GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Swingarm bearings

Go down 
AuthorMessage
gronk954
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
gronk954

Swingarm bearings  Empty
PostSubject: Swingarm bearings    Swingarm bearings  Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:31 am

In an earlier post, I asked for advice on removing the conical swingarm races which are pressed into the frame.  My intent was to cut through each race with a dremel and then gently tap it out.

However, I soon changed my mind when I realised how slowly I was cutting through the race, and how much quicker I would likely cut into the frame...  As Harry Callahan put it; "A man's got to know his limitations"

Anyhow, Pete pointed out that there are two recesses behind the rear face of the bearing;  After a surprising amount of searching, I found a 2 arm puller on t'internet for a reasonable price; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I used an Allen key across the front face of the bearing cavity to react the puller against, and drew the bearing as far as said front face.  It took a bit of patience setting it up, but once there was tension on the arms, it was very straightforward.

In an ideal world, I'd fashion something which allowed me to continue pulling the race, but with the improved access, it was relatively painless to tap it out via the back face from this point.  I found it easiest to get at the back face using a thin long drift improvised from a length of hex mild steel (about 50cm long and 1cm in diameter).

PS I don't think I'm the only person with duff bearings; no one in the UK seems to have them in stock, and quite a few places have them on back-order for other people.

Paul
Back to top Go down

Swingarm bearings
Page 1 of 1