GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Oil Pressure Light

Go down 
+4
kiwi dave
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
Kiwi_Roy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:35 am

My bike does the usual light show, all the lights come on
But If I wait for the light show to finish without starting shouldn't the Oil light stay On?
Mine doesn't but then I think only one of my Guzzis had a light that worked and that failed eventually

So what's the point of the light show?

Anyone out there with a light that comes on when the engine stops with the key On?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:49 am

The light show is just a power on test. Oil light shouldn't stay on.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:57 am

Unless there is a problem.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:26 am

beetle wrote:
The light show is just a power on test. Oil light shouldn't stay on.

Without the motor running shouldn't it be on like every other bike otherwise how do we know the switch is ok?

We know the bike is in neutral when the green light is on, we know when the stand is out

Are you telling me it only works while the engine is running?

The manual page 32 seems to indicate it should be

"Caution"
"If the oil pressure warning light remains On after the start etc etc" I interpret this as the light goes out after starting

It would be a simple task for the ECU to monitor the switch and alarm if it's not closed before start, perhaps it does.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:22 am

The oil pressure sensor is normally closed. Oil pressure while the engine is running keeps it open. The dash startup test checks it's closed. If it was open before the engine is running, you will get a SERVICE warning. If it stays closed after the engine is running, you will get a SERVICE warning, and the light should come one. The dash has smarts to know this, and it's state is tested at switch-on.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:29 am

I went through a lot of oil pressure switches on my Breva 1100.  I bought a bunch of Guzzi California switches before I owned a Breva, but they would last sometimes as little as 3 weeks before not closing properly on engine shutdown.  When trying to start, I got the SERVICE warning of death right after switching the ignition on.

I had to start the bike, allow it to run for about a minute, and then shut it down.  When the ignition was then switched back on, the error was cleared.  It became a pain in the ass.

Only when I fitted a pressure switch with the genuine part number for the Breva 1100 was the problem solved.  I have no idea why I had issues, a pressure switch is exactly that, nothing more nothing less.

I did become very proficient swapping them out, could do one in about twenty minutes.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:53 am

Tricky lil' buggers.... I had SERVICE light of death for weeks... dash error 07 ( scratch ) indicates oil switch... start up before the dash dance is done and the SERVICE icon disappears for the ride.

- make sure it IS just the switch before repeatedly doing this however...

Remember, the SPANNER icon means a service is due, while the SERVICE light indicates you need to get the spanners out... Rolling Eyes

It is likely the spade connection to the switch causing the error.
I finally got a replacement switch, got down deep in the valley, but then couldn't fit it as I didn't have a 24mm spanner that I could use in there... so cleaned old 'faulty' switch (the actual oil hole bit) refitted it (curiously 22mm), and crimped the connection up a bit tighter.

She's been happy now for a few months.
-New switch and flex-head ratcheting 24mm spanner sitting quietly on shelf.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:51 am

beetle wrote:
The oil pressure sensor is normally closed. Oil pressure while the engine is running keeps it open. The dash startup test checks it's closed. If it was open before the engine is running, you will get a SERVICE warning. If it stays closed after the engine is running, you will get a SERVICE warning, and the light should come one. The dash has smarts to know this, and it's state is tested at switch-on.

That makes perfect sense to me, I didn't think Luigi was that smart
I guess to verify the logic I can pull the wire off the switch and it should fault
Thanks for the clarification.

Roy
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:33 pm

kiwi dave wrote:

Only when I fitted a pressure switch with the genuine part number for the Breva 1100 was the problem solved.  I have no idea why I had issues, a pressure switch is exactly that, nothing more nothing less.
It may have had a resistor to check the wiring eg closed Voltage 3 Volts. open Voltage 9 Volts anything else trouble, I have seen that before.
Don't quote the example I gave, its just a wild guess.
Back to top Go down
daviscr5
Carlotto
Carlotto
daviscr5

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:16 am

My light stayed on for a while intermittently depending on the bike's mood when the key was turned to the on position (before and after the bike was started). Turned out to be a crimped wire at the oil pressure sensor. Now it goes off properly following the initial light show.
Back to top Go down
Stromgriso
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stromgriso

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:51 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I'm experiencing the same symptoms as Kiwi Dave as well.  I did my first oil change yesterday and was expecting a momentary low oil pressure light due to air in the lubrication system as a result of the oil and filter change.  No low oil pressure light occurred.  
I shut the bike off with the kill switch still no low oil pressure light.  This is normal? When turning the ignition on I get the light show and then the normal neutral and kickstand lights stay on.

The bike's running great and I don't want to fiddle with something that is or isn't broken...

I would like to thank everybody in advance not only for input on this issue but for all the GRiSO wisdom I've glommed onto here in the last 2 months that I've been an owner. Thanks! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Perfectly normal.
Back to top Go down
Stromgriso
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stromgriso

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:28 pm

Thanks Pete. Must be a Guzzi thing. I just checked our V7 Stone here in the stable and it works the same way. My VStrom works the opposite.  All good then, thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oil Pressure Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil Pressure Light   Oil Pressure Light Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Oil Pressure Light
Page 1 of 1