"!  Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Welcome Angus!  Well, the GRiSO IS my touring bike, so it can be done.  Some people find the stock saddle very comfortable (myself included) and others have found nirvana with reshaped saddles.  I've traveled with two different luggage systems.  Firstly the Ventura system (from your native New Zealand) which works very well when traveling 1-up and the mounts come off the bike in just a few minutes.  Right now I am trying the Hepco Becker/Krauser C-Bow pannier mounts with their "Street" semi-rigid, soft bags.  These bags don't hold as much gear as the Ventura bag, but it does allow for a passenger and the mounts don't detract from the GRiSO's good looks when left on the bike.

Here are some photos of both setups.

Ventura
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And the C-Bow system:

And without the panniers:

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
GNORTS
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
GNORTS

PostSubject: Re: Hello from "thekiwiguy"!    Hello from "thekiwiguy"!  Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Hey Angus!  Good to see you here!

FYI all, Angus and I used to live in the same building on Pike Street.  He's still there, I've moved aboard the boat.  Angus has owned more motorcycles than I can count in the ten or so years I've known him.  He's a true contributor to the industry!  Long distance rider too - I know he's been on some long trips on some of the multitude of bikes he's had.  

A GRiSO is Next, Angus!  I've done 400 mile days on mine too, and I've had no problems.  I've got the first-generation Guzzi accessory panniers, the tailrack and tailbag, and the tank bag left over from my Stone - I made it fit!  I also have the Givi bikini fairing like on Steak's pushrod bikes, and it provides "enough" protection.  I've mounted a small (way obsolete) Garmin Quest GPS behind the fairing - anything else would be too big.

Angus, you should try to make it to the Deep Forest campout!  I've missed it the last couple of years, and hope to get there this year.  Even if you don't spring for the GRiSO by then, you're sure welcome on the LeMans!
Back to top Go down
thekiwiguy
Carlotto
Carlotto
thekiwiguy

PostSubject: Re: Hello from "thekiwiguy"!    Hello from "thekiwiguy"!  Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Thx for the tips guys! Great to be here, and John, yes, i am true A.D.D biker! Smile I really love the naked GRiSO look, and might just have to have her in my stable as just that...a blazing lil street fighter and canyons day tripper! My Sprint it totally setup for touring, and i do like her :-) John, you know i can squeeze a 4th bike in my space! I bought a motorcycle Dolly to help! Smile LOL
Back to top Go down
thekiwiguy
Carlotto
Carlotto
thekiwiguy

PostSubject: Re: Hello from "thekiwiguy"!    Hello from "thekiwiguy"!  Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Oh btw, Steak, i like the C-Bow system! Looks much cleaner than the Guzzi system. Where did you purchase from? How much? and is it easy to install? thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Hello from "thekiwiguy"!    Hello from "thekiwiguy"!  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:43 am

Angus, I bought mine from here:  Adventure Moto Stuff (Carson City, NV) for about $185 for the mounts, but it looks like they may be out of stock at the moment.  Just do a search on C-Bow and GRiSO and you can find vendors.  Mounting to the bike is very simple, just four bolts under the tail section.

The bags are by Hepco Becker or Krauser, the model is Street.  23 Litres of storage.  Again, just search for "Hepco Becker Street" or "Krauser Street" for vendors.  The cost is about another $190.  Here for example.

So, about $380 total for the mounts and the bags.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Back to top Go down
thekiwiguy
Carlotto
Carlotto
thekiwiguy

PostSubject: Re: Hello from "thekiwiguy"!    Hello from "thekiwiguy"!  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:52 am

Sweet! thx Steak.. I'll give you guys a ride report after the weekend!
Back to top Go down
stsarah
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
stsarah

PostSubject: Re: Hello from "thekiwiguy"!    Hello from "thekiwiguy"!  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi Angus, thanks for the invite to the GrisoGhetto forums. Smile

Can't wait for your ride report!

Oh, and, put me in the corner with the people who do NOT find the stock seat comfy... but I make a poor example, as my pelvis is held together with aftermarket titanium bolt-on hardware. I made my seat tolerable for ~100 miles at a time by adding an AlaskaLeather sheepskin butt pad. Plush and comfy for this cotton-butt girl. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.motointernational.com
GNORTS
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
GNORTS

PostSubject: Re: Hello from "thekiwiguy"!    Hello from "thekiwiguy"!  Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:17 am

Hey stsarah, welcome!

One referral begets another - I told Angus about this forum, and he tells you!  Cool!  I see you ride one of the "old" pushrod 1100 GRiSO's.  Moi aussi.  I recently sold my ST1300, which had a 2-piece Alaska Sheepskin set - I kept the pillion piece because it fits the GRiSO perfectly!  I'm OK with the stock seat, but I use the sheepskin on longer trips, and it's great in hot weather!

Keep the shiny side up!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Hello from "thekiwiguy"!    Hello from "thekiwiguy"!  Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Angus, I moved your last post over the the GRiSO Experience (Ride Reports) section.

Congratulations on your new GRiSO!!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from "thekiwiguy"!    Hello from "thekiwiguy"!  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Hello from "thekiwiguy"!
Page 1 of 1