12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

First oil change

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:15 pm

No, not 'Snarky', just worried.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Uzidzit wrote:
.............ps any bmw car dealer has 10w-60 full syn in a pinch   volkswagen and audi dealers too  it is speced for their turbo cars

Not SG rated... I wouldn't put that stuff in motorcycles.
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:31 pm

See it has turned into a fucking oil thread  where the fuck is the moderator to kill this now Viva la Fiesta

an oil thread I tell you affraid 

Ps I actually spec very specialized lubricants in my real job and you might be surprised as to how much goes into what we pick and why...oddly and it is pretty scarey for me their may be only 1 product suitable period from 1 maker, when you pick one of those you can bet a few years later there will be an ECO and project to find a compatible replacement and months to do the verification and validation on the replacement.
Back to top Go down
TalkingGriso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:59 pm

Canyon Carver wrote:
Just had my oil changed at Guzzi-Tech and he said 20-50 Royal Purple was fine. I'm taking his word for it.

That's curious. Do you have an 8V?
Back to top Go down
Chriso
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:19 am

Just filled mine with Eni iRide 4T 10W-60 - whatever you do, don't fill more than 3.0 liter. The books says 3.5 liter, but that is way too much. 3.0 liter puts the mark on the dip-stick slightly above the middle between the min/max marks. - don't check the oil with the dip-stick screwed in.. 3.2 liter will put you right to the max mark..
Back to top Go down
http://prolistingmedia.com
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:20 am

I filled mine with the dipstick all the way in.
And I just checked it again yesterday with the dipstick resting on the threads and it is still a wee bit over full.  affraid 

back to the garage.....
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Don't run it at the full mark unless you want to risk a lot of oil in the airbox, gummed up TB's and a sticky stepper motor!

Pete
Back to top Go down
DangWangi
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:02 am

Chriso wrote:
Just filled mine with Eni iRide 4T 10W-60 -  whatever you do, don't fill more than 3.0 liter. The books says 3.5 liter, but that is way too much. 3.0 liter puts the mark on the dip-stick slightly above the middle between the min/max marks. - don't check the oil with the dip-stick screwed in.. 3.2 liter will put you right to the max mark..

Getting ready to do my oil change...so is that 3.0L in total (filter & engine fill-up) or 3.0L for engine, plus the additional oil for filling the new filter for install? This is will be my first oil change on the GRiSO and the fist time I've ever heard of pre-filling the filter before installing it so I want to be sure I do things right. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:41 am

Buy 4 liters (or quarts), fill the oil filter before installing. Fill with the remainder of the first liter, add two more liters, then fill up to mid-dipstick with the final liter.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:43 pm

The purpose of pre-filling the filter is to minimise the time the bearings run *Dry* after the filter is changed. Delivery goes from the sump to the oil pump/s, thence to the filter and finally on past the OPRV to the bearings. If the filter isn't pre filled it increases the time that the engine runs without oil delivery as the filter has to be filled before oil starts being delivered to the bearings. No, it isn't long, (You can usually hear a slight change in engine pitch as the bearings start wedging.) but things happen very fast inside a motor.

Without oil bearing damage begins immediately. It's not an *instant* failure but the damage is cumulative. 90% of all wear in a plain bearing engine happens during the time it takes to reach full operating temperature and 90% of that occurs during the first five seconds after the crank starts spinning. That's the reason it's a very good idea to pre fill filters if possible and a really bad idea to rev the shit out of an engine before its properly warmed up!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Peaceman
Tanabuso
Tanabuso

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:15 pm

For canucks looking for oils, I get the Motul 10/60 and the Motul Gear 300 from canadasmotorcycle.ca
Sometimes they have deals and shipping is only a couple days all the way to northeen bc from Quebec.

I use the gear 300 in the tranny and Carc and bike seems happy...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   Today at 12:08 pm

Back to top Go down

First oil change
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: