GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Rear Carc Bearing suspect

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

Rear Carc Bearing suspect Empty
PostSubject: Rear Carc Bearing suspect   Rear Carc Bearing suspect Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am

Changed the oil in the Carc (engine and gearbox too) several weeks ago. Now getting a leak of fluids onto the rear wheel. No indication of oil migration down the carc, so gear box et al eliminated. Also the rear end feels a bit squirrely under acceleration. I originally put that down to oil on the wheel but it does it in the straights as well.
I let the carc oil out and it was not fresh looking at all, rather it was a dull grey colour.
Taking the rear wheel off indicated a slight dampness/ leak from the seal, me thinks it would come out more quickly under load as both recent test rides of a kilometer out and back was enough to  make the rim and tyre quite wet.
The 1100 has 45,000 kms on it. I have had her for 2 years and put on 20,000kms. Oils have been changed every 5-6,000 kms (bit anal I know). This recent episode has come on very quickly.
I assume once the bearing goes it deteriorates quickly? I cannot feel any play however when I try to rock the rear wheel

Question; Is this a home job or one requiring special tools and expertise.
(note: I try to do most of my own maintenance but lack experience and confidence it matters such as this.)

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com

PostSubject: Re: Rear Carc Bearing suspect   Rear Carc Bearing suspect Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Everything you need to know, by the maestro.
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: Rear Carc Bearing suspect   Rear Carc Bearing suspect Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks for posting ghezzi. Looking at the work skills needed I think I need an appointment with Pete.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Rear Carc Bearing suspect   Rear Carc Bearing suspect Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Only problem there though is that I'm away until the 19th of December! BUT!!! If you want to go up to Bungendore to drop the misbehaving one off I can arrange for a 'Loaner' to be available for you to use until I get back to fix it. It won't be the correct colour but it'll work!

Pete
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Rear Carc Bearing suspect   Rear Carc Bearing suspect Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 pm

side bar Mr Roper.... if CARC oil is found to have escaped forward into the shaft tube...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

does that suggest that the gasket ring #3 (above) has failed, or that the boot #1 (below) has failed?? (or both  Sad )

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Rear Carc Bearing suspect   Rear Carc Bearing suspect Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Either or.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Carc Bearing suspect   Rear Carc Bearing suspect Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Rear Carc Bearing suspect
Page 1 of 1