GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?

Go down 
+13
Seafrontpete
GuzziSteve
V11
Brent S
moby
Grisonut
GHTE
sideshowbob
davem
2highlander
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
ecs
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Interested in looking into retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO. Anyone know what is involved? I see our German friends seem to have worked it out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Trade it on a Tuono, you get 50% more power n torque and about 50kg less for your money.
Back to top Go down
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:32 pm

But a Tuono is not a GRiSO..
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:56 pm

This project interests me.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:08 pm

well the bare bones are there from either the Sport or Norge, or from one of the Stelvios. Apart from hiding the ABS unit somewhere (it will be a challenge on the GRiSO), the rest is well documented, but will require fitting different brake components front and rear, and a bit of plumbing/wiring.
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:01 pm

The ABS unit will be hidden under the seat, exactly at the place of the removed snorkel of the airbox lid.
Back to top Go down
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:26 pm

This is a GRiSO with ABS I found on another site: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Says a dealer did it with Stelvio OEM parts. There is a member here (v-mannkiel) who says he has retrofitted it but I tried to send him a message but it says "this user does not wish to receive private messages"
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:59 am

I have only had one bike with ABS (Triumph Tiger) and for the life of me I couldn't get the thing to kick in. The only time I wished I had ABS on the GRiSO was when I dropped the GRiSO on a wet lawn with a dab of front brake, would ABS saved the day? I'm not sure, you will never know until you really need it.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:56 am

Dave, no.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 am

And then add pitch and yaw control, air bags, and make it a driverless bike. Just get on and let the computer do it all:-(
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:06 am

I know ABS is great technology; however I love my GRiSO all the more as it is pure bare bones riding. No engine maps, slipper clutch, multi level traction control, multi level ABS, electronic suspension etc. etc.
I believe the brakes and handling are pretty darn good, the suspension with a few tweeks (esp the shock) and a Beetle map and Bobs your Uncle.
This bike is so different to my Multi as to be every bit as enjoyable to ride because of its simplicity, no nonsense solid engineering and sheer rideability.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:54 pm

I've been in two instances where I'm glad I didn't have ABS...
One of them I escaped a wreck by putting the bike sideways to force it into a different trajectory via locking the rear wheel, can't do that with ABS.
The other one, same scenario but couldn't avoid the crash this time. I had to lay her down! lol I did avoid T-bonning the moron that cut me off by again, locking the brakes...I was at work the next day. Had I gone into a head on collision due to ABS, I'm pretty sure the outcome would have been bad for me.
Now in the wet I'd welcome that technology but not in dry conditions, fuck that.
I feel that if you can't ride a motorcycle without ABS, maybe you should reconsider this.
Get comfortable in front of your TV set with a Forza video game and you won't have to rely on ABS. Me think you should be safe... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:08 pm

How many riders actually practice braking, I mean the full on oh-shit type that might just save your life.
Does anyone when they get a new bike find a quiet stretch of road and test the brakes to their limit, not many I suspect.
Back to top Go down
moby
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
moby

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:51 pm

Grisonut wrote:
One of them I escaped a wreck by putting the bike sideways to force it into a different trajectory via locking the rear wheel, can't do that with ABS.
The other one, same scenario  but couldn't avoid the crash this time. I had to lay her down! lol  I did avoid T-bonning the moron that cut me off by again, locking the brakes...I was at work the next day. Had I gone into a head on collision due to ABS, I'm pretty sure the outcome would have been bad for me.
Now in the wet I'd welcome that technology but not in dry conditions, fuck that.
I feel that if you can't ride a motorcycle without ABS, maybe you should reconsider this.
Get comfortable in front of your TV set with a Forza video game and you won't have to rely on ABS. Me think you should be safe... Very Happy

Agreed re ability to lock rear end is a good trait. Have utilised this a couple times as above. The Le Mans Mk II with the foot lever activated front and rear always had me nervous hoping not to need this capacity to lock rear wheel. Maybe a front- end only ABS is best?

Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:59 pm

My biggest hesitation when I considered buying my GRiSO was the absence of ABS. I know, there’s countless stories of when manual braking without ABS theoretically resulted in a better outcome than may have been the case with ABS. Really, that’s just speculation though. When you’re blasting along your favourite piece of road, picking your braking points, then I agree that ABS is rarely required, unless of course you overcook a corner. Has been done before. However, it’s the situation of a damp road and some flog drives out in front of you, and the instant reaction is to grab a handful of front brake.........that’s where ABS can save your arse. Period.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:19 am

I think ABS may have saved me from my crash.

Edit: I think I still would have crashed, but perhaps at a lower speed. One will never know.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Last edited by beetle on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
moby
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
moby

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:58 am

beetle wrote:

I had an accident a few months ago and ABS would have have prevented it. Front wheel washed out under straight line braking .... there, it's out, confessed, ... and after 45 years of riding and never having had any rider responsible loss of control until this one.

Which to show, the bruises or the newly fandango'd bike which I got back yesterday ? I'll post next week when the matris suspension is done.

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:35 am

beetle wrote:

Maybe some fork oil may have helped too, Mark?
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:47 pm

moby wrote:
Grisonut wrote:
The other one, same scenario  but couldn't avoid the crash this time. I had to lay her down! lol  I did avoid T-bonning the moron that cut me off by again, locking the brakes...I was at work the next day. Had I gone into a head on collision due to ABS, I'm pretty sure the outcome would have been bad for me.

Agreed re ability to lock rear end is a good trait. Have utilised this a couple times as above.  The Le Mans Mk II with the foot lever activated front and rear always had me nervous hoping not to need this capacity to lock rear wheel. Maybe a front- end only ABS is best?

Good point on the Le Mans integrated brakes (I think that's what they called it)...would scare me as well.

Most riders put too much confidence in ABS in my opinion, especially the novice guys. False sense of security.
If you go too fast in a turn, doesn't matter...you will end up in the ditch, ABS or not.
I'm not closed minded to ignore the benefit of that technology. Like I said, on wet pavement and gravel roads etc... I'll welcome the option but in normal dry conditions I don't want it.
But it's me, being very subjective as I learned riding on dirt bikes when I was a kid so I'm used to negotiate a turn on unstable grounds without using a lot of brakes or none at all.

@ davem: Totally agree...not many riders at all practice the "Oh shit!" moment with braking when they get a new bike. But they should, because I do and I made sure to pay special attention on the GRiSO since it's a heavy beast. Certainly the heaviest I ever owned...
Not gonna lie, I was nervous back in 2010 when I got my first GRiSO. Took me a few runs to correctly drift the back end a bit and it was scary to find the lock up pressure point with the front brakes on a bike that heavy. I wouldn't attempt this on a Gold Wing. lol
Back to top Go down
ecs
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ecs

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:00 am

beetle wrote:

I cannot see a reason not to have it, especially if it contributes just a little bit to saving an off.  Would be a lot less black stripes on the road that is for sure.  

Still waiting to see if anyone has done it on the board.
Back to top Go down
V11
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
V11

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:15 am

I had ABS on my Aprilia; it either worked perfectly and I never noticed or it didn't work at all. Very Happy As an aside my MkIV had linked brakes and I loved it. The GRiSO has no ABS and no linkage and it works fine too. Matter of fact just last week someone had leaked a diesel line around a busy roundabout here in Newcastle, the front end started to slide, backed of the throttle, stood the bike up a bit, no brakes applied and came out the other side with a smile. I don't reckon ABS would have helped in that situation anyway.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:49 am

A lot of these "things" are to make up for a pile of non-skilled experts. Sad 'innit?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:11 am

V11 wrote:
I had ABS on my Aprilia; it either worked perfectly and I never noticed or it didn't work at all. Very Happy As an aside my MkIV had linked brakes and I loved it. The GRiSO has no ABS and no linkage and it works fine too. Matter of fact just last week someone had leaked a diesel line around a busy roundabout here in Newcastle, the front end started to slide, backed of the throttle, stood the bike up a bit, no brakes applied and came out the other side with a smile. I don't reckon ABS would have helped in that situation anyway.

So you had a situation where brakes were not required, and then you use it in a way to suggest ABS is irrelevant?

Curious.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:14 am

Here's an idea, why don't you armchair experts, haters, and riders so skilled that the rest of us quiver in our leathers simply fuck off? If Greg wants to do something to his GRiSO that will not harm it in anyway, then we should help him out instead of bagging out ABS.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:50 am

Ok, I could install it if he wanted, BUT, I won't! Why? LIABILITY LAWSUIT. I am f$cking poor enough already. Good luck w/it. Good idea and all that. You will most likely be doing it on your own.
For the electrics, has to custom tied into system and ecu. You want to copy this from what doner bike the unit comes from and have it all sorted before you start, Installing Integral Braking would be a piece of cake. Another thing to consider is if you have a wreck, will your insurance cover it on a modified bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?   What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What is involved in retrofitting ABS to a GRiSO?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next