GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

washed my bike, now it wont start

Go down 
+5
Pete Roper
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
eeyore
PunkScout
9 posters
AuthorMessage
PunkScout
Carlotto
Carlotto
PunkScout

washed my bike, now it wont start Empty
PostSubject: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:45 am

So I took my GRiSO to the wash today. I use the pressure washer thing, but I'm careful not to aim it at the engine and all. Done this lots of times over the ownership of many bikes. Long story short once I'm done I go to start the engine and it just cranks. Crank crank crank. Nothing. So I hit the button again - cranks , tries to idle, tach bounces kind of between 1,000 RPM and 500 RPM and then stalls out after 5 or 10 seconds. Sometimes it'll backfire as it stalls out.

Anyone else done this before? I must've gotten something wet that I shouldn't have, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 am

Try drying the plugs first.
If you have a standard exhaust with a cat don’t let the engine run for long if it is misfiring.
Back to top Go down
PunkScout
Carlotto
Carlotto
PunkScout

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:49 am

Can do.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:30 pm

Just a note - Moto Guzzi recommend NO pressure spaying at all. Just hose pressure only in a downward direction. It's all in the manual. Try spraying WD40 or similar in suspected areas. Does sound like wet plugs (or at least one) though.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:10 pm

I use a pressure washer on mine, as previously documented. Even when ghezzi claimed some unsupported disaster would occur. A frenzy of spraying produced no aforementioned doom. I even take it to the car wash and get right amongst it. GRiSO has never failed to start, the wheel or swing arm bearings haven't fallen out, and the shock linkages haven't dissolved.

Just sayin'. Very Happy

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:27 pm

The swingarm bearings are the most vulnerable simply because the seals are shit but yours are stuffed fuller then full of super-tacky marine grease so they have a better chance than most! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:36 pm

I too have used pressure washer on mine many times - no issues, but I am careful where I aim.
Back to top Go down
PunkScout
Carlotto
Carlotto
PunkScout

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:31 pm

Yeah, I'm careful where I aim, like I said, done it before, no issue - I guess this time.. there was an issue. I have it at the guzzi place drying out - I'll go see if it'll start tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
PunkScout
Carlotto
Carlotto
PunkScout

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:38 pm

And I went by this morning, yup - it just needed to dry out. Lesson learned... when washing the GRiSO, be very careful about where you aim the thing because holy crap that bike hates getting wet. It's all dried out, running perfect, no more CEL, no more no starts or backfires or anything - back to perfect. Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
nblades
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
nblades

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:05 am

I pressure wash mine all the time. The only thing I do different, is to cover the speedo with a plastic bag. Otherwise I get humidity behind the screen, and it takes days for it to dry out.
Back to top Go down
PunkScout
Carlotto
Carlotto
PunkScout

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:12 am

I'm glad you have better luck with it than I did. A clean bike is a happy bike!
Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:31 am

PunkScout wrote:
And I went by this morning, yup - it just needed to dry out. Lesson learned... when washing the GRiSO, be very careful about where you aim the thing because holy crap that bike hates getting wet.  It's all dried out, running perfect, no more CEL, no more no starts or backfires or anything - back to perfect.  Thanks guys!

Yep mine is allergic to water too. As a result I've been using Meguiar's Waterless Wash & Wax and couldn't be happier. Smells pretty too.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:59 am

I rarely bathe.  

My Guzzis, that is.   Wink

A corroded ignition switch on the EV years ago led to a long conversation at the side of the road with an oddly interested cow on the other side of the fence.  That was followed by an expensive tow and more complication$, all almost leading to missing a daughter's wedding.  Bad shix there. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I do wash the Stornello after an off-road outing (and, most recently, even the GRiSO after a day of rain on a multi-day trip), but with low-pressure nozzle, and then use a leaf blower (again, on low pressure) to get rid of excess and especially hidden moisture.

Mostly -- tho I hate to admit being like George W.  jocolor  -- I use "products" instead of water.

Nobleswood is inbound "as we speak," so I better get back to getting the herald trumpeters, etc., in place.  cheers

Bill
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:06 pm

They spray wash the insulators of high Voltage switchgear with water - LIVE
I have a theory that says clean water is non conductive, it's dirty water that shorts the engine out.

I use the carwash high pressure hose on all my engines, so far it hasn't caused a failure, not electrical anyway.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Kiwi_Roy wrote:

I have a theory that says clean water is non conductive, it's dirty water that shorts the engine out.

It's not theoretical, it's true. Water is non conductive, it's the impurities in it that conduct. Water spray will not conduct, only big drops or puddles, or a slow moving unbroken stream.

Spraying isn't the problem, it's what's stays behind after...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: washed my bike, now it wont start   washed my bike, now it wont start Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

washed my bike, now it wont start
Page 1 of 1