GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Black Betty, TWGOE

Go down 
+2
Bill Hagan
rustyrotor
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Black Betty, TWGOE  Empty
PostSubject: Black Betty, TWGOE    Black Betty, TWGOE  Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:53 am

He comes, softly, stealthily, like a racoon raiding garbage in the night, heralded only by the music of Ennio Morricone.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

He bears no tools, no parts, just a greasy white laptop and some Lonelecs almost out of electrons, managed by a prodigious, if hairless, brainpan.

They call him...Roper.

I had the excellent good luck to be able to get a day of his time, and a suitable place, ti ringrazio tanto Gugliemo e Moto Grappa!

The mission: Rollerize and map Black Betty, a procedure when done in concert hereafter to be known as Roperizing.

He was kind enough to let me get my fat mitts in there and do some of the entry-level work, though I snuck in behind him and did the shims and seals on the right-side exhaust valves when he wasn't looking. Now I don't feel so useless. If they shit the bed you'll know why.

Roper: Watch those fasteners, they seem to be made of cheese.
Me: Yep, not even cheddar, brie.

The result, with some important work remaining to be done:

The bike is transformed.

It is, no shit, a metamorphosis.

Here ya go:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yeah.

Feels like it’s lost 100lbs. Feels like it's gained 50 Ft/lbs.
Feels like my dreams of a hypermotard.
Squirt. Squeeze. Sweep. Squirt. Repeat. I fear for my license.

Rollerizing quieted the valvetrain, though a bit of noise is returning. Seems.
Going back to the paper air filter element improved induction sound and helped the new map.
Tossed the snorkel.

Thus far I have only had it out in two weather conditions, warm and dry, cool and damp for a total of about 200 miles.
Fueling has been very good, best ever and consistent in both cases. This is new. No popping or snorting. Might miss that.  

But no surging at steady state, no abrupt transitions, no bullshit. Not gonna miss that.

Whether only subjectively or in reality, the engine running better is having a succession of interesting consequences.

I’ve already mentioned that the bike feels lighter, bigtime. That will be power, torque especially. The other must be strictly subjective but real nonetheless. The bike is generally more tractable and seems to handle better, this because it is not surging, and the pronounced on/off throttle snatch is just about gone. Weird, I know, it also seems to shift a -hair- better, not saying much, as Betty, the bitch, always seems to be on the verge of grenading its cogs.

Because everything is better, now I can actually toss it into a perfectly normal turn with my so-called brain focused on the cages, the road surface, the trajectory, rather than all that plus contemplating what idiocy the motor might deliver me, and how to cope with said idiocy.

That’s big.

Thank you. Can’t say that enough.

There’s always a downside, and mine is that now I’m more aware of my suspension deficiencies. All in good time. I don’t have the place or the skills for proper flogging anyway.

Remaining to be done:

Ride it like I stole it
Do not flush. Stick to a normal oil interval
Adjust throttle bodies/reset TPS (expect a smoother engine after this)
Bleed hydraulics
Learn Guzzidiag, play with CO2 trim (need basic explanation effect)
Increase shock spring preload, decrease (slightly) compression/rebound
Decrease fork spring preload, decrease, (slightly) compression/rebound…reduce oil volume 40ml+viscosity by .5 (which 1st?)
Find stronger shock spring? Better Shock?
Find local Showa expert.
Install EBC FA244 HH pads up front
Oh yeah, install “GRiSO” sticker on tank.

Pete mentioned the Arrow Titanium bits, any other goodies you folks like that are not lipstick on a pig or farkle?
What mirrors you like? I see mostly elbow.

Gotta track down a fuel smell...
Wait, what's that?! Is that oil on my boot again?!

Roper: There. You see? Easy as pulling a greasy stick out of a dog's bum.
Me: Yeah...I see...(What's the stick doing up the dog's ass, Pete?)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty, TWGOE    Black Betty, TWGOE  Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:25 pm

So, apart from the dog, everybody's happy?
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty, TWGOE    Black Betty, TWGOE  Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:56 pm

ghezzi wrote:
So, apart from the dog, everybody's happy?

Apparently not, as the OP just emailed me saying he'd "just trashed a hummingbird feeder chucking an empty wine bottle at a doe. Go ahead, laugh. I would." I did. cheers

Bill
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty, TWGOE    Black Betty, TWGOE  Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:27 pm

What makes you think the dog wasn’t happy?
Just got a thank you note from him!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty, TWGOE    Black Betty, TWGOE  Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:17 pm

"Anally yours!"

Gotta love good manners.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty, TWGOE    Black Betty, TWGOE  Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:09 am

they are very poetic when running well, a supermotard, not sure about that, they are pretty long!
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty, TWGOE    Black Betty, TWGOE  Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:24 am

Your bike has been

Your bike has been "Roped".

'
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty, TWGOE    Black Betty, TWGOE  Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:37 pm

I'm happy to help out with Guzzi diag and the throttle body balance. but if you come near me with the stick I'm going to break your arms :-)

hopefully the weather cooperates tomorrow and you Bill and I can thrill the crowds at Katie's car and coffee and ride him like we stole them in the process.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Betty, TWGOE    Black Betty, TWGOE  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Black Betty, TWGOE
Page 1 of 1