GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Howdy from another new guy

Go down 
+10
Fabrizio
cbxtc6
sidrat
anguscameron1966
Steak
Pete Roper
beetle
wardentm
not-fishing
GrisoGannon
14 posters
AuthorMessage
GrisoGannon
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
GrisoGannon

Howdy from another new guy  Empty
PostSubject: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:34 am

Greetings from Ann Arbor Michigan USA. I’m a few months into owning my 2012 8v 1200 SE GRiSO (with an Agostini ❤️). I’m not new to Guzzis, I also currently have a 2012 8v Norge, T-3, Eldorado, and an Ambassador but am hoping to learn more about my GRiSO. I’m experiencing what I’ve read is common with these bikes about front fork vibration...other than that she rides like a raped ape and sounds like a dream with the Agostini. Cheers![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
not-fishing
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
not-fishing

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:55 am

Nice GRiSO ---- wire wheels, 8v, Dart 

Front fork vibration??  I haven't seen that on my 07' G1100 (50,000+ miles with a fork rebuild @ 40,000).

Then again I've got 5 rings showing above the triple clamps so my forks are a little shorter because I have short legs.      Smile

On a side note which is your favorite traveling bike for multi day trips?  I'm still having engine problems with my Lemans so ................always looking at another guzzi

I don't think I can bring myself to putting a big parabellum windscreen on the GRiSO. The Dart Marlin is about as big as I can stand.
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:42 pm

G'day Gannon ? Newboy ? ??
Welcome from us all down under in Tasmania.
Enjoy your GRiSO and your time here at the Ghetto.
Some pickies please, we love pickies ......
Stay safe and warm.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:02 pm

Welcome!

ghetto

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
GrisoGannon
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
GrisoGannon

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:34 pm

not fishing....the Norge, no question. GRiSO is great for day trips and causing heck all over town. Lol
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:36 pm

Steering head bearings needing adjustment or replacement?

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:35 pm

GrisoGannon wrote:
I’m experiencing what I’ve read is common with these bikes about front fork vibration...]

Where'd you read that? I've never heard of, nor experienced it.

The GRiSO holds a line like a freight train if you don't screw with it's rake/trail/suspension/spec'd interfaces foolishly.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:38 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Steering head bearings needing adjustment or replacement?

Oooooh, I take that back. I wore out a set of front wheel bearings on my 2nd GRiSO and it felt like I was running on a flat...

So that's something to check as well.

SD

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
anguscameron1966
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
anguscameron1966

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:43 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:06 am

welcome aboard, are you talking about vibration when you brake?
Back to top Go down
cbxtc6
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
cbxtc6

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:49 am

Welcome to the Ghetto!
I am from a few hours SW of you, and also have a Norge I put many, many miles on Cool
I have never encountered the front end vibration you are experiencing. scratch

PS, I've heard 'ole Ann Arbor is a Wh...
Razz
Back to top Go down
GrisoGannon
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
GrisoGannon

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:51 am

Thanks for the replys everyone...and for the warm greetings. I read something online some weeks back regarding vibration but can’t find it now. Anyway, I hope it’s not a steering head bearing and that my slight vibration on uneven roads is a product of needing to properly adjust preload...or maybe my front tire wearing unevenly, either way I suppose more diagnosis is required.
Back to top Go down
Fabrizio
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Fabrizio

PostSubject: Welcome   Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Im new as well, got my first MG yesterday, 07 GRiSO 1100, riding in Grand Rapids MI
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Welcome GrisoGannon.
It's not too hard to check the head bearings, but you will need to jack the bike to raise the front wheel clear of the ground, Ive just re-read your first post, you are not new to bikes so should be easy for you Thumbs Up I notice in the photo there is No preload on the front springs, Where are your compression and rebound damper screws set ?
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:44 pm

Waterbottle,
how can you tell there's no preload ? scratch
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:11 pm

I have someone hold the bars steady while jacked. take hold of the forks at the axle, pull forwards. if there is free-play, you will feel it as a clunking.

The amount of Preload required is a bit subjective, I know it's in the manual somewhere ( Pete probably knows it from memory ) Too much preload can make the steering feel a bit stiff and sometimes notchy.
My personal method of setting the steering head and swing arm bearing preload is to screw the nut down just enough to remove all free play,  and then a fly shit or Bees dick (small amount ) more. Too much can lead to other issues like Brinelling the bearings.
CAUTION If anyone here is not confident in doing these adjustments , Please get the assistance of someone who has done it a few times
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:15 pm

Vibration is known on the Braking wavey rotors, yours does not have this.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:00 am

Waterbottle has eagle eyes!!
(he sees everything What a Face )
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:57 am

The part that amazed me, Ron, was that from a photo you could tell there was no preload !

Now you’ve explained it as preloading the bearings deduced from the behavior instead of preload of the suspension I’m with you.

Still learning . Razz
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:33 pm

Nobleswood wrote:
The part that amazed me, Ron, was that from a photo you could tell there was no preload !

Now you’ve explained it as preloading the bearings deduced from the behavior instead of preload of the suspension I’m with you.

Still learning . Razz

Nobleswood, The Silver 7/8" (22mm) adjuster on the fork tops is screwed right out Thumbs Up
I have no idea ( many people will attest to this ) what is actually going on here. It was Pete Roper who suggested to check the steering head bearings, And that's a good place to start.
I have had an experience on my Green GRiSO where Both the Compression and Rebound adjusters where screwed in too far. It was horrible to ride. The forks compress hitting bumps but don't come back up quick enough before hitting the next bump. Result is, the forks "Jack" themselves down. The front end was Skipping and vibrating badly when braking.
Back to top Go down
GrisoGannon
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
GrisoGannon

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:25 am

Thanks everyone. The current settings are how this used GRiSO came to me.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from another new guy    Howdy from another new guy  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Howdy from another new guy
Page 1 of 1