GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Cleaning Combustion Chamber

Go down 
+4
Pete Roper
GuzziSteve
beetle
Patlikestolean
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Patlikestolean
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Patlikestolean

Cleaning Combustion Chamber Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:55 pm

I'm in the process of rollerizing my '09 GRiSO and wondering what is the best way to clean the combustion
chamber in the head while I have it off ( I'm waiting for shims and valve seals to show up).
Doesn't look too dirty, as it only has 4k miles, but it just seems wrong to put a "dirty" part back on,
but I don't want to do more harm than good either.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Don't bother. It's not necessary.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Patlikestolean
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Patlikestolean

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:16 pm

Thanks- I love it when people make life easier! cheers
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:49 pm

If you want to clean up the edges so no carbon interferes w/assembly I just use a bit of carb cleaner and a rag. If it's heavy I have a brass brush.
Back to top Go down
Patlikestolean
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Patlikestolean

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:46 pm

GuzziSteve wrote:
If you want to clean up the edges so no carbon interferes w/assembly I just use a bit of carb cleaner and a rag. If it's heavy I have a brass brush.

That makes sense- I'll give it a go, Thanks
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Really, I wouldn’t bother unless you have huge crusty build ups of carbon on the pistons and if you do, at such a low mileage, you have other problems. With a well tuned 8V there will be light sooting of the decks of the pistons and combustion chamber but if there are major carbon build ups it’s usually a sign of gross over fueling.

Rings having lost their tension or being worn out usually results in the deck being washed clean from the edges,especially on the non thrust side. Too clean a deck is usually a bad rather than a good sign.

Pete
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:01 pm

+1 Pete I would think you could just wipe off mating surfaces so it's oil dry, I'm used to more mileage on them.

Gotta quit posting while drinking.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:10 am

GuzziSteve wrote:
Why?

Everyone else does it - join the club!
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:18 am

elbow grease Very Happy

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:44 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
GuzziSteve wrote:
Why?

Everyone else does it - join the club!

Yea, I know. But I don't like contradicting Pete or Beetle, just professional courtesy you might say.
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:58 am

Caution - do not move the piston when it is parked at TDC with the cylinder head off or the friction between the rings and the bore will lift the cylinder from the base gasket on the upward stroke Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:00 pm

Steve there's a bit of difference between professional courteousness, and at the other end, being a right royal front bottom!

Both Mark and Pete have a sense of humour, which means they also see the funny sides of things and things said in this forum. Of import, it is not the aim to upset anyone else here, but sometimes "foot-in-mouth-disease" will require from the offender some "humble pie" to be eaten.

Hell the Aussie way is to sling dirt at each other, usually in a good humoured way, that is simply how we are. It takes incredible stupidity and/or fair dinkum rudeness to piss people off here. Some have tried and are no longer welcome.

Keep it civil, keep it with a bit of craic. You will be fine.

Always a technical discussion is good, as many parties (those that look on in wonder and say nothing) actually learn something. This is what this site is all about - like minded personalities seeking the best from their GRiSOs (and a few other models as well). We share what we know willingly, so others don't have to resort to the dealer (or in more increasing circumstances, no dealer). Home servicing of Moto Guzzis is not hard, there are ways and easier/harder ways of doing things. Here we sort the wheat from the chaff and we have some most excellent capable heads amongst us to lighten the load for the rest of us mere plebs.

Always feel free to ask questions, answers are given, some guidance also. If no answer is given, there is grey matter involved to try and sort out the response - this just takes some time, sometimes.

Hereth ends thy sermon!

Whose else did I piss off?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:17 pm

I fell asleep reading that, Tony. Sleep

Steve, feel free to contradict me. I often contradict myself....

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:36 pm

beetle wrote:
I fell asleep reading that, Tony. Sleep

Job done!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Very difficult to upset me. Not impossible but pretty difficult. Contradicting me isn’t an issue at all.

Carry on like a whiny Prima Donna and don’t try and help yer Self? Yep. That’ll do it. As will telling me I’m wrong about something I’ve spent years researching when the alternative is something pulled out of your arse while watching reality tv with your sister-wife! Ridiculous statements that defy the laws of physics will also press my buttons quite hard.

Calling me a fuckwit? Not so much as it’s likely true! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Fuckwit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 pm

You will have to stand in line to piss me off. I have customers that have made a career out of it!
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:27 pm

Thanks, I've only had 1 customer I kicked out of my shop in IL. Now back from thread drift. I like things clean w/assembling too.
I was doing a Convert tranny in a hog barn one time and a new customer walks in and was complaining about not wanting his done in there. I just told him "The bike don't know, it's all clean w/going together"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Combustion Chamber   Cleaning Combustion Chamber Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Cleaning Combustion Chamber
Page 1 of 1