GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Buying a GRiSO this weekend!

Go down 
+10
BB43215
Nobleswood
GHTE
Pete Roper
Grisonut
paulbrice
cognosticator
wyno
beetle
Thirtyaughtsix
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Thirtyaughtsix
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Thirtyaughtsix

Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Sun May 06, 2018 4:29 am

Hello all, brand new and just registered to the forum. As per the title I am 99% certain I will be buying a brand new 2017 1200 SE this weekend, it will be my 2nd bike and first one bought new or used. My other bike is a '75 850T that I restored myself, so I wont go as far as to say I bought it used Very Happy

So what can I expect? I've only seen them in person, the one I'm about to buy will be the first one I've so much as sat on and I'm wondering how a 6'0 tall 150 pound person would fare.

Is there anything I should do or be aware of as a first time owner of a brand new stock GRiSO? Any mandatory upgrades, maintenance, fuel mapping, quality of life mods or anything of the like? What should I do and don't do in regard to the break in period? How long/far should said break in period be? What will having 8 valves feel like?

And what about these mirrors, any good bar ends or something lower profile at least than what comes stock?

Tell me everything I'd ever need to know, links are more than welcome
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Sun May 06, 2018 4:51 am

Thirtyaughtsix wrote:

Is there anything I should do or be aware of as a first time owner of a brand new stock GRiSO?

As a GRiSO owner, you are special. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Quote :

Any mandatory upgrades, maintenance, fuel mapping, quality of life mods or anything of the like?

You will be told the swingarm bearings and shock linkages should be pulled and greased. Believe it.

The throttle bodies are never balanced at the factory and rarely during pre-delivery. Quite often both air bleeds are open. Attend to that.

If your six feet tall, you may want to invest in lowered footpegs. Unless you have a 4 foot torso and 2 foot legs.
Knight Design are the go-to.

Quote :

What should I do and don't do in regard to the break in period? How long/far should said break in period be?

Don't lug it. Ride at varying RPM. Load the engine without revving it to redline, but don't be afraid to take it to redline. First service at 600 miles. Use fully synthetic oil. Don't argue.

Quote :

What will having 8 valves feel like?

Awesome!

Quote :

And what about these mirrors, any good bar ends or something lower profile at least than what comes stock?

I like bar end mirrors. They reduce buffeting.

Welcome!

ghetto

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Sun May 06, 2018 5:00 am

I'm 6 foot and 213 lbs and I ride with the standard footpegs and I've had the bike 5 years. It felt strange at first with pegs seeming so high but I'm used to it now. You may not need to get lowered pegs. Get a beetle map for it (the guy before my post), it will make your bike run much better. Plus everything Beetle said. and welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
Thirtyaughtsix
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Thirtyaughtsix

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Sun May 06, 2018 6:13 am

beetle wrote:
Thirtyaughtsix wrote:

Is there anything I should do or be aware of as a first time owner of a brand new stock GRiSO?

As a GRiSO owner, you are special. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Quote :

Any mandatory upgrades, maintenance, fuel mapping, quality of life mods or anything of the like?

You will be told the swingarm bearings and shock linkages should be pulled and greased. Believe it.

The throttle bodies are never balanced at the factory and rarely during pre-delivery. Quite often both air bleeds are open. Attend to that.

If your six feet tall, you may want to invest in lowered footpegs. Unless you have a 4 foot torso and 2 foot legs.
Knight Design are the go-to.

Quote :

What should I do and don't do in regard to the break in period? How long/far should said break in period be?

Don't lug it. Ride at varying RPM. Load the engine without revving it to redline, but don't be afraid to take it to redline. First service at 600 miles. Use fully synthetic oil. Don't argue.

Quote :

What will having 8 valves feel like?

Awesome!

Quote :

I like bar end mirrors. They reduce buffeting.

Welcome!

ghetto

I'm pulling the swingarm right out of the gate huh? Never played with a carc before, how long do think that will take me? And shock linkage as in rear shock I'm guessing? I'll have to give these a search, I'd hope someone has done this and posted it w/pics already.

Same with throttle bodies, never played with these either. Is the air bleed just a switch I can flip on the body perhaps?

What kind of synth oil should I use? Filter? How often am I changing both? What all am I doing for the 600 mile service? Keyword there being "I" as it wont be my dealer doing it as my dealer is hardly mine as they're 3 hours away and I'll have 600 miles within the fortnight, not renting a truck again to do a service I'd like to think I can do.

Any recommendations on bar ends?
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Sun May 06, 2018 7:20 am

Go to the member tech section

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

about anything you need/want to do is in there.

Swingarm service, aothough this says Stelvio it is the same for the GRiSO

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Congratulations on a great bike. I just did my valves for the first time and synced the TB and reset TPS. all in the tech archives
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Sun May 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Ride it a lot before changing footpegs; I'm 6'3 and I think the seating position allows me flexibility to move backwards enough that I don't feel cramped (ie don't push yer nuts onto the tank - unlike BMW R I had before) - it's a personal thing so just try and decide
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Sun May 06, 2018 2:24 pm

Thirtyaughtsix wrote:

I'm pulling the swingarm right out of the gate huh? Never played with a carc before, how long do think that will take me? And shock linkage as in rear shock I'm guessing? I'll have to give these a search, I'd hope someone has done this and posted it w/pics already.

Yes you are. It's a big job. That link that Jerry posted is a good one. Unfortunately, grease is scarce in Mandello Del Lario, or the factory shares one small jar between all the production lines. There will either be a token amount, or nothing but the lightly smeared rust proofing grease the bearings are packed in from when they're made.

Quote :

Same with throttle bodies, never played with these either. Is the air bleed just a switch I can flip on the body perhaps?

Nope. Read this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :

What kind of synth oil should I use? Filter? How often am I changing both? What all am I doing for the 600 mile service? Keyword there being "I" as it wont be my dealer doing it as my dealer is hardly mine as they're 3 hours away and I'll have 600 miles within the fortnight, not renting a truck again to do a service I'd like to think I can do.

10W-60 for the engine. 80W-90 for gearbox. 85W-90 for bevel box. You could use 80W-90 in both gearbox and bevel box.

Quote :

Any recommendations on bar ends?

I just bought chinese knock-offs from eBay. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Sun May 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Guys...isn't the first service at 900 miles?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Sun May 06, 2018 10:25 pm

Somewhere between 500-1000. It won’t shit the bed as long as it eventually gets done. It’s just it will run better after it’s tuned properly.

Pete
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Mon May 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Enjoy your bike and do the various tuning up bits mentioned above over the next 12 month or so.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Mon May 07, 2018 8:00 pm

Thirtyaughtsix,

Good choice on the GRiSO. It's going to be quite a jump from the 850 T !

Who are you buying the bike from ? Although you're a distance from Cleveland, the guys at Cleveland Moto are Guzzi aficionados who actually know what they are doing. If you need them.

I imagine at some point you'll be heading to SE Ohio to find some roads with curves. When you do send me a PM & I'll recommend a few enjoyable places.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Thirtyaughtsix
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Thirtyaughtsix

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Mon May 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Nobleswood wrote:
Thirtyaughtsix,

Good choice on the GRiSO. It's going to be quite a jump from the 850 T !

Who are you buying the bike from ? Although you're a distance from Cleveland, the guys at Cleveland Moto are Guzzi aficionados who actually know what they are doing. If you need them.

I imagine at some point you'll be heading to SE Ohio to find some roads with curves. When you do send me a PM & I'll recommend a few enjoyable places.

Cheers

Cleveland Moto is actually handling a new clutch installation on my 850T right now as I don't have the facilities to do it myself at my new apartment, and am over an hour away now from my friends garage where I restored it. I jokingly asked my girlfriend about the addition of another bike to tide me over and to my surprise she said her only stipulation that it be a brand new bike, and I did NOT rebuttal her.

That said Cleveland was my first call towards a GRiSO but they don't have any, so I'm headed to cadre cycle in Cincinnati
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Tue May 08, 2018 3:53 am

Cadre cycles are another great shop. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
BB43215
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BB43215

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Tue May 08, 2018 12:45 pm

Nobleswood wrote:
Thirtyaughtsix,

the guys at Cleveland Moto are Guzzi aficionados who actually know what they are doing. If you need them.

Cheers

I second that! and congrats on the new GRiSO!
Back to top Go down
https://columbuscraftcocktailtour.com
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Tue May 08, 2018 2:03 pm

congrats on the new bike they are gorgeous :-)
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Tue May 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Congrats and welcome to the Ghetto!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
FrontRangeRider
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FrontRangeRider

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Tue May 08, 2018 6:50 pm

Congratulations on the new GRiSO. You're going to love it!
Back to top Go down
rupew
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
rupew

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1Wed May 09, 2018 2:16 pm

enjoy!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying a GRiSO this weekend!   Buying a GRiSO this weekend! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Buying a GRiSO this weekend!
Page 1 of 1