GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

what color is oil? SL vs SG

Go down 
+5
sideshowbob
eeyore
davem
Pete Roper
tvboy
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

what color is oil? SL vs SG Empty
PostSubject: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi all,

My new-to-me 2011 GRiSO came with engine oil that is a light greenish-yellow color.
The original owner told me the dealer used 10w-60 but he could not remember the brand and the dealer in Greensburg PA didn't believe in putting useful information on the work orders so I can't tell from that. (The dealer closed up shop a couple years ago or I'd call and ask him several questions.)
The oil has about 800 miles on it and looks good to my eye and it hasn't turned dark yet.
I plan to change the oil in about 2000 miles but does anyone know what brand might have been used ?
My local MG dealer in Portland OR stocks Motorex but I don't know what color it is either.
So who makes greenish-yellow 10w-60?

This brings me to another question.
I hate to bring up a subject that's been debated ad nauseam but here goes:
I've been reading about different oil grades and additives. I read on Guzzitech (I think that was it) that an oil ending with SG is better for the engines that have flat tappets. Fine.
If the engine has roller tappets then is the SG oil still required?
Would that imply that an -SL oil (Liqui-Moly 10w-60 for example) is OK for the roller tappet types and so I'm wondering if that makes sense? I'm not an oil expert so I just want to understand the practical differences, if there are any.
I don't have a manual for the 2013 or later engines so I don't know what they require.
Is there a good Moto Guzzi official that I might contact to get their opinion?
I'm not looking to cut corners but I like options. I am going to use 10w-60 full synthetic but am really curious about what is acceptable and what should be off limits.
Feel free to steer me toward the part in the forum that may address this.

I can't wait for all the interesting answers.

Tvboy
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:16 pm

Any decent name brand 10/60 full synthetic is fine.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:52 pm

Well, That was simple.

I like it. That takes the mystery out of it.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:53 pm

But wait, What kind of oil is currently in my engine? greenish-yellow.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:03 am

Who gives a fuck? If you're draining it out does it matter?

First rule of internet board.

DON'T START AN OIL THREAD!
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 am

If in doubt get rid of the bloody stuff and as Pete says stick in any decent 10/60. No brainer.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:32 am

I'm not concerned about the oil but was curious about the brand.
I've never seen green-yellow oil and thought someone might know.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:31 am

So the oil is at least 2 years old of unknown origin and you a planning a further 2000 miles?
An oil an filter change is cheap insurance.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:44 am

Ahhh. I just realized the cause for confusion. I was writing faster than I was composing.
My bike goes in for rollers next week and they will change the oil.

I was thinking about the next time I will actually change it and thought it would be about 2000 miles from now.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Maybe the dealer will know what brand was in it. I've never seen oil color that wasn't golden.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Wait till you see the blood red stuff.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Who makes that?
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:05 pm

Motul, good stuff.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks, Good to know.
Back to top Go down
silage
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
silage

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:27 pm

Agreed, Motul = green
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks Silage

But sideshowbob said Motul is red. Did I miss something?
I did see somewhere on the web that Redline is red. Is that true?
I'll probably get my hands on Liqui Moly 10w-60. Found a pretty good deal on it and it's local.
No idea what color IT is. ha
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:33 am

tvboy wrote:
Thanks Silage

But sideshowbob said Motul is red.  Did I miss something?
I did see somewhere on the web that Redline is red. Is that true?
I'll probably get my hands on Liqui Moly 10w-60. Found a pretty good deal on it and it's local.
No idea what color IT is. ha

Redline heavy shockproof gear oil is pinky red but that shouldn't be in the engine.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:57 am

Please, make it stop.....!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:15 am

Fuck me, all new engine oil I've ever used in the last 50 years has been a nice golden syrup/honey color,
from Valvoline to Penrite to Shell to Castrol to whatever............... except for my 2 stroke bean oil.

New its golden honey coloured, old its black, OK?

My LPG only (car) engine it's still golden honey coloured after 10,000km but I still change it.

Warning:
If its black, its fucked!
If its green, its fucked!

Don't care, oil is cheap ............... fucking change it and stop with this bullshit.

OIL THREADS?
GET IT?
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:20 am

Not wanting to start an oil debate.....
The 8v 1200 has oil cooled heads. Moto Guzzi spec is for a ester synthetic oil - most oils claiming to be synthetic are not ester based.
The oil is circulated around the exhaust valves and oil cooler without any thermostat- hot, cold, hot cold etc.
Put what you want in your bike but make decisions armed with the facts.

Liquid molly is cheap, mazola cooking oil is probably less but it doesn’t make it right.
Motul 10 60 ester is red. If you have motul and it’s not red it’s not ester based oil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:29 am

Hey I'm not angry, I'm not even thinking ill of you. Got a skin full after the AFL grand final.
Yoo Hoo, West Coast Eagles beat the Magpies.
Don't understand all this malarkey over oil color?

RULE No. 1
You buy a second hand bike, don't care what the salesman/owner said, don't care what the service manual said, don't care what's on the all the previous invoices.

CHANGE ALL FUCKING FILTERS AND FLUIDS!

Tvboy, I've been towing fucked bikes for a living for over 10 years, lost count of the number of bikes with 8 - 9000k and seized motor. "Salesman said they serviced it before putting it on the lot".

jocolor geek Basketball bounce .............. and the Earth is still flat, trust me.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:56 am

Wow.

I actually do care about this shit which is why I'm asking.
People who know me know I am a bit of a preventive maintenance nut. I replace things before they break. I change fluids before the schedule calls for it.
I've never been towed,stranded,locked out,crashed,etc.
As stated before, the bike came to me with 500 miles on the clock since its last change. It's getting changed this week.
The dealer will probably put Motorex in it because that what this Moto Guzzi dealer has.
If I was an expert I'd tell him to use something else.
Problem is even Moto Guzzi doesn't seem to mind. Liqui Moly meets or exceeds MGs spec according to MG. So do many other oils as far as I can tell. Motul, Redline, etc. Great.
So far, I've been told to use a specific oil and any good high quality 10w-60. Well, which is it?

My car's Mobil 1 0w-30 turns black in less that 1000 miles. I have never seen engine oil not turn black after a short time. It's my understanding its suppose to. But again, I'm no expert.

I like to learn things. I was just asking if someone could tell me what brand of oil is green-yellow. If you don't know then fine.
I appreciate those of you who provided useful insight and advice.

I'm done. Sorry to bother you.
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:17 am

tvboy wrote:
Wow.
So far, I've been told to use a specific oil and any good high quality 10w-60. Well, which is it?
To be accurate, none of the above.
- You don't need a specific oil, you don't even need motorcycle oil - unlike most motorcycles, our engine oil does not get to the clutch nor to the gearbox. Also, you don't have to care about the corporate deals between Piaggio and ENI (ex-Agip)...
- "any good high quality 10w-60" is not correct either - "good high quality" is a fuzzy definition.

The correct is "Use whatever 100% synthetic 10w60 oil you can find and believe its fair priced".

Having roler tappets, you don't have to care about API specs either. To be honest, if I had your bike, I'd use the lowest (oldest) spec I could find localy, even if I can't think of a reason for that.

Note: My 1100 has flat tappets, so, unlike you, I have a reason to care a bit about specs (zddp). Last time, here (island at east border of Europe), Motul "moto-something" costed to me same price as RedLine, I got the second for my flaties - You don't need to subject yourshelf to those dilemas...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:41 am

Oh no!
Another flattie earther! affraid
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:08 am

Hey "tvboy"...It's olive oil.
Italian put that staff in everything, don't you know?
Try it in your salad Son, you'll be proud.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:37 am

tvboy wrote:
Wow.

I actually do care about this shit which is why I'm asking.
People who know me know I am a bit of a preventive maintenance nut. I replace things before they break. I change fluids before the schedule calls for it.
I've never been towed,stranded,locked out,crashed,etc.
As stated before, the bike came to me with 500 miles on the clock since its last change. It's getting changed this week.
The dealer will probably put Motorex in it because that what this Moto Guzzi dealer has.
If I was an expert I'd tell him to use something else.
Problem is even Moto Guzzi doesn't seem to mind. Liqui Moly meets or exceeds MGs spec  according to MG. So do many other oils as far as I can tell. Motul, Redline, etc. Great.

My car's Mobil 1 0w-30 turns black in less that 1000 miles. I have never seen engine oil not turn black after a short time.  It's my understanding its suppose to. But again, I'm no expert.

I like to learn things. I was just asking if someone could tell me what brand of oil is green-yellow. If you don't know then fine.
I appreciate those of you who provided useful insight and advice.

I'm done. Sorry to bother you.

GRiSO service schedule is 12 months for oil and filter.
Is your car diesel?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what color is oil? SL vs SG   what color is oil? SL vs SG Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

what color is oil? SL vs SG
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next