GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What is the PCV?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

What is the PCV? Empty
PostSubject: What is the PCV?   What is the PCV? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello all,

I'm currently GRiSO-less but still looking.
In the meantime I'm reading the various forums about various problems and one fellow
was trying to fix his GRiSO after it was left idling and it shut itself off.(Or just died)
In the course of troubleshooting and finding the melted Phase Sensor to be the cause several people told him to eliminate the PC and PCV.
Can you folks enlighten me what a PCV is , why was it installed, and why should it be removed?

Thank you much.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

What is the PCV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the PCV?   What is the PCV? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:11 pm

Probably referring to a Power Commander which is an un-necessary and ineffective map manipulation device touted as the answer to all fueling woes and spruiked by charlatans.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

What is the PCV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the PCV?   What is the PCV? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:27 pm

Thanks Peter,

I was just watching your 2014 Youtube video about the roller tappets with the missing roller key or whatever you called it.
Very informative.
It's this kind of thing that has me a little apprehensive about buying a MG.
I'm used to owning japanese bikes that never had any problems.
I guess these quirks and frustrations are part of the GRiSO charm but geez whiz.
I've got my eyes open for an older GRiSO (2013 or later) but have given up on a '11 or '12
because of these valve problems.

I'm glad you guys are out there. You are a valuable resource.

tvboy
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

What is the PCV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the PCV?   What is the PCV? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:38 pm

If you read up on this forum you'll find most of the problems you're likely to encounter. Apart from the flat tappet issue and the factory's grease phobia they are assentially pretty bloody robust and in the overall scheme of things and reliable.

Incidentally the idea that Japanese bikes are faultless is a well manufactured fiction but a fiction none the less. They also suffer from the grease phobia and often have linkages delivered dry and steering stem bearings with only 'Transport' grease on them. It's just nobody bothers checking them! Ignorance is bliss!

Pete
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

What is the PCV? Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO issues   What is the PCV? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi Peter,

I didn't mean to sound snotty or imperious but in my experience both of my Yamahas were put together with everything greased and no mechanical or electrical issues. Granted, they were both pre-electronic ECUs,pre-fuel injected,yadda yadda.
Things were simpler back then but still no problems. One Yamaha had a shaft drive which was glorious. (1982 XJ650RJ)
I put about 40k miles on the two and never had a problem with anything.
I was just assuming everyone was having my kind of luck.

I haven't talked myself out of a GRiSO but I am the kind of guy who likes to understand why a problem exists and then find a permanent
and proper solution for it. Don't get me wrong, I find myself wondering why Mercedes-Benz and Jeep do what they do sometimes.
I'm not complaining about just Moto Guzzi. I'm an equal opportunity complainer. ha.

I'm looking at a 2012 GRiSO with 5k miles. Going to call the dealer to ask if it's rollers or flats.
I heard 2012 was the transition year.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll be asking about other stuff if I can't find it here.
Tvboy

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

What is the PCV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the PCV?   What is the PCV? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:50 pm

I was simply pointing out that suggesting Japanese products were without issues and that there was somewhat more of a *Risk* associated with Guzzi's is a false premise, that's all.

Apart from the rather serious issue of my original motor having eaten itself due to the flat tappet fiasco my GRiSO has basically been a turn-key proposition since day one. My shitbox Stelvio has had twosets of flat tappets through t and still counters on quite happily. It's done 130,000 km now, uses no oil and steadfastly refuses to break! It did shit it's starter motor a few weeks ago but that is the first one I've had to replace in twelve years so I put that down to Shitty luck! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

What is the PCV? Empty
PostSubject: Very good point   What is the PCV? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:09 pm

Pete, I think you put it very well.
I really like the MG's exposed heads with easy valve adjusters.
My 650 Yamaha had shims the dealer had to fuss with. Didn't need it often but I couldn't do it.
I think it really boils down to due diligence and common sense maintenance.
I'm pretty good at both so I'm ready I think.
I've never heard of a bike with 81 thousand miles. That's impressive!
Australia is sure the place to wrack up the miles.
I was there many years ago. Twice. Loved it both times.
I will continue my pursuit until I find my GRiSO! excited.
They are sooo cool looking. I like the green but that red...oh baby.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

What is the PCV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the PCV?   What is the PCV? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:26 pm

If you're looking at a 2012 you must find out if it's a roller or flat tappet bike. All it takes is to pop off the rocker cover. If the vendor won't do that? Walk away. There are plenty more GRiSO's out there and the cost difference between a flat tappet and roller tappet bike will probably be minimal. No point in buying a problem unless it is stupid cheap.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

What is the PCV? Empty
PostSubject: 2012 tappets   What is the PCV? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Thank you.

I've learned that much now. ha.
I've emailed the dealer and asked that very question.
It's too far away to see in person right now.
I asked a different dealer about a 2011 and he said they did all the services but it was never rollered.
That was a deal breaker. Price was too high to have flats.
I'll learn Tuesday about this 2012. Price is a little high for me but it looks clean and if its rollered then...
We'll see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What is the PCV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the PCV?   What is the PCV? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What is the PCV?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: Who you is?-
Jump to: