GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Steering head bearings - CARC

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

Steering head bearings - CARC Empty
PostSubject: Steering head bearings - CARC   Steering head bearings - CARC Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi
Has anyone got any advice on what to use to remove the steering head bearing races; there are no cutouts on the headstock to get a puller in there. The manual doesn't list any specific puller like the old T3 manual did.

There is a very slight edge to get on but screwdriver blade edge or prybar can't get quite enough purchase.

cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steering head bearings - CARC   Steering head bearings - CARC Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Knocking the races out of the frame is easy, blade screwdriver and hammer, knock the bottom race out from the top and the top race out from the bottom.

Getting the race off the lower triple clamp is a little harder.
If you have a dremel or small grinder, cut a slot in the race ............. but only part way through as you DO NOT want to cut the triple clamp. Now hit this with a cold chisel and hammer and it should shatter.

Caution: Wear protective glasses and clothing.
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Steering head bearings - CARC   Steering head bearings - CARC Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:09 pm

Sadly thats the way I would normally do that, but can't get the blade scredriver to sit on edge of bearing cup - its too flush to the headstock and not cutouts on headstock either.

Think I may have found a bearing puller but its a bit of outlay (hopefully would do the job) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ; I hope that when expanding it it will pull itself into the opening and create a gap.

thanks for the suggestion though.

Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Steering head bearings - CARC   Steering head bearings - CARC Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:09 am

I made a small tool to knock it out from the other side. It fit in behind and I was able to knock it with a punch through the tube. It looked like this (blue tape was used to mark the exact shape/size from a template). I just used hacksaw and grinder on a piece of steel I had lying around (was actually a flat cheap tool that came with something that needed assembly)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Steering head bearings - CARC   Steering head bearings - CARC Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:52 pm

Any luck getting them out yet?
Back to top Go down
nblades
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
nblades

PostSubject: Re: Steering head bearings - CARC   Steering head bearings - CARC Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:46 pm

We use the expanding internal bearing pullers ( just like BrianD suggested) in aviation. The retractable landing gear run on a brass bearing, that sits in an aluminum housing that can't be damaged. These expandable pullers work great. Sometimes application of heat and or freezing helps too. if all else fails I'd try a dremel, and chisel, but proceed very carefully. Best of luck.

Regards, Norm
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Steering head bearings - CARC   Steering head bearings - CARC Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:29 am

thanks for all the input, I'll let you know how I did when its done - plenty of options to look at.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Steering head bearings - CARC   Steering head bearings - CARC Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:48 am

Look, I haven't said anything but I've not had a problem. Just a very sharp edged drift and a fucking great big hammer. No pussyfooting around! Smite that fucker with the wrath of God!

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steering head bearings - CARC   Steering head bearings - CARC Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:48 pm

FPML
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Steering head bearings - CARC   Steering head bearings - CARC Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi All

Not proud of my workmanship, thinking of opening a butchers shop. All done.
The bearing cup was pretty much same size as the shoulder on the headstock, I did end up getting an internal bearing puller - which should have done the job but didn't (lovely piece of equipment). So for the top cup I welded a bar across the cup and whacked it out, bottom cup ended up having to grind it out.

It appears that the headstock is narrower past the bearing cups at each end, which makes it really diificult to get a drift onto the edge. The replacement roller bearings have the same size shoulder so will have same problem when I come to replce them next time.

Interestingly these bearing were quite well greased unlike the swing arm

Brian
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering head bearings - CARC   Steering head bearings - CARC Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Steering head bearings - CARC
Page 1 of 1