GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!

Go down 
+16
Steak
RIKBRIANT
DeepSpace
sideshowbob
eeyore
bahamazoo
Stubbie
sidrat
Oz1200Guzzi
kiwi dave
ratso88
davem
LBC Tenni
waterbottle
beetle
Pete Roper
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Empty
PostSubject: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:25 pm

Well we found out why Mark’s bike was making a funny noise! It had no bloody oil in it! Well it did, about 400ml!

Amazingly the big ends, although scuffed, were the only damage we can see!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So why did it drink a sump full in 1500km? Well apart from the fact it was a new motor I have no idea!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:40 pm

And now my embarrassment is public, I would like to say that it never ran hot, never did anything weird, never even flickered a light on the dash.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

kindoy2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:42 pm

....and it was 2330km!

Rolling Eyes

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:46 pm

Don’t sweat. We’ve all missed the obvious from time to time. The question is why did it do it? As I said on the phone it’s like the weird thing twin TB 750 Smallblocks do of being fine for ages and then suddenly, for no apparent reason, they drink a sump full in less than 200km. I’ve no idea why they did that either but the later models don’t do it! Go figure???

Oh, the distance it took is fairly immaterial. It’s still far too little!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:52 pm

And we have shells in stock! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:20 am

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:21 am

Pete, no self respecting shaved ape would ever admit to building something that then fucked up.
Therefore, by extrapolation, you can't be related to the silverback.

Speaking of monkeys with a razor, just picked up a half finished hardly custom.
I watched as said 'shaved ape' used a pair of long nosed pliers for cracking the brake bleed nipples, then a pair of multigrips to tighten large chromed nuts. When that got too difficult he got a large shifter.

Everything he touched had bite marks on it.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:39 am

It’s not so much as a fuck-up, (Although I’ve got a lifetime of those behind me and probably a few ahead still!) it’s just a mystery. There is no evidence of where it went! We filled it! Mark checked it before he left for the rally! There is no evidence of it being burnt. There is no muck in the airbox or drains! The pipe is a tiny bit dirty but nothing like you’d expect from something burning a sump full of oil! It’s just vanished!

Once again it’s one of those things that can only be explained by the unicorns having drunk it! Fuck those unicorns!

As it is? Meh? No real damage and now he’ll be stupidly anal about his oil! Bonus! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:47 am

This gives me the screaming shits ( Vindaloo Curry type ) How is this possible? I can’t remember but are the oil rings sensitive to which way up they are fitted ? Is the air box wet with oil ie excessive blowby ? The mind boggles scratch Boggle Boggle Boggle Boggle Boggle Boggle scratch
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:09 am

There's no oil in the airbox. When I checked prior to the Budgie, there was the usual mist coating. There's no leaks, no pools gathering under the bike.

Fuctifino!

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:27 am

Spooky. Lemme go check my oil now. pale
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:42 am

I once read a test where a gear box was filled then emptied with Redline heavy shockproof oil. The engine/transmission was run for 500 miles with no damage, the oil residue had kept on lubricating the gears.
To loose that much oil from the engine itself is peculiar to say the least.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:26 am

LBC Tenni wrote:
Spooky. Lemme go check my oil now. pale

No, don’t.

This is an experimental engine. Apart from the fact it has been built outside factory parameters, (Which I think is irrelevant.) it has been used for map development purposes that put it well outside the norms of standard operation.

I currently have no idea why it drank its oil. It may never do it again, but if it shows signs of it then we’ll address it.

Really though unmodified 1200’s do NOT use oil beyond a certain point. As long as your engine is healthy there is NOTHING to worry about.

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:04 am

I once owned a Yamaha RZ500 V4 2 stroke which would burn 1 litre of oil every 1000 to 2000km. About half the burn rate as the G14. Everybody could see my RZ smokin, or smell it if they were blind.

I have had several R Nine T customers empty their sumps within the same distance as Mark, but nobody ever complained about the haze or smell, and 10W/60 absolutely stinks compared to Castrol R.

Where does it go? Nobody knows! scratch
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:14 am

My 1200 never used one drop of oil. Don, I don't think you (or anyone else) need worry about it.

This 1400 is not your regular 8V, and I was hard on it from the get-go. I don't think it burnt it, and I don't think it leaked out. Well, not all 3 litres of it anyhoo. It's had a few leaks, but probably lost maybe a few mills at best.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:53 am

I've worked on Pratt and Whitney 4000's that would do a similar thing.
The term used then was "Hiding Oil". It's a big engine so it could hide a lot.
The fix was usually something very simple, a sticking vent valve was the most common. Internally leaking fuel/oil heat echanger was the next.

A small motor would for sure would show this leakage rate or burn rate. Check the simple stuff first.

But, you knew that already. Probably better than I do.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:04 pm

davem wrote:
I once read a test where a gear box was filled then emptied with Redline heavy shockproof oil. The engine/transmission was run for 500 miles with no damage, the oil residue had kept on lubricating the gears.
To loose that much oil from the engine itself is peculiar to say the least.

A spurious claim. Even if the gears could take it the bearings would be toast.

Also in the engine the majority of the bearings are plain bearings. These simply can’t function without oil. My greatest concern at this point though is for the camchains. Without a doubt their lifespan will of been compromised. The question is by how much?

Right at the moment though we’re going to re-shell it, clean the sump out thoroughly, stick fresh oil in it and keep our fingers crossed.

Pete
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Was the sunp ever filled? I realise this is a provocative question, but I've experienced similar with a Tonti gearbox that Pro Italia forgot to fill.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:47 pm

It must have been. The oil was a tad over half on the dipstick before I went to the Budgie.

Plus, I've done 5000+ km from when it was built. There's no way it could've lasted that long without oil.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:01 pm

If we hadn’t filled it when it was built Dave it wouldn’t of lasted a minute! Really. Plain bearings simply can’t work without oil.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Fair 'nuff. I wasn't trying to stir the pot.

If it's any consolation, I once refilled the oil tank on my '67 Triumph Daytona back in the day. I was impatiently watching for the oil to rise to the top, before I realised I forgot to replace the bung. A very oiled up boot was the result. and a nasty sight outside my Grandparent's house. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:13 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
Fair 'nuff.  I wasn't  trying to stir the pot.

If it's any consolation, I once refilled the oil tank on my '67 Triumph Daytona back in the day.  I was impatiently watching for the oil to rise to the top, before I realised I forgot to replace the bung.  A very oiled up boot was the result. and a nasty sight outside my Grandparent's house.  Embarassed

Did this once on my Sport and a few times on my BSAs (though these leaking was a sign there was oil in it - when it stopped you were in strife). Much embarrassment ensues, but don't tell anyone.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:48 am

Did you accidently make it a two stroke :-)
Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:42 am

Ghezzi your probably lucky that shaved ape didn't touch you. You'd have those bite marks you mentioned.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:38 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!   Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Kissed on the arse by a golden fairy!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next