12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Big Girl Blew Me

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:47 pm

just for the record here on the topic I have gleaned some more information on The Stella Clutch, the seeger ring and pressure plate (this is the thing that looks like a big circlip and the stamped part in the center if you are not familiar)

Seem to pretty commonly come loose (ie the clip pops loose allowing the pressure plate to float where ever it wants to go) some seem to have enough space to let the loose seeger ring get between the pressure plate and clutch disk.

this is one of the areas of revision in the clutch assy. that has been altered about 5 times since 2011. (the seeger ring retainer ears)

any way I have found 2 other Stelvios that also locked the rear wheel when they failed this way, and a third in pieces now waiting on a clutch assy.

Pia NA has not delivered any in the last 3-4 mths. and is not likely to deliver in the next 4.

The seerger ring coming out of the retainer and breaking stuff is still "wear" as of today not Failure

Pete, Will let ya know on the clutch, I am weighing the old retainer style risk vs having the thing off the road for another what is looking like at least 6-8 months now.

Been trying to figure out what it would bring parted out, might be the best plan right now.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO
GRiSO

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Which is weird because I can't see for yay life of me how, once the ring is properly installed, it could pop out??? I'm willing to take your word for it as unlike some of the screeching hysterics over at Mild you know what you're talking about but it is very weird. I've yet to see a single clutch issue....

Pete
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
Nibbio
Nibbio

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:29 pm

This is the kind of shite that worried me about buying a Guzzi and the reason I waited so long. My friends in the Triumph club told me I'm crazy to throw money at a Guzzi. But the GRiSO is just so damn lovely I couldn't resist. They can engineer and build the most beautiful bike on earth, but customer service is a completely foreign concept. The fools at Piaggio HQ in New York never did return my calls or emails about getting a replacement emissions sticker. Thank god for Harper's dealership in MO and the guidance from you guys on here. Without it I'd be screwed and unable to register my bike in the Peoples Republic of California. I think this shitty customer service is the only thing that keeps the Piaggio brands from really competing with the big boys worldwide. It's the only missing piece of the puzzle I can see. I'm praying that my GRiSO turns out to be one of the "good ones".
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:07 am

When you know cases where rearwheel locked up, isn't this something where the your highway traffic security people can get something done, recall wise? You could also get a cali 1400 clutch from europe. Don't wait on piaggo usa.

TLM has one in stock, you can have that quick, the guys ship worldwide each day

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:19 am

Honestly the GRiSO does not seem to have many problems, why I have no damn Idea,,,it seems to be Stelvio related, I had been on the horn with a lot of more major players yesterday and they seem to have seen this failure but almost exclusive to the stelvio...they make a lot more Grisos and tend to have a lot fewer problems with them.

My GRiSO has been very good its only issues are the 20lb air loss in the front wheel every 24hrs, and the idle Hanging at 2500 rpm from time to time and not wanting to come back down...I guess i need to leave it with them to get that one checked just in case it is something like the tps sensor or stepper or throttle bodies.

Honestly from what I see the ONLY bike company REALLY AND TRULY standing up for their product is Triumph and they seem willing to do anything to make it as right as they can, I have to put it that way because take their faulty ignition modules on tigers right now...they will replace them over and over till the bike will run all the time, and not say a word while doing it. They have replaced heads on the tex...guess they learned something from the 855 regulator/rectifier beating they took,,,too bad the scrambler is the only trumpet that does anything for me now

I really understand though when you are paying on a bike every month and it is sitting waiting on parts for a repair....for 6-12 months at times. It is reallly a bitch to keep making the payments and paying the insurance while it sits.

The big thing I see for Piaggio is they are going to have to be able to support dealers and supply parts in a reasonable time frame...6-12mths for delivery on a "wear" item is not reasonable
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:46 am

pauldaytona wrote:
When you know cases where rearwheel locked up, isn't this something where the your highway traffic security people can get something done, recall wise? You could also get a cali 1400 clutch from europe.  Don't wait on piaggo usa.

TLM has one in stock, you can have that quick, the guys ship worldwide each day

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The NHTSA could give two shits about a such a small issue with a small company. They do not really do motorbike issues as a rule it has to be really high profile or a relative of someone working there has to have been affected.

Thanks I will double check the part number, the cali 1400 and the last number I got yesterday off the Piaggio site are not the same but the parts may be if I can confirm it I'll look at going that way the cali part number ends in .107 the one I have yesterday for the latest stelvio ends in .102 do you know which is correct?
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:22 am

Uzid,

Have you done leak down tests on all the nipples on your front wheel?  I wasn't have quite the dramatic air-loss on my rear wheel that you describe, but it was significant.  We found one leaky spoke nipple and I was able to get it replaced under warranty.  Upon inspection, after removal, there was no obvious indicator of o-ring failure.

Point being, if you are leaking from one or more specific spoke nipples, remove and inspect both the nipples and the nipple wells in the rim.  Check for debris that may be inhibiting the seal of the o-ring.  Or just see about warranty replacement.

20 lb pressure loss in 24 hours is totally unacceptable. That would mean a 5 pound loss on a 6 hour ride, no good!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Hey were the leaky spokes the short ones by chance?

I usually have to air up the front during the day when i am out riding sometimes twice(you can feel it when the pressure had dropped), honestly I had been running dunlop Q2s and still am and thought they were just not seating on the bead perfectly dunlop tends to be a little rough with the mold on the beads and I have had small leaks along the beads with dunlops before.

I had just kind of lived with it, but when I mounted the new Q2 a few days ago it hit me that every little clip groove was empty which has nothing to do with sealing, but I wonder if maybe they forgot to finish that front wheel...The spokes aare all tight Guess it is time to get out some soapy water and go over the nipples.

it was a bugger re-building the rear on the stelvio (they did warranty the wheel but it took 8 or 9 months to come) which is why I rebuilt the old one.

The front I should just do, it will be easy, the rears are a bitch as they have an offset that you have to maintain just right as you do the truing...It would be easy for a real wheel builder... it takes me a while cause I just do not build many wheels any more. I kind of like doing it though it is a zen sort of thing.

I am really not wanting to start another big warranty fight with Piaggio right now,
Back to top Go down
Steak
L'Innominato
L'Innominato

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:38 pm

You know, I only had the one nipple, and I honestly can't remember if it was a short spoke. You've surely been harangued with more than your share of GUZZI QC issues…

I was able to dig up a photo Micha at MI took when looking for the leak. Still can't tell long or short though.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
http://www.grisoghetto.com
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:33 pm

since the disk is on the right when installed and that one is coming from the disk side it is a short one...I was just curious cause all the leakers I have seen pics of and folks I have talked to that have had one on the rear were short spokes, doesn't mean anything really but they are the most acute angle. They are also the ones with the most distinct long radius bend, it is near the hub...
I think these tend to straighten during the break in a little and need to be re-torqued after a few kmi, just as a matter of course

I think these are the ones to check a little more often on a new bike till it has 7-10k on it..ya know just a wrench tap

The GRiSO has been pretty solid actually, the only two things with it are the self adjusting front tire pressure...
and the one that has me stumped and a little concerned is that the idle hangs high like at 3000-3500rpm every so often and requires me to restart the bike to get it to come down...it is really intermittent and is not related to the mapping as it has done this since I brought it home, and with any map including just the straight 068 stocker...I have just not wanted to take it in and have it sit for months at the dealer while they try to reproduce the problem here and there. Kind of annoying to pull to a stop at a light and have the thing revving like mad and have to shut it down and re-start before the light changes
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Uzidzit wrote:

Thanks I will double check the part number, the cali 1400 and the last number I got yesterday off the Piaggio site are not the same but the parts may be if I can confirm it I'll look at going that way   the cali part number ends in .107 the one I have yesterday for the latest stelvio ends in .102 do you know which is correct?

Just looked up the part number in servicemotoguzzi website, the stelvio gets now the 2A000107. And I know several Stelvio got the cali clutch as replacement, when people complained about noise.

I looked and see that 107 clutch for all GRiSO and stelvio with the 8v engine. So it's one clutch for all. I also see that there will be a GRiSO 2015 model, since thats in the parts lists
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks Paul for the confirmation they show a throw out bearing in stock, as well, the 40% premium on price must be why they send none to North America Wink 

Don't know why the web site showed a different number when Sloan's logged on on tues, and checked for me.
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:49 pm

In fact I looked in servicemotoguzzi just as any USA dealer. So I have no clue about that either. Can imagine that they can't order the 102 part anymore.
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:16 am

I have just had some vet bills so it is going to be a few weeks before I can afford a grand in parts.

Nice to know my Apt. with Piaggio NA cutomer service on friday they blew off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Girl Blew Me   Today at 1:55 am

Back to top Go down

Big Girl Blew Me
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: The Darkened Recess™-
Jump to: