GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Got Matris!

Go down 
+8
Scot p
keenerkeen07
pauldaytona
Pete Roper
gronk954
Ralf z
Uzidzit
beetle
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:08 am

No more kidney rattling!

This shock is so much better than the stock it's not funny. It was ordered with the remote pre-load, but they sent the standard unit. Not a big deal,  I always ride solo, so once I set it up I shouldn't need to adjust it again.

The ride is more pliant, but still rock-steady, and I have deliberately sought out the bumps to test it out.

Here's a pic, complete with Bungendore mud.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:35 am

Matris does build nice, they tend to under spring just a tad but in Italy the roads must be uber smooth...get a shock sock on that thing asap and a hugger or it will not last long.  with that level of debris hitting the shaft.

not preaching.. just a bummer to have to do a rebuild from dirt on the shock shaft causing a leak.....just a pity to cover up such a pretty piece of kit

I was like install the matris r on the stelvio ride around block then cover it with an ugly shock sock Neutral 

Never had to fix leakers though since I started using them

Kind of neat looks like you have the same sticky stain everything red clay there we got in east TN

Last edited by Uzidzit on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Ralf z

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Very nice mark... Thumbs Up 
Back to top Go down
gronk954
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
gronk954

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:26 am

All very reassuring! Just been to pick up my new Matris 'K'shock (for GRiSO SE) this very morning from PDQ (in UK).

Although we've had nearly a whole week of sunshine, I looked at how shiny it was and bought shock sock on the spot.

Now just the small matter of fitment.  Was yours straightforward?

Also, apologies this is first post. Have been lurking for a while now, having followed Mr Roper's posts here.  Great forum!

Last edited by gronk954 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:11 am

To get the old shock out you need to remove the left hand footrest hanger plate, I can't remember if I removed the right hand one or not? The way I do/did it is to tie the front of the bike down so it sits vertical on the bench. I then have a 'Lifting platform' with a piece of wood on top that works like a scissor jack that goes under the sump which I can wind up to lift the weight off the back wheel. The bike is stabilised by the tie-downs at the front. The linkage bolts can then be removed followed by the footrest hangar plate bolts and the top shock mounting bolt and the unit riddled out up and to the left.

The thing is if you haven't yet greased your swingarm bearings and shock linkage bearings now is the ideal time to do it and it is highly unlikely they were done properly at the factory. Obviously this requires removal of the swingarm but this is really no big deal. On Mark's bike we didn't need to as I'd already done this at a previous service.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:15 am

gronk954 wrote:
All very reassuring! Just been to pick up my new Matris 'K'shock (for GRiSO SE) this very morning from PDQ (in UK).

Although we've had nearly a whole week of sunshine, I looked at how shiny it was and bought shock sock on the spot.

Now just the small matter of figment.  Was yours straightforward?

Also, apologies this is first post. Have been lurking for a while now, having followed Mr Roper's posts here.  Great forum!

two choices remove the left peg plate (the service stand will not work here, sling from the rear subframe to the rafters)
or
just take out the air box with it on the service stand (really this takes less time than slinging about 30 min to take out and put back in once you have done it once) this way is BY FAR THE BETTER as you have full access to all the fasteners easily
Back to top Go down
gronk954
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
gronk954

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks both; think I'll bite the bullet and (re)grease the swing arm while it's on the ramp (and suitably trussed up).  Had been dithering as it was a demo bike back in the day, but I guess this is no guarantee that it will have been picked up at PDI.  

Let's just hope that, if they are dry, they're still okay after 19,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:36 am

can't you take it out to the bottom? I could with the stelvio. Nothing dismounted. And why a sock when the rubber would work too.

this works much better than any hugger:

Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:55 pm

[quote="pauldaytona"]can't you take it out to the bottom? I could with the stelvio. Nothing dismounted. And why a sock when the rubber would work too.

this works much better than any hugger:

I run your rubber on my stelvio (you had posted the dwg somewhere),  BUT it does not keep stuff out of the rebound adjuster on an aftermarket shock at all, and does not keep the shock shaft clean if you are in muddy dirty places.  and that is the critical spot to keep the shock from being damaged. (the hugger doesn"t either but the shock sock does)

The rubber flap is the bomb for keeping the top end of the shock clean  (really important with the matris r off road) and any shock with the collar pre-load adj....but is is kind of "cosmetically impaired" for the GRiSO Laughing

Are you sure This shock was removed from the bottom on the Stella???? My ntx absolutely will not come out the bottom, unless the swing arm is off. Maybe a difference in model years.
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:14 pm

yes I removed it from the bottom. Just take the know of the adjuster, then it goes though the swingarm.

The rubber has been used in the dessert, allong with others who had a hugger, the hugger was useless.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:35 pm

I'd worried about the shock overheating with a 'Sock' on it? I've never used one and simply have a hugger, (Which I am far from in love with!) on my bike. If you reckon a sock is the way to go I'll probably get one, (Source? I think someone did list one but I can't remember where.) and ditch the Hugger which I think is ugly anyway.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:22 pm

I was going to go with a flap. I don't want to completely hide the orange spring (it matches my car and my GSX750), and I will never fit a hugger. Can I get an orange sock?

The mud in the pics is rare as I don't usually ride in the wet. In fact, the only time the stock shock ever got wet was when I washed the bike.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
gronk954
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
gronk954

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:34 pm

My sock is supplied by R&G; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Think the spring measured about 7 1/2 " so we went for an 8" version (11.5" circumference).

Must confess, I hadn't thought about it's impact on cooling of the shock until you mentioned it. On the one hand, it must insulate much better than having the coil exposed to the elements. On the other, it only covers the spring (the gas reservoir etc. are still exposed to the air). Also, the blurb says it is vented, so hopefully some air flow past the exposed shaft etc.

I'd be worried if I lived in a warm clime. Fortunately, I don't. Very Happy

Also, I had assumed that you'd need to put it on the shock before it goes on the bike, but its a open sleeve which closes via velcro, so it's a relatively simple task to take it off if it does have an impact.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:51 pm

Well I just had a poke about on ebay and Traxxiondynamics have a similar item for about $20 each so I ordered a couple, one for me and one for Mark if he wants it. Should be here in a week or so.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks Pete.

Thumbs Up 

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Saves $25 on shipping. That's five beers!
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:30 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Well I just had a poke about on ebay and Traxxiondynamics have a similar item for about $20 each so I ordered a couple, one for me and one for Mark if he wants it. Should be here in a week or so.

Pete

Been using them for years now not the fanciest thing but I have not had a blown seal in a long time.. the big thing is it takes little to foul the style of rebound adjuster that Penske, Matris, Ohlins, Mupo etc use. The stocker is better in layout in this respect (the side screw rebound adjuster).

And it can be rebuilt to be excellent (the sachs is hell for stout), you just have to know their stuff to do it...and they really do not want to sell anything to anybody outside of oems...which is too bad. at least that is the NA situation

Make sure to wrap the sock below the rebound adjuster not above, Thumbs Up 

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Thanks, will do.

Pete
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:11 am

good day ...thinking hard about getting a Matris shock for my 1100 GRiSO
Wondering if some one can suggest the best source for them ...?
Shipping to Canada .........
Any alternate shock ideas would be appreciated as well
thank you
Keener
Back to top Go down
Scot p
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Scot p

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:33 pm

beetle wrote:
I was going to go with a flap. I don't want to completely hide the orange spring (it matches my car and my GSX750), and I will never fit a hugger. Can I get an orange sock?

The mud in the pics is rare as I don't usually ride in the wet. In fact, the only time the stock shock ever got wet was when I washed the bike.

Your strange religion worked for me , I quite like your skidmarkz hugger, even if it is a bit of a resonator for bad roads and guzzi transmission ..

cya
Scot.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:14 pm

I ended up with a black sock. Works a treat and no bloody hugger. I'm pleased it works for you Scot.

Keener, try AF1. Shocky Clicky

When ordering, tell them you weigh less than you do, otherwise spring will be too stiff.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:51 am

beetle wrote:
I ended up with a black sock. Works a treat and no bloody hugger. I'm pleased it works for you Scot.

Keener, try AF1.  Shocky Clicky

When ordering, tell them you weigh less than you do, otherwise spring will be too stiff.

MANY THANKS I will weigh 25lbs less Smile
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:37 am

ordered and on the way via AF1 ..... cheers
Back to top Go down

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Oops! Too late for me to post now I fear Keen.
Bought my Matris off Makarushka (on GT). He claimed to be about 235lb, I'm about 220lb in battle dress. The shock came with a 12kg spring, way to hard for my solo riding. So if you weigh the same as me and rarely never carry a pillion I would advise an 11kg spring as a maximum for a 100kg rider.
The ride is still firm but it is very compliant, and the bigger the bumps the better it gets compared to the stock Sachs shock.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:01 pm

ghezzi wrote:
Oops! Too late for me to post now I fear Keen.
Bought my Matris off Makarushka (on GT). He claimed to be about 235lb, I'm about 220lb in battle dress. The shock came with a 12kg spring, way to hard for my solo riding. So if you weigh the same as me and rarely never carry a pillion I would advise an 11kg spring as a maximum for a 100kg rider.
The ride is still firm but it is very compliant, and the bigger the bumps the better it gets compared to the stock Sachs shock.

thanks Ghezzi
i am the same weight as you aprox and ordered a spring for a 215 lbs so it should be a 11kg spring Basketball
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Got Matris! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Got Matris!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next