GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Another tappet question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

Another tappet question Empty
PostSubject: Another tappet question   Another tappet question Icon_minitime1Sat May 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Hey all,

New member with an 8V SE that I really enjoy. It was built in Jan.of 2012. Anyone know when Piaggio actually installed the roller tappets into these bikes. The owner of the dealership I bought it from believes I have the flat tappets. I couldn't speak with the mechanic who performed the 1st service unfortunately. Another forum is posting that Piaggio claims the roller version was incorporated into the GRiSO production in April of 2012 I believe.  It has an A8 engine fwiw. I thought they all had roller types but it appears I am wrong.

I guess I could take the cylinder head covers off and check myself - thought I would run by the forum first though.

Cheers,

Ed

I guess this post should have been put into the Grisology / tuning thread forum...oh well.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Another tappet question   Another tappet question Icon_minitime1Sat May 24, 2014 6:00 pm

Very easy to check, simply take off one of the 'Wings' and pop a rocker cover. Only tools required are a screwdriver to pop the badge off, a 3mm Allen key for the HT lead cover screw, a 4mm Allen key for the three wing bolts and a 5mm key for the rocker cover bolts. Be very careful when removing the plug cap, other than that very straightforward.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Another tappet question   Another tappet question Icon_minitime1Sat May 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Word on the street was that roller tappet motors were finding their way into CARC bikes mid-2012 manufacture dates.  My VIN was amongst the very earliest in the range and is confirmed to have the roller tappets.

Curtis Harper on WG wrote:
According to Piaggio, Roller tappets are in the following engines.

Stelvio AC : After AC12596 03/12/2012
GRiSO A8 :    After 13524     04/12/2012
Norge AA :  After 12214     04/18/2012

Just check your motor number and see if it falls above or below A8 - 13524.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Another tappet question   Another tappet question Icon_minitime1Sat May 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Thank you for the quick replies guys.

I heard some louder than normal tapping / ticking coming from the right cylinder head on Thursday after being out for just over an hour. I had never heard this before and it prompted me to pull off the road immediately. I've read a few posts on this type of development and am wondering what may have caused it. Thought it would be good to know what's actually inside the heads for my own info as a start.

Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Another tappet question   Another tappet question Icon_minitime1Sat May 24, 2014 6:54 pm

It's #013293 Steak and does say A8 so I guess it's still a flat tappet model. Will find out for sure soon and post it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another tappet question   Another tappet question Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Another tappet question
Page 1 of 1