GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Low speed drop

Go down 
+4
Steak
wardentm
Richard
grisotx
8 posters
AuthorMessage
grisotx
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
grisotx

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:22 pm

I put the GRiSO down coming out of the driveway a little too fast into the street. That scraped up the right cylinder head and oil cooler cover along with busting the right mirror. I was able to pick it up and drive around without any real change in the feel. All cables seem to be in place. The lights are working. No oil/fluid drips under the bike from standing overnight.

However, this is my first drop at more than walking speed. There have been others while standing or while starting out or stopping.

What do I check for to confirm that I did not bust up something more than what eye can see?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:37 pm

And what about yourself ? Are you ok ?

I would check the bar, the forks and the brakes, static and dynamic.
Back to top Go down
grisotx
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
grisotx

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi Richard:

Thank you for asking. I am a little sore on the shoulder and hip. All the gear did exactly what it was supposed to do.

I will check all of the above.

Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Bugger .....
Better I suppose than out on the black stuff at speed ..
Good to hear your ok
cheers
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 am

Good you are ok. The most important.

Your GRiSO will probably run as before. Just some cosmetic adjustments to be done.

I had a similar story almost 2 years ago. Dropped at low speed but had broken clavicle and some nice "pizzas" between the hip and knees. The GRiSO was in better shape than me.

Then I realized how important are the protection gears.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:58 pm

Cosmetica, glad you didn't get too banged up. Most of us have done the same at one point or another...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
grisotx
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
grisotx

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:35 pm

An update -

I went for a 50 mile ride yesterday. When I got back in the garage this am, there was a little oil stain on the floor about 2 cm wide and I could see the oil stain around a bolt on the engine. I will get some pictures. I fell on the right but the bolt is on the left very close to the left foot peg.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:02 pm

There are lots of bolts! Pic is needed.
Back to top Go down
grisotx
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
grisotx

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:05 pm

Just behind the exhaust pipe

Up close - the area around is darker than rest of the motor. it is oily to touch and I can see a drop forming just below.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:31 pm

Well that is one of the bell housing nuts that holds the gearbox on. It's a dry studd so the oil isn't originating from there, or at least its impossible to see how it could be?

Looking at it it would appear that the seam between the gearbox and engine is wet. That would tend to indicate a leak inside the bell housing. If it is leaking in there it isn't the result of your drop.

Just out of interest how much riding experience do you have? If the answer is 'Very little' I'd strongly advise parking the GRiSO and getting a smaller 250-500cc single or twin to ride around on and get familiar with riding. The GRiSO is a huge, swinish thing and a real handful for a novice. I'd just think if you are inexperienced get the dropping and falling off done on a smaller, lighter, cheaper bike and come back to the GRiSO in a few months time. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

Pete
Back to top Go down
grisotx
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
grisotx

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:18 pm

You may be right. I had a 2007 Norge for almost 60K miles then sold it and have not ridden in about 7 years. I will give something lighter a shot for some time and come back to GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:26 pm

OK, I wasn't meaning to sound patronising, it's just if you're a novice, or simply out of practice, a great pig like a GRiSO can be a bit of a handful! There are a swag of bikes in the 300cc range at the moment that look like they'd be a real hoot! I'm seriously looking at downsizing from my Stelvio! It makes a GRiSO feel like a toy!

Pete
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:55 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
I'm seriously looking at downsizing from my Stelvio! It makes a GRiSO feel like a toy!

Pete

You could do worse than trying a test ride on the V85 TT. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:54 pm

60,000 miles on a Norge in around 5 years time. That's 12,000 miles a year. GRiSO should be feeling pretty light compared to that. You "Year Round Riding" location people are So Lucky!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:36 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:
I'm seriously looking at downsizing from my Stelvio! It makes a GRiSO feel like a toy!

Pete

You could do worse than trying a test ride on the V85 TT.  Rolling Eyes

Dave, it really doesn't interest me and it is stupidly expensive. Anyone would think that was a crime the way some people carry on.
Back to top Go down
jmardy
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jmardy

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:55 pm

A good idea after a drop is to loosen the lower triple clamp bolts, ride around the block, jump up and down on the pegs a few times so that if you loaded anything, it will relax. Obviously tighten to spec when you're done.

Also, I have a like-new set of mirrors and oil cooler cover. I was about to put all this stuff on eBay but IM me if you need any of it.
Cheers,
-John
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Low speed drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low speed drop   Low speed drop Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Low speed drop
Page 1 of 1