GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Exhaust air leak?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Exhaust air leak? Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust air leak?   Exhaust air leak? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:26 pm

Maybe I should get my own sticky titled "the incompetent mechanic" or something similar which contains all my questions Rolling Eyes

Anyhow this is the latest: so my exhaust gasket had disintegrated causing a large gap between the muffler and the tube. So I ordered a new gasket, installed it today. All well, I tightened the tightening band (sorry don't know the english word for it) almost to the max after reading some stuff about it getting loose on these forums, all well.

So I started it, bike starts and runs fine, idle is okey, sound is as it should be. All well.

The problem is, when I block the two small muffler exhaust ports, then start the bike...it starts up just fine. Sure it coughs a little and sounds muffled, but it starts and idles. So I checked the whole exhaust system for cracks or loose connections expelling gas, but couldn't find anything. Removing the block resulted in a bit of white smoke being expelled from the exhaust for a second or 3. Anything obvious I should check other than the exhaust headers, the T-connection and the muffler itself?

Or does the gigantic muffler contain so much empty space that it actually counts as the outside air and allows the bike to start and run on that alone? Very Happy

And for the next episode of 'the incompetent mechanic', the dealer finally got back to me on the tappet warranty kit claim. They need one more picture:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now I've been looking all over my bike, but as far as I can tell that area of the cylinder I need to photograph is actually on the inside of the bike correct? How on earth am I supposed to make a picture of that??
Back to top Go down
nblades
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
nblades

Exhaust air leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust air leak?   Exhaust air leak? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:33 pm

I'm not sure what to tell you about the exhaust air leak, but this is a picture of my bike during rollerisation, and with the tank off you can see the marks on the heads.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Exhaust air leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust air leak?   Exhaust air leak? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:55 pm

nblades wrote:
I'm not sure what to tell you about the exhaust air leak, but this is a picture of my bike during rollerisation, and with the tank off you can see the marks on the heads.

This. Just take the tank off and all will be revealed.

Pete
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Exhaust air leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust air leak?   Exhaust air leak? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:22 pm

Thanks for that picture nblades. Not so thrilled about having to remove the entire tank just for a picture, but oh well.
Back to top Go down
nblades
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
nblades

Exhaust air leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust air leak?   Exhaust air leak? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:54 pm

motor-timothy wrote:
Thanks for that picture nblades. Not so thrilled about having to remove the entire tank just for a picture, but oh well.
Your welcome. You'll need to remove the tank for rollerisation anyway. Read up on removing the pressure fuel line before you do it. The little red elbow on the fuel pump, is easily broken. If you do it correctly it's simple. Just search on this forum, you'll find it. The tank removal is only a 20 minute process.
Have fun! Regards, Norm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Exhaust air leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust air leak?   Exhaust air leak? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Exhaust air leak?
Page 1 of 1