GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Home Built Shop Stand

Go down 
+6
Grisonut
cognosticator
Nobleswood
sidrat
Street
Kiwi_Roy
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Home Built Shop Stand Empty
PostSubject: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:28 am

I thought I would move this to it's own thread.
I was asked "What's the purpose of the hole through the frame?, so I had to come up with an answer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Preview
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Dimensions, 1/2" pipe is 13/16" OD
The plates are made from regular 6 x 2 lumber, I tried 3/4" ply but it's no where near as solid.

Right Side Lifting Plate Attached - I have Knight Design lowered pegs but the plate will work with originals.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Left Side Lifting Plate Attached

Then it's simply a matter of lifting by the left bar and under the seat standing the bike up on the right hand side plate.
at the same time slipping the 3" block under the left side plate with your foot to bring them even.
The back wheel is about 1/2" from the ground and it's very stable

If the intention is to remove the swing-arm for greasing the Left hand side foot-peg plate is removed first, this gives access to the swing-arm pivot bolt and the two pinch bolts that lock it in place, these are behind the round cover you see.

To bring it down again deploy the side stand, tilt the bike over to the right, kick the block out, then lower back onto the side stand.

Last edited by Kiwi_Roy on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:46 am; edited 14 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:28 am

reserved

Last edited by Kiwi_Roy on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Good, simple solution, Roy. Mine uses the mystery hole too, but requires a little more equipment.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Where there's a wheel, there's a way!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:45 pm

X-E Lent

You must be a rigger, I would have it standing on it's nose

I like your muffler, is there just the one?

I enjoyed looking at your work [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Kiwi_Roy on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:41 pm

I like your solution Roay, but not sure i could put up with those large bits of wood attached to my bike all the time :-p
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
X-E Lent

You must be a rigger, I would have it standing on it's nose

I like your muffler, is there just the one?

Just the one, that's a Mistral High variety. Re: rigger, a sculptor actually, which often requires mad rigging skills. It's one of my hobbies, in fact, trying to figure out how to pick up heavy shit without breaking it, upending it, or getting anyone hurt. I always employ the "Olé Principle" which states: "If that motherfucker lets loose, just throw up your hands and say Olé!"

Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Street,
What have you created over the pillion seat ?
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:46 am

sidrat wrote:
I like your solution Roy, but not sure i could put up with those large bits of wood attached to my bike all the time :-p
So what do you use to remove the rear swing arm pray tell.

I actually find it so nice to work on a vertical bike I use it all the time.

It goes on and comes off in seconds without tools.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:24 am

Nobleswood wrote:
Street,
What have you created over the pillion seat ?

That's a rack I made to strap gear on without touching the seat or any bodywork. It worked great, but I don't have that bike anymore and have decided not to replicate it on my current GRiSO.

Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:35 pm

That makes sense now
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:49 am

Thanks for the information,I think I will build one of these
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:19 pm

You don't need special equipment...
-A solid rod going through the frame hole long enough to stick out at about a foot on each side (Home Depot)
-2 jack stand (tall ones)
-A floor jack

Thank God for the see through hole in that frame...
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:39 am

Grisonut wrote:
-A solid rod going through the frame hole long enough to stick out at about a foot on each side (Home Depot)
-A floor jack

Wouldn't that be a little expensive if you could even find jack stands that tall?
The length of 6x2 was less than $5, the first attempt used 3/4" plywood but it felt a bit bendy.
Instead of 3/4" solid rod I used 1/2" pipe which is just over 3/4" OD, 1/2" rigid conduit (Nth America) is the same dimension, I had to ease the hole a little with a rat-tail file, the lifting plates are drilled 3/4 clearance to take the pipe.
The ready-rod is not really essential but helps to hold everything together until the weight is on it 1/4" with some fender washers would do.
I assume the floor jack is to lift the front wheel off if you need it.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:23 am

Just one caveat... On the 1100s, the "zephyr window" has radial support spars that allow a rod to be used without damaging the chromed, plastic, sphincters on the lamb chops. Those internal spars don't exist on the 8V models and lifting with an unsupported rod will shatter your shiny sphincters...

(How's that for alliteration?)

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 am

Steak wrote:
an unsupported rod will shatter your shiny sphincters...
That's good to know

Does the Stelvio have the same hole through the frame?
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:35 am

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
Steak wrote:
an unsupported rod will shatter your shiny sphincters...
That's good to know

Does the Stelvio have the same hole through the frame?

The Stelvio has a smaller hole, at least the 2013 did.  Here is a picture you can zoom in on

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Well looking at the right side that hole doesn't go all the way through. At least it had a centerstand
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:49 am

The Stelvio and Bellagio have cosmetic doodads that cover the holes. I'm pretty sure they're the same cylindrical frame piece as the GRiSO.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 am

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
Grisonut wrote:
-A floor jack

Wouldn't that be a little expensive if you could even find jack stands that tall?
The length of 6x2 was less than $5, the first attempt used 3/4" plywood but it felt a bit bendy.
Instead of 3/4" solid rod I used 1/2" pipe which is just over 3/4" OD, 1/2" rigid conduit (Nth America) is the same dimension, I had to ease the hole a little with a rat-tail file, the lifting plates are drilled 3/4 clearance to take the pipe.
The ready-rod is not really essential but helps to hold everything together until the weight is on it 1/4" with some fender washers would do.
I assume the floor jack is to lift the front wheel off if you need it.

Yes the floor jack is to lift the bike under the sump for getting the front wheel of the ground.
As for the rod...I had a couple 3/4 laying around at my shop and I do have plenty of stands as well so I didn't have to buy anything since I already had that sort of equipment. The jack stand I use are the standard 12 ton type that extend to about 30 inches, the shorter 6 ton ones won't do the trick as they don't extend high enough, also not stable at all.
But Steak is right...the early GRiSO had a washer welded inside at the edges of the holes behind the chrome sphincteroo. My 8V 09 had that as well so I could jam my rod up zee sphincter on both bikes (1100 and 1200) Very Happy Very Happy . My 13 didn't have said washer so I welded some on another rod and was able to do the same trick on that bike.
I do have pictures of this somewhere on this Forum...
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:17 pm

I posted this a while back as a solution to the chrome sphincter issue:

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:54 pm

I made a more modest one for the newer bike but Photobucket srewed us all and I can't retrieve those pics.
Will have to find/use another site now...
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:38 am

Thanks for the feedback, great solution to the lack of washers.

Jackstands are great if you have them but how do you lift the bike onto the stand?

I lift mine off the ground without any aids.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:40 am

Kiwi_Roy wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, great solution to the lack of washers.

Jackstands are great if you have them but how do you lift the bike onto the stand?

I lift mine off the ground without any aids.

With the floor jack but if you don't have one you can rock the bike from side to side and raise the stand accordingly...
Pain in the arse but it works.
I figured any man worth his weight in salt should have a floor jack and a couple of stand in the garage, from there spending $10 or less in a 3/4 4 feet long solid bar is a given...
Can't handle that? Don't buy a GRiSO! They're made for manly men. Very Happy

Darmahman likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Grisonut wrote:

I figured any man worth his weight in salt should have a floor jack and a couple of stand in the garage, from there spending $10 or less in a 3/4 4 feet long solid bar is a given...
Can't handle that? Don't buy a GRiSO! They're made for manly men. Very Happy

What are you telling me, Womanly Women need not apply LOL

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Womanly woman is fine indeed, better than a wussy man
My 1100 was actually my wife's bike when we were married. Wink
She event dropped it once and picked it up herself. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Home Built Shop Stand   Home Built Shop Stand Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Home Built Shop Stand
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next