GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story

Go down 
+7
Oz1200Guzzi
bahamazoo
Grisonut
Pete Roper
Kiwi_Roy
Guzzi Cat
Richard
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story   GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:40 am

Problem solved. Installed the new battery. Push the magic button and motor cranked. bounce

Thanks everyone for your help. Learned a lot with this. cheers
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story   GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:54 am

Richard wrote:
There is another technical data sheet from Moto Guzzi that is more in relation with the 14 gauge / 2mm2 wire modification. My GRiSO has already this modification done.

MG recommend this due to difficulty to start the engine when warm/hot.

Here is attached the document. I guess it is self explanatory. I can translate if needed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Richard, could you please translate that, I would really like to see what they have to say
I am particularly interested in Startus Interruptus
I note even in this article they still don't draw the starter item 25 correctly with two coils.

Thanks
Roy
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story   GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:20 am

No problem Roy. I’ll do that for you. Stay tuned. Wink
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story   GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:11 am

Here we go. Web translated. Hope it makes sense  clown

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story   GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:42 am

Hey, translated into "startus interruptus" fix.
Back to top Go down
smddanny
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
smddanny

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story   GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:26 am

Well.. I have a pair of GRiSO.. and they both love to ruin the batteries.. even if they are kept on a smart charger.  Some of my other bikes have batteries 10 years old on the same sort of chargers with no issues if you can believe a battery would last that long.. its true..

But I think the GRiSO can kill the battery because of its angled disposition in the bike... I think that leaves the top rear corner of the plates to be not immersed in acid and free to oxidize and as such the life goes way down.  My bikes with vertical batteries do tend to last much longer.  

So i would say remove the battery and leave it on a smart charger if the bike is to be stored for any length of time.

Last edited by smddanny on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Move Dirt
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Move Dirt

PostSubject: Charge voltage is incorrect. AGM batteries require 14.8 volts to fully charge. Get a battery charger that specifies AGM battery type and your AGM battery will rejuvenate. Also, your charging system voltage may not be optimal for AGM.    GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:09 am

Richard wrote:
Before purchasing a brand new battery and spend some more euros, I wanted to ask here if I have the exact assumption. 

I have a one year old Yausa battery ref. YTX20CH-BS I did prepare myself as per the manufacturer recommandations.

I don't use my beloved GRiSO very often but from time to time I charge the battery with an optimate.

Few days ago, I was not able to start the engine. Could hear the relay clic but nothing else. Tried with the battery booster. Nothing. Suspect

Did check the fuse, cleaned and greased the battery connectors etc. They are ok.

Took out the battery from the bike, charged it for 14 hours. Voltage was above 13 V. Yes !

Reinstalled the battery in the bike. Power on. Kill switch off. Pushed the start button and ... nothing. Oh No ! Tried again with the side stand folded just in case. Still No.

But what happened is I could see on the dashboard that the voltage dropped down almost instantaneously to 9.5 Volt instead of being at a nice minimum of 12.5 V  What a Face

To me it looks like to battery is out of order even though it has only one year old but according to the experience here in the forum there might be another explanation.  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://www.movedirt.ca
Move Dirt
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Move Dirt

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story   GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:15 am

I expect that this subject is in reference to Absorbed Glass Matt batteries or abbreviated as AGM battery type.
I have experienced these mentioned conditions many times. That being, having what appeared to be a fully recharged battery only be partially recharged.
The fault being that AGM batteries require a charge voltage of 14.8 volts to achieve a full charge. A conventional battery charger that will work properly on a Flooded Cell Lead Acid battery will not fully charge a AGM battery.
I reviewed a few You Tube videos to provide a few Links. I was not impressed with that info and choose not to recommend poor quality instructions and recommend that the readers assess all information and use the manufactures instructions when possible.
I personally use chargers that are designed for AGM batteries for all of my industrial machines. For my seven motorcycles I used a variable DC power supply set at 14.8 volts to charge all AGM batteries. When convenient, to keep within the manufactures recommended charge current levels, I lower the initial voltage to a lower level to maintain a more appropriate charge current of 1 to 2 amps then gradually raise the charge voltage to 14.8 volts. When DC power supply current output drops 0.1 amps, or 0.0 amps the battery is fully charged.
I have found that disconnecting the batteries of less often used bikes more convenient than having to recharge those batteries before use.
Discovering this information has saved me a small fortune and much frustration from battery fiascos.
Move Dirt
Back to top Go down
https://www.movedirt.ca
pjm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
pjm

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story   GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:37 am

Im still on the original battery(09 8v GRiSO),34000m,kept on an optimate smart charger,still going strong(shouldnt have said that).cheers pat
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story   GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:29 am

Why Moto Guzzi aren't as reliable as the Japanese motor bikes regarding electrical wiring Ooh La La

They have good engineers over there too but they have only one Luigi Razz
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story   GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:14 pm

Richard wrote:
Here we go. Web translated. Hope it makes sense  clown

Thanks for the translation Richard.
Problem - Failure to start when hot
Cause - Insuficient wire cross section etc etc
I think they are referring to the wire from the relay to the solenoid, that is what I found on my 07 GRiSO, I increased the wire size to 18 Gauge and found the starter engaged 3 x as fast.

The real problem IMHO is Luigi, he doesn't understand that the inrush current is around 40 Amps, not 10
He might understand if he drew the solenoid with its two coils, I have yet to see a Guzzi drawing that shows it correctly
Both the Valeo and Bosch starters have had 2 coils forever.

A friend gave me a solenoid which I stripped down, here are the two coils

Here is another thread I started on the subject.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story   GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO Out of order - Another battery story
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2